Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Range Rover velar

silvercruiser

Hi All

i keep seeing the Advert for the Range Rover Velar. and i have to admit i quite like it!!

Its way out of my price range though.

Whats your thoughts on it?

You did ask, and I’m no recent RR fan, but it looks like a nice car.

That’s my problem, the Velar is a car, not a RR.

Velar might be a name that’s exracted from the letters Land Rover, and it might date back to the late 60s when it was used as a prototype anonymous name for the very first Range Rover produced, but that’s where it ends for me.

And it’s between $50 and $90 grand, a lot of money.

I guess you get a lot of car for that, and for some reason I’m hopeful that it won’t suddenly lock on all it’s brakes in the fast lane of the motorway on day 3 of ownership, but I’m admittedly being optimistic...

It is pretty. And I guess it’s quick if you get the higher spec engine.

And I’ve run out of things to say apart from it being from my old haunt years ago, the Land Rover stable.

Hi All

i keep seeing the Advert for the Range Rover Velar. and i have to admit i quite like it!!

Its way out of my price range though.

Whats your thoughts on it?
It's a Land Rover in a posh suit.

Take yourself to one side and give yourself a good slap. That should bring you to your senses. If that doesn't do it, read some Land Rover feedback on the internet somewhere.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

:lol:

Take yourself to one side and give yourself a good slap. That should bring you to your senses. If that doesn't do it, read some Land Rover feedback on the internet somewhere.

Subtle Rich, and tactful too...

Like it “...give yourself a good slap...” :violence-smack: :laughing-rolling:

You did ask, and I’m no recent RR fan, but it looks like a nice car.

That’s my problem, the Velar is a car, not a RR.

Velar might be a name that’s exracted from the letters Land Rover, and it might date back to the late 60s when it was used as a prototype anonymous name for the very first Range Rover produced, but that’s where it ends for me.

And it’s between $50 and $90 grand, a lot of money.

I guess you get a lot of car for that, and for some reason I’m hopeful that it won’t suddenly lock on all it’s brakes in the fast lane of the motorway on day 3 of ownership, but I’m admittedly being optimistic...

It is pretty. And I guess it’s quick if you get the higher spec engine.

And I’ve run out of things to say apart from it being from my old haunt years ago, the Land Rover stable.

Yes exactly it is very Pretty (in my opinion) and i cannot ever see myself in one due to knowing friends that have had Range rovers and with some pretty crap issues. one caught alight on the way home from the picking it up from the dealership brand new:lol: (i did give him a tiny bit of ribbing)

:laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:Duly Noted, I have taken myself to the side and slapped myself

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crammed full of electronics no doubt.

My view is that as members of this forum, our expectations from our vehicles is as diverse as the rest of the population.

Within our membership, we have folks who want their Land Cruisers to be pristine and as standard as Mr T intended, @Dervis Garip for example, if he doesn’t mind being named. His truck is superb and getting finer with every day of ownership.

At the other extreme are the @Jon Wildsmith ’s, who have off roaded to the extreme, to the point of eventual demise, some of his older threads have been superb.

A lot of us like me, are somewhere in between. My truck pleases me no end, its old, far from “comfortable” by modern standards, but I can drive it all day with the same silly grin from beginning to end.

It’s thirsty, I could treble the miles per gallon I get simply by picking up the “other set of keys” when leaving the apartment each morning, but I wouldn’t enjoy the drive to work, or to anywhere, like I enjoy driving the truck.

A pristine truck would scare me to death, a 9 year old scuffing about in the back with her muddy boots dropping sweets and crisps into the upholstery. So a new Cruiser wouldn’t be on my list at all, way too scary to spend some EURO 90k to be too worried about damaging it, I’d get very little pleasure from that.

I can play with it too, be a bit adventurous with add-ons and custom accessories, I wouldn’t want to be drilling holes in the roof of a new one to mount a light bar, would I?

Many on here do overlanding, and almost all of us join them on their adventures from the comfort of our settees. What a vehicle to be so versatile, there’s very few brands out there that can boast the same diversity of use and enjoyment as a Land Cruiser.

Yes, they all break at some time, but we get the parts and fit them, or pay someone to do it, and lets face it, most of the genuine parts we fit will outlive the rest of the truck, not like some we could mention, replacing stuff over and over.

I dream of a bit more power sometimes, more speed, more agility, more comfort, but then (after a slap) I realize that that’s not what it’s about... not for me at any rate.

They can keep their evoke’s and velcro’s, X6’s and whatever, they pass me on the way to work and I get there just as quick. I tow them out of the snow, and drive past them in a ditch on the side of the road when its icy.

Good luck to them I say, enjoy... :lol:

My view is that as members of this forum, our expectations from our vehicles is as diverse as the rest of the population.

Within our membership, we have folks who want their Land Cruisers to be pristine and as standard as Mr T intended, @Dervis Garip for example, if he doesn’t mind being named. His truck is superb and getting finer with every day of ownership.

At the other extreme are the @Jon Wildsmith ’s, who have off roaded to the extreme, to the point of eventual demise, some of his older threads have been superb.

A lot of us like me, are somewhere in between. My truck pleases me no end, its old, far from “comfortable” by modern standards, but I can drive it all day with the same silly grin from beginning to end.

It’s thirsty, I could treble the miles per gallon I get simply by picking up the “other set of keys” when leaving the apartment each morning, but I wouldn’t enjoy the drive to work, or to anywhere, like I enjoy driving the truck.

