Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear tyres wont spin

HAKI

Country Flag
australia
I started my Cruiser today and put it into gear - but the old lady did not move.
I jacked the car up and checked if the wheels are spinning - the front ones do, the rear ones only for a inch before they get stuck.
Does anyone know what the reason could be?

If the cables that run along the rear axel are slack when the handbrake is off, then thats the problem. On mine it was the pivot on the end of the cables that needed freeing up (it sits under a rubber boot).
Hope your problem is as simple to fix. Is it a manual or auto?

If the cables that run along the rear axel are slack when the handbrake is off, then thats the problem. On mine it was the pivot on the end of the cables that needed freeing up (it sits under a rubber boot).
Hope your problem is as simple to fix. Is it a manual or auto?

It is a manual and the handbrake cables seem to be ok. I put it into L4 and tried it, the car wants to go but it doesnt move.
Hopefully its just the brakes... Will have to bring it to a workshop $$$$$

Transfer box problem. Disconnect the rear prop and see if the wheels turn, that will isolate or eliminate the rear axle. With the prop disconnected see if it will roll forward. Reconnect the prop and select N on the transfer box and see if it will roll forwards. If it does then select H or L and see if it will roll forwards. If it wont its a transfer box problem.

Andy

Solved!!!

My cruiser got loaded on a tow truck today using a winch. The rear wheels still did not spin - it really hurts when you see your car get pulled up without the wheels moving..
When unloading the car of the truck we used a winch which pulled the car from the back - when it made a big bang and the car was rolling!!!! The mechanic checked my brakes and found that the brake pads were "glued" on the disc. He checked the brakes and did not find any further problems.:icon-biggrin:
He told me that if I hose down my car next time make sure you drive it around until the brakes are dry - I will definitely do that!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well there's a result, It just shows how difficult it is to diagnose a problem halfway round the world.
Well done.

:clap::clap::clap: Bravo! Thankfully, the cheapest of the various scenarios that it could have been. Maybe in future, if left for any length of time, chock it up in gear and leave the handbrake off, if that would be safe in the circumstances.

:clap::clap::clap: Bravo! Thankfully, the cheapest of the various scenarios that it could have been. Maybe in future, if left for any length of time, chock it up in gear and leave the handbrake off, if that would be safe in the circumstances.

Yeah, I am not using my handbrake any more. I still cant believe that not using for car for a few days can seize the brakes that much!
Anyway a big thanks for all your suggestions and ideas!

something wrong with the handbrake if it seizes on after a few days - get it fixed then use it as normal.

Back