Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Raspberry PI for carputer?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Anyone got any linux applications which are good for viewing OS maps?

I have a Raspberry PI which I'm trying all sorts of things with and was wondering how it would work with OS maps. Being the size of a (slightly large) credit card, it can hide anywhere (read: glue it to the back of your monitor)

My first guess is it will be a bit slow but here's hoping.

I thought about doing something like that with my Raspberry PI but in the end took the easy option and went with a Windows PC.

Well apart from the mapping software you would also want the touch screen functionality. Hmm, wonder if that exists for linux.

/Runs off to do a bit of searching.....

The touch screen is just a mouse so, so long as the drivers are there for linux, it would be ok. Wonder if there are drivers...

Jon, what have you done with it then or is it just sitting on the shelf now?

Ahh, that is cool then Tony.

Assuming it has the guts to drag the map around, it would be a perfect solution for a carputer for mapping. You could glue the RPI, GPS (on top) and storage (a 64GB USB stick) to the back of the monitor and run a single cable to it for power.

Better than having the gubbins under the seat with lots of wires.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah very slick and slim line, and best off all is the cost.....

Crispin said:
Jon, what have you done with it then or is it just sitting on the shelf now?
Nothing, sitting on the shelf unused. I ordered it when I had the A8 and was going to mess with using it to display raster maps only as the A8 had sat nag built in, space was at a premium and it would have given me something to mess with :lol: The 80 has plenty of space for a PC and a good range of sat nag software plus I am no longer stuck for things to mess with :mrgreen: I feel a PI solution would take a lot of messing and I have other things I'd rather spend the time on now.

Sorry to but in on this thread,
Would the Apple ipad clones be ok?
64 gig, simm card, bluetooth, gps, etc, down to 50.00 gbp here now, :o

Gra

That is cheap.... Rasberry PI's sell for around £24, but then you need a few more bits.

What OS do the clone devices run? I'm guessing it's not IOS

Back