Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear shock mount failure - Repair panels?

1nkling

Hey guys,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster here but I need some help.

At the perfect time of the year I've just encountered a problem. The other day a knocking noise started up from the back. Didn't sound too serious and in all honesty I thought it was some of the crap rattling around in the boot. Then it got worse and the rear of the car got very bouncy. I assumed I'd snapped the top mount off my shock and limped it the short distance home. Ordered two new shocks and conned my folks into collecting them for me yesterday. I got up today and jacked the car up to have a look underneath and to my surprise it seems that not one but both rear shock mounts have failed. Not the tops of the shocks as I'd assumed but the actual chassis mounts. :shock: The shocks have punched a lovely circular section out of each that is still attached to the top of each shock.

So, I'm wondering if its possible to get some kind of repair panel for the rear shock mounts? I can't find anything anywhere from a bit of googling. My other alternative is to see if I can get a local handy welder type to knock something up but I thought a pre-made part might be an easier solution.

Any advice much appreciated.

At a guess i would say its going to be "knock something up". ive never seen repair sections for this area.

Just search for metal fabrication in your area it shouldn't prove difficult for them to glue it back together or knock up something to replace them .

I've been hunting since posting this and still haven't found anything so I'm guessing you guys are right.

I have a blacksmith friend who might be able to help out but it doesn't look like an easy to replicate piece. Might get away with a circle of steel just plugging the hole but if not then its going to be a fun one. :lol:

Big meaty washer bigger than the hole welded in from underneath. Perhaps domed in the forge to fit first if that's what's needed?

Difficult to say without seeing it but I would imagine it's readily doable if a bit of an awkward place.

It always happens at the wrong time, but IMO, a good fabricator will have no bother. Good luck :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Found a guy to do it but won't be till after Xmas. Luckily my brother has said he'll lend me a car to keep me going.

I'll try and get some pics to show you guys.

Back