Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear bumper replacement

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
On a hot day - a hot job!
It was time to remove my very rusty step bumper and replace it with a new old stock straight one.
Easy, just undo a few bolts ......
Well, not too difficult but it faught me every step of the way.
Of the 8 bolts on the top that have the square section to lock it into the hole in the bumper, only 3 of the nuts came off. The other 5 were so stiff they rounded off the square holes - so nothing now to grab hold of!! So, the angle grinder was the only option to cut off the heads of the bolts. Then a similar story on 5 of the 8 lower bolts which were so rusty they rounded off and had to be dressed to create something to get a spanner on. So much for the dilligent application of squirty oil every other day for 2 weeks prior.
Anyway, with lots of smashing of rusty brackets and subsequent grinding off, suddenly the coast was clear for the new one. Its finished with a charcoal colour which I'm not sure about so may get it chromed instead as the front one is chrome or perhaps paint them both??
So, for now the new bumper is on but will need a decision soon.
The fog lights were mounts each side of the tow bar for now but not sure they will meet the mot std.
The truck is going in for some welding and painting soon, so the bumper will come off to provide better access to the rear quarters. I will then need to settle on a plan.
The next job is to replace the rusty lower tailgate with a NOS item. Expecting simmilar aggro there too.

Been there done that with the split rear bumper affair. Got the best results with lots of heat and a selection of A/F, Whitworth and metric sockets to fit on the corrosion reduced heads.
The best idea for the foglights is to get some S/H 80 foglights and mount them on the lower tailgate 80- style. they look neat and are out of the way.
Just an idea.

Been there done that with the split rear bumper affair. Got the best results with lots of heat and a selection of A/F, Whitworth and metric sockets to fit on the corrosion reduced heads.
The best idea for the foglights is to get some S/H 80 foglights and mount them on the lower tailgate 80- style. they look neat and are out of the way.
Just an idea.
Just an idea.
image.jpeg

Thats an idea Andy, will throw that in the pot. Thanks

I know what you mean Andy,
But I decided that the simple design would be easier to rustproof etc and I like the look.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good luck with the NOS lower tailgate, I hunted everywhere for one, found some rocking horse shot and bumped into Elvis, but no lower tailgate.

In the end that fine chap Mr Lomas let me have a good second hand one

If you already have one, then could I also please have a look at your holy grail, and where the fuck did you find it!!!

Good luck with the NOS lower tailgate, I hunted everywhere for one, found some rocking horse shot and bumped into Elvis, but no lower tailgate.

In the end that fine chap Mr Lomas let me have a good second hand one

If you already have one, then could I also please have a look at your holy grail, and where the fuck did you find it!!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here is the evidence - still has the factory labels stuck on and covered in saharan sand. Saw it advertised by a guy in Saudi Arabia so snapped it up immediately

They do come up, I've got a new in the box lower tailgate I won on ebay for less than £55 and the guy ( who it turned out I knew) delivered it to my house from Nottingham. This is why I could sell Andy a spare one.

They do come up, I've got a new in the box lower tailgate I won on ebay for less than £55 and the guy ( who it turned out I knew) delivered it to my house from Nottingham. This is why I could sell Andy a spare one.
Not quite as rare as elvis, hens teeth or 24v power window relays then?
woulnt mind a spare though for use in another 30 yrs time

Back