Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear disc wont come off...

wobbly

Garage
I started replacing the rear discs with the roughtrax replacements.

Started on the off side rear.

Wheel off.

Spacer off.

Caliper off.

Found that the two screws holding the disc in place have been sheared off, so drilled them out with a HSS bit.

The disc still wont come off, it will pull about just off the edge of the central hub, but absolutely no further.

The handbrake was off, but the only thing that can be holding it in situ is the handbrake pads?

Makes me think the osr handbrake is seized on, cos there is far more movement on the working parts behhind the nsr wheel.

Have I missed something - is there anything else holding the disc in place?

The manual doesnt suggest anything at all.....

Cheers

Pete

You could try slackening off the hand brake pads using the little cog bottle adjuster that sits at 6 o'clock which may give you enough clearance to remove the disks? There is a thread that details how to get the best off the hand brake which may help.... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=260&hilit=hand+brake

Have you slackened off the handbrake pads which sit inside the disk there is a hole in the disk to ajust them. :thumbup:

"Found that the two screws holding the disc in place have been sheared off"

I don't remember any bolts/screws holding the disc in place? i thought the wheel and wheel studs/nuts did that

there is often a pair of threaded holes to allow you to wind in a bolt to push a disc or drum off a hub though

Andy

The manual simply says ' Release the rotor assembly retaining screws, then withdraw the rotor and fit the new rotor'.

The only two screws are the smaller threaded holes on the disc. There appeared to be two sheared screws in each hole, I drilled them out with an hss bit. I assumed that there were two matching holes on the hub that the retaining screws threaded through into.

Munster

Any idea whereabouts the hole to adjust the handbrake pads will be? I assume that you mean I push something through the disc (rotor) but I cant see anything to adjust.

The manual is a bit silent on this problem....

Cheers

Pete

wobbly said:
Any idea whereabouts the hole to adjust the handbrake pads will be? I assume that you mean I push something through the disc (rotor) but I cant see anything to adjust.

You need to rotate the disk so that the hole is at 6 o'clock. If you shine a torch in the hole you will see the coged wheel which you can then push with a small flat screwdriver. One way will release it the other way tighten it. It's a bit of a faf.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd16 ... CN5664.jpg

Are the two holes top and bottom the ones I need to use to slacken off the handbrake drum brakes?

This was Chris's hint:

'The with the wheels off, turn the hub until the hole that you can see though is at 6 O'clock. Use a torch to look through the hole. You will see a toothed cog wheel. With a flat screwdriver, flick this cog toward you and down until it stops. This will release the disc off the hub. You may need to whack it a bit as the disc can stick to the hub with time. Turn and hit, turn and hit. it will come off.'

I've never had a car with a disc and drum combo before!

The other thread is very useful - especially the bits where it says the disc wont come off until the handbrake drums are slackened off!

I also saw Bob's photo showing two bolts being threaded into the two small holes to 'pop' the disc off - I couldnt do that as both holes were filled with old bolts....

In the pic you posted it looks correct, in that the holes are lined up correctly. The adjuster is in the bottom access through the hole. Once you fined it it's a doddle. Yes Chris' thread helped me a load when I did mine.

Yes as been said, loosen using the cog at the 6 o clock position :thumbup: then you have the fun of setting both back up again and having a nice working handbrake :D

Joe

Pete sorry didnt get back to you went out for the day but looks like other members have put you in the right direction, hope you got it sorted is a faf seting it back up.
Martin

wobbly said:
I also saw Bob's photo showing two bolts being threaded into the two small holes to 'pop' the disc off - I couldnt do that as both holes were filled with old bolts....

ah -ah - so the bolts you drilled out and referred to as "holding the disc on" were the threaded holes i mentioned, and someone had wound bolts in there in the past and they had sheared

I think so, it could have been a build up of hardened brake dust, but it needed drilling to clear.

Pete

does anyone have a photo of the bottom half of the brakes with the disc off?

I am trying to work out what the toothed cog actually looks like - I have the hole positioned at 6 oclock, but through the hole I appear to be looking at a flat section of metal, certainly not a cog. It could be that I need to rotate the wheel to get it in the exact position, but it would help if I had a pic of the internel layout of the brake pads.

Looking at the 120clock hole I can see that there is a gap between the hub face and the top of the handbrake pads, but at the bottom the metal is right up against the hole on the hub face.

Seems I bent the back plate yesterday as well, cos each time the wheel rotates I get a metal knock, must be hitting the caliper, which did seem a bit tight putting it back on.....

And its raining....

I'm determined to do this myself - that way I can spend the money it would cost on some better tools rather than a garage bill.

Cheers

Pete

Belay the last request!

Seems that there is a plate on the back of the hub face, it is only shaped inwards on one of the holes, so the other is looking at the plate, and sods law, I was looking through the one with the view of the plate....

Rotated it through 180deg and got a clear view of the cog, rotated it downwards a few turns, and the disc pulled straight off.

Hurrah, at last, I hear you thinking.

The old disc is in poor order on the inside, top 25% and bottom 25% rusted and standing a couple of mil higher than the central 50% band, hence why the old pads were grooved at the top and bottom.

So far, so good, only one little snag.

On the right hand side is the spacer spring which holds the pads in place sideways, ot has a base piece with a lug going to a small hole where the base is held in situ, then there is the spring, then the cap which goes on and turns 90deg to hold the pin in place.

On the left hand side is a spring and cap, with a pin, but no base with a lug, looks like the spring and cap have come off at some point and were sat inside the inside of the disc area.

Looks to be a pig of a job getting it all back in without removing the left hand pad....

Any ideas or is it pads off time?

If so, may as well fit new handbrake pads whilst I'm here!

As an aside, the roughtrax disc fits perfectly, Bob mentioned he had to drill his holes out, no such problem with these (yet...).

Cheers

Slow Pete

Well,

Made up a base from a beer bottle lid, worked out the besr way to get it all fitted was to diconnect the top springs, spread the pads, then fit the retaining spring etc on to the pin, then slide the pad back in whilst trying to compress the spring with a pair of long nosed pliers, eventually (its now 10.30pm) it all went back together, reconnected the top springs.

Fitting the new disc was awkward at first, so I wound the cog fully one way, counted the number of turns, slid the new disc on, then wound the cog back by the same number of turns.

Am going to check the handbrake function tomorrow again, it was dark and I was soaked, but I think it is about right.

Get it all back together tomorrow, then on to the other side.

Two things spring to mind, firstly, the manual is pants - two retaining screws, no mention of releasing the handbrake pads? Secondly, the knowledge on this forum is awesome.

Cheers

Pete

Good job Pete. Follow Chris' guide for setting up the hand brake and you wont go wrong. :thumbup:

Did the nearside this morning.

Generally a lot easier, disc off easily, new one on with only a little easing.

The pads on this side had about 2 - 3mm of wear, less than the drivers side, but the inside face of the disc was just as poor. It seems that the outerside has a more even pressure.

I checked the manual and theer def should be a couple of backing plates on the pads, I dont have them, so maybe this explains the uneven wear. Will try and pick some up and fit them as I like to have all the right bits in the right places.

Incidentally, I had to remove the new disc, used two nuts in the threaded holes, worked a treat.

Almost there now - have a problem with the osr still, when the wheel rotates there is a loud clattering noise, once per revolution. Have stripped it down once and cant see the problem, so it can go down to the garage to resolve that as I've run out of time, need to do some real work today!

Think I got the handbrake about right, I tightened it up to the point where there was no movement, then eased it back - did this a couple of times on each side after spinning the disc just to make sure the handbrake pads were setaed correctly.

Cheers

Pete

Back