Breakdown cover

• Total voters

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I've never bothered being a member of any of these guys as I've always thought it to be a waste of money.
I did try joining the AA once when I lived in America. Turns out I needed the AAA. Lead to an awkward conversation...

I digress...

Seeing as Denise will soon have a "normal car", I feel I should do the right thing and get some sort of breakdown cover, take me home service etc.

The first to come to mind is the AA for no real reason other than they are millions of years old.
Pricing between the 3 is pretty much the same, any reason I should choose one over the other?

Who you with and why?

Methinks it's much of a muchness... I'm with Green Flag IIRC but I've never had cause to use them, so couldn't comment on them

You need feedback from people who break their trucks a lot.... Ian, Jon, Ray.. :whistle:

The AA have always done the job for me for about 20 years. The last 10 years have usually involved a muddy truck with big muddy tyres and they send the low loader no questions asked when I say don't bother sending anything else it won't fit and he won't fix it! Not that I've used them very often you understand ;)

Andrew Prince said:
Methinks it's much of a muchness... I'm with Green Flag IIRC but I've never had cause to use them, so couldn't comment on them

You need feedback from people who break their trucks a lot.... Ian, Jon, Ray.. :whistle:

I accept this may be a quiet thread due to it being a LC forum....
of to www.LandRoverClub........

Jon - I'd like to see the face when they see Ray or Ian's trucks. Not quite a Fiesta with a flat tyre.

I am also with the AA, on the odd occasion my car has needed to have a lift home from Lincomb it has not been a problem. Like Jon I tell them it needs a flatbed when I initially call and they just send one without bothering to send a bloke to tell me it's broke and needs a flatbed first.

Ian

Currently with RAC and was with the AA years ago. With the RAC cause they gave me a good deal a few years back and being the lazy sod I am have never moved off.

Only expierence was with the AA. Broke down with a motorbike in Camden. The problem was a faulty regulator on a Honda VFR750 (common issue) and when they quoted me 2 hours for somone to come and help me I told them to bugger off. I managed to eventually bump start it and limped home.

I really have breakdown cover for the mrs.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well here is my two cents worth for those that are interested :twocents-twocents:

I worked for a number of years on the motorway dealing with all manner of breakdowns and fender benders :auto-crash:

We found that the AA and the RAC were by far the slowest to respond and would very rarely respond to an accident unless it was really quiet. Those accidents that they did respond to, they sometimes charged extra which the punter had to find and then claim back from insurance. They are two very large companies that insist for the most part on sending out their own vans. All very well and good but back in 2006/7 they cut back so much to save costs that there really isn't enough resources out there to cover their own work during busy periods. For this read holidays and general good weather.

They also had a thing going that I have been told has stopped (but who knows) where they had to sell stuff like batteries and had to make a quota so were forcing sales on unwary motorists.

I personally would go for Green Flag or Britannia as they both contract out to local garages so generally make the 60min deadline they all promise and are also happy to deal with RTCs. Green Flag do have a few of their own trucks but not many.
I changed from the RAC to Britannia back when I was doing that job and can't fault them. Obviously, driving an ultra reliable motor I rarely use them but when I do need them they always come up trumps.

I would just like to say that this isn't a slating of the guys in the RAC/AA who do the work because they are generally a good bunch, sadly working for companies who cut too many resources.

I had one really bad experience with AA in a hire car. On the M6 coming home from Carlisle it starts to run a little tight but before I could pull in at the next services to check the vitals I hear a big bang from the engine bay and see engine parts scatter all over the road in my rear view mirror (IIRC the BEB's had gone and blown through the sump).
I managed to coast into the hard shoulder and found an AA card in the glovebox, told them what the problem was and they said they were really busy in our part of the country but someone should be with us within the hour. An hour and a half later I ring them back and they apologise but say they should be with us in half an hour. We could tell they were busy, we saw two other AA flatbeds go past with broken motors on the back while we waited.
An hour later a guy pulls up in an AA van and starts setting up a draw-bar to tow us with. A little confused, I ask him "are you planning on towing us the whole way on that?", he replies "no, just to the next services a couple of miles away, the next available flatbed will take you on from there".
I kid you not, we waited 6, yes, SIX bloody hours at that services until an unmarked flatbed came to pick us up. Apparently the AA wait that long before considering using local contractors to do the job.

Never again. I am with Green Flag, have been since I passed my test. For the most part they use local contractors anyway, and they have always been straight forward to deal with and never kept me waiting more than an hour. I don't think I'll ever see a reason to change to another company, unless they hike the prices right up.

Jim.

I have been using Britannia for the European cover mainly, I get a discount through the CSMA its about £70 for the top cover which I think is very good.

Never had to use them, so cannot comment on the service.

My only experience of Green Flag is that they think it's ok to have the towed vehicles with their hazzard lights flashing away while they're going along.

24Seven said:
I have been using Britannia for the European cover mainly, I get a discount through the CSMA its about £70 for the top cover which I think is very good.

Never had to use them, so cannot comment on the service.

Forgot to say mine is CSMA too with full Euro cover.
Jon Wildsmith said:
My only experience of Green Flag is that they think it's ok to have the towed vehicles with their hazzard lights flashing away while they're going along.

May have just been one idiot Jon. Did he bother putting a light board on?

Jon Wildsmith said:
I wonder if you wound your window down you'd have heard their alarm going off? I've seen that before :roll:

After I'd nearly rammed him off the road because some of the indicators were obscured he tells me it's what head office tell them to do and sure enough head office confirmed they think it's a good idea!

Since we've been married we (March2000) we have been with the RAC & have been very impressed with them :D :thumbup:

Firstly they cover the person not the car so even if you are a passenger you are covered :thumbup:

We had them out once when the Impreza spat out a spark plug & they were with us very quickly (luckily just replaced the plug & we were off) :D

Then I had them out for my first Vit for a busted prop after a day @ Wagtail (Relayed from there back home to Essex) no quibbles or Q's :D :thumbup:

Then again for my second Vit with a busted Hiem linkage after a days laneing (Relayed from other side of Stansted to Home again no Q's they just got on with it) :D :thumbup:

Nice one RAC thank you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I bet there are horror stories to tell about all of them. The AA have always responded promptly when I've needed them but maybe I don't tend to need them at peak times. I think my old 80 went on the big yellow truck twice in 8 years and the 100 has been on once so far touch wood!

I figured there would be horror stories about each one, if enough people are asked, you'd eventually get bad stories...

So it seems pretty much up to price then. I guess for companies like Green Flag who mostly use local contractors, they will rarely have a "lack of vehicles" but with AA, could might have consistent service from them.

Right, off to look at last Jeep, hopefully it's not stolen / broken / gushing oil etc.

I use whoever Club Toyota are using ;) At the moment it's the AA, and was the RAC for a few years ...

All that's included in your Club Toyota membership. The only time I've needed them all was done by club Toyota - the suspension (air) packed up on the 120 and it had to go my nominated dealer - so they loaded it onto a flatbed and drove it to the Borders, some 50 miles away - no charge.

Excellent stuff ...

I have the cover that you get with Adrian Flux insurance. Never needed them, don't plan to, hope I never have to find out.

Chris

Back