A pristine truck would scare me to death, a 9 year old scuffing about in the back with her muddy boots dropping sweets and crisps into the upholstery. So a new Cruiser wouldn’t be on my list at all, way too scary to spend some EURO 90k to be too worried about damaging it, I’d get very little pleasure from that.

I can play with it too, be a bit adventurous with add-ons and custom accessories, I wouldn’t want to be drilling holes in the roof of a new one to mount a light bar, would I?

Many on here do overlanding, and almost all of us join them on their adventures from the comfort of our settees. What a vehicle to be so versatile, there’s very few brands out there that can boast the same diversity of use and enjoyment as a Land Cruiser.

Yes, they all break at some time, but we get the parts and fit them, or pay someone to do it, and lets face it, most of the genuine parts we fit will outlive the rest of the truck, not like some we could mention, replacing stuff over and over.

I dream of a bit more power sometimes, more speed, more agility, more comfort, but then (after a slap) I realize that that’s not what it’s about... not for me at any rate.

They can keep their evoke’s and velcro’s, X6’s and whatever, they pass me on the way to work and I get there just as quick. I tow them out of the snow, and drive past them in a ditch on the side of the road when its icy.

Good luck to them I say, enjoy... :lol:
:text-goodpost:wise words clive.

Let me start by agreeing with Clive and adding that anything later than 105s don't really do it for me. When I see these all-singing-all-dancing new motors I do wonder what they will look like when they are over 40 years old.
IMO they will have been cubes of crushed metal several times over.

They may have all the modern stuff on them but so few (read none (IMO) except perhaps the FJ) have a grin factor.

Is it just me or do others get the feeling that there is only one car designer and he just emails the overall shape and the manufacturers just add trim and badges - so many just look alike - except Alfa, Citroen and ???

As you might gather the Velar does nothing for me.

Regards,

A died-in-the-wool Luddite

Let me start by agreeing with Clive and adding that anything later than 105s don't really do it for me. When I see these all-singing-all-dancing new motors I do wonder what they will look like when they are over 40 years old.

They may have all the modern stuff on them but so few (read none (IMO) except perhaps the FJ) have a grin factor.

Is it just me or do others get the feeling that there is only one car designer and he just emails the overall shape and the manufacturers just add trim and badges - so many just look alike - except Alfa, Citroen and ???

As you might gather the Velar does nothing for me.

Regards,

A died-in-the-wool Luddite

Agreed.

One thing, I guess there’s many 40s gone into the crusher too, but what made you work so hard to save yours from the crusher?

There’s no need to answer that one :lol:

There’s wool and polyester in the Velar’s trim Rodger, its a new material from Denmark, called something unpronounceable, take care... :think:

There's no doubting the capabilities of the new RR though. Put some off road tyres on it and I bet it would out easily perform any 80 series but, for me at least, there'll always be a question mark on the extensive use of electronics to achieve such performance rather than the good old belt and braces mechanical approach of old school 4x4's.

Agreed Clive - many of them have not survived but then they were in production for 24 years with only 2 revisions. They were/are fit for use which IMO is what Toyota are very good at.

Whereas modern stuff is changed virtually every year and is too dependent upon electronics which appear to have a limited life. They work or they don't - no half measures - so when you are miles from anywhere and it stops, well you get the picture...

I, like many of us, started with LR but they don't give that 'confidence' that 40,70,80,105 etc give and that comes from 'belt & braces' mechanically based 4x4s. But then people like us who go off the beaten track are such a small (and insignificant) part of their market that the modern 4x4 is not built for the likes of us. How many of the modern 4x4s (Toyota and Defenders excluded) do you see equipped to out into the wilds?

Regards,

There's no doubting the capabilities of the new RR though. Put some off road tyres on it and I bet it would out easily perform any 80 series but, for me at least, there'll always be a question mark on the extensive use of electronics to achieve such performance rather than the good old belt and braces mechanical approach of old school 4x4's.

I don’t deny what you’ve said TP, but what about what you didn’t say?

I mean, “out perform an 80” yes that may be so, but would that be the case after 23 years of performing like an 80?

Doubt it somehow...

It just irks me that I’m old and know something of the history.

Land Rovers were built as workhorse, for the military and for builders and farmers and the like.

The Range Rover came along as a workhorse but with some comfort built in.

Then the rest of the world joined in on the then-new cult of SUVs, RR jumped on the band wagon, and the rest is history.

RRs are not RRs any more, they should re-badge them.

I’m just an old grumpy anyway... who cares?

It and its stats do look pretty though :lol:

Well I looked at it and from the outside anyway I thought it looked like a new Discovery and the stupid flattened Ewok. A Range Rover isn't a vehicle nowadays, it's a brand that's now being milked for all it's worth IMO. I don't know how many models there are as I don't really take much notice as I pass the recovery truck but I think there's at least three that I can think of. I used to actually think that JLR had some good looking vehicles that sort of fitted each ones niche. Now, well, I'm not too sure really as they all look so similar. Maybe it's just me.

If both rover/cruiser removed all the digital bullshit i would switch badges in the blink of an eye .

There's some out there no doubt but i can't personally think of a vehicle that has taller wheels than side windows that doesn't look good .

I liked the look of the disco 4 and those before, but the latest range all look the same to me now.

anything later than 105s don't really do it for me. When I see these all-singing-all-dancing new motors I do wonder what they will look like when they are over 40 years old.

What about the mighty 70 series that is currently sold around the world in 5 different body configurations, having been in continuous production for over 30 years and is the longest running LandCruiser model of all time? :shifty:

The new ones are selling like hot cakes here in Australia, to the point that there is a 3-6 month wait to get one and its been like that for years! :icon-biggrin:

Back