Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Arch Flare Repair

MarkW

Country Flag
morocco
So 40 000 miles mostly off road and the previous 150k miles has meant my passenger side rear flare has given up on staying attached.

On the inside of the flare there are 8 mounting posts that attach to the clips in the body, only on mine theres only 3 left. I could get a 2nd hand one but getting one on the right colour with all the posts intact might be a challenge.

Yesterday it was suggested that the back side could be filled with expanding foam and then 3m double sided trim repair tape used to supplement the few remaining mounts. Could this work?

That could work, my only concern would be would the foam hold moisture and potential cause rusting on the bodywork on the inside IF any exposed metal is there? Probably a rare scenario...

I'm kinda in the same boat with a couple flares with either broken clips/mountings. Does anyone know what kind of clips are on the underside to purchase? Having not removed them before, I don't know. They appear to be yellow. Also does anyone know where to buy that flexible seal strip that goes on the flare molding to prevent the flare rubbing on the body? (Sorry for hijacking)

I'd thought about water/rust as well and where mines been a bit flappy it has work through the paint in places. Might give the foam a try after dealing with the paintwork

No worries on the hijack :)

There are 2 types of clips, yellow and white. For the rear arch on a 95 you need 2 yellow and 5 white
yellow clip - 9046709190
white clip - 9046709191
I could only get these through Toyota here and they cost about £1.20 each. You can get ones that look similar online for a lot cheaper but they are round and the Toyota ones oval.

Not sure on the seal strip, I guess theres a lot of things that could be used. The Toyota one is pretty hard material

Expanding foam is a bad idea for a permanent fix but if you filled the arch or at least the bits where the mounting points should be you could trim and shape it to build a new bracket with a fibreglass repair kit then remove the foam when its set .

Search the forum for "bodge of the day" Beau i left a pic of the trim clips part number and showed how i repaired some brackets .
I got my body trim gasket from Toyota at an extortionate price , it wasn't mental money it just seemed a lot for what i felt was a tuppence worth of draft excluder .

Arches are different on the lwb so possible different clips, the yellow and white combo above is correct.

My problem with fabbing new brackets for the arch itself it theres no reference to start from, looks like each one is slightly different length and orientation

I would get replacement clips, put the in place, get some 3m dp490 put a blob on each clip and then refit the arch with the 3 clips that are still there to position. Push firmly into place and tape to hold there until adhesive has set.(overnight).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just a thought with the front arches..... How easy is it to remove the actual wing and then work from the backside? You could tape the flare in position and then epoxy up some long studs through the clip holes and then once dry draw them up with a nut?

Cover a good bracket with french polish or something similar , paint some resin on it and drop some repair mat on top . When its dry pull off your fine one mat thick copy . Beef up the top part so you can fit an original clip as intended . Fit that with a clip to the body . Then wet with resin and scrunch up some more mat slap it inside the arch and put the arch back on propping it until the two parts bond .

I would stick them on with sikaflex where the flexible rubber bit would go. It doesn't need a lot of cintact area. Once that stuff sets they will be on there forever, it also comes in a variety of colours.

Back