Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Reconditioned injectors

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Anyone got a line on reconditioned injectors? (for an 80 4.2). I had a price back from my local guy today saying that the price for the replacement tips has rocketed. His labour is the same, but with the increase, I am facing £58 plus vat per injector. OK RVS are marginally cheaper but I have to get them down there and back too. Holy cow, £400!!!!. They are stuffed, there is no mistaking, but ouch that's a killer. I have asked the e-bay seller about the tips that they are selling. Looks like they are copies not original Toyota. Is that a bad thing? Do people make rubbish copy injector tips? I dunno. But at £400 is there an exchange service anywhere?

Guys?

Chris

Hi cris. I think i have sorced a bloke who will do them me.Need to finalise it yet but 25 per injector. What that involves or includes i dont know yet. I am going to get some sets done and do them exchange. Was going to test them out on my trucks first.
karl

Well in layman's terms, there are a couple of things on injectors (that I have learned). You can reset them or you can rebuild them. If the tip produces a spray, but the pressures are set wrong due to wear and age, the internal bits can be reset so that they start and stop 'poofing' fuel out at the right time and in a nice cloud or if, the they simply piss fuel out like an old leaking heffer (like mine) then the spray tips need to be replaced AND they need to be set up internally. Now to do that for £20 would be impossible I think. Resetting for £20 maybe, but rebuilding? The tips alone on e-bay are £108 for pattern parts. That's £18 per injector before you even start with shims, washers etc etc.

Appreciate that you said that you don't know what he's offering, but that's what I have learned so far. If I had a set of injectors that only needed resetting, but I don't Mine look like a leaky sink.

Chris

Hi Chris, just had mine rebuilt with new tips for £260, if you can get them posted or relayed through the Club to me I could ask if he would do another set at the price, the reason I say this, is that I paid cash & told him that they were for my own vehicle & I think he done me a good turn, the parts they use would be good quality.

Dave, that's a fantastic offer. If I can put you on notice for that please, I shall exhaust my investigations at this end and then get back to you. getting them down to you isn't a problem at all. We'd have to establish that he's not just re tipping, but setting up the pressures too though. That is vital. Mine need a complete rebuild and set up.

Chris

I do know that they are goin to be reset. That is 100 percent. You carnt mess with something like that without doing. Or so im told. Karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK Karl, if you can keep in touch as usual i am interested. But as I have already said on the other thread, these have been tested and fuel is simply pouring out of them. There is no spray or 'poof' just 5 thick jets! I am a bit unsure as always on the copy part injector tips. But they are affordable. How long do they last? Well I only do 5k per year in this and if they lasted 100k miles, that would be a lifetime. I just can't afford £400 for this job. Some possibilities emerging and I shall speak to my fitter again today, but we are coming into the winter weather now and I MUST get that truck back on the road for the snow. If we have any. I am getting withdrawal symptoms not driving it. Karl, do you have any injectors that might be in a better condition than mine then that just need resetting not re tipping? My bloke will test them for nothing here in Chesterfield. Buying some from you and getting him to set them would be a better option than a full rebuild. I don't want to skimp on this before anyone say something, I simply don't have this much in the budget. Not even as a Christmas present to myself

Chris

Chris, that's rather scary stuff! I wonder how many miles/hours the engine has to do to get the injectors into that state :?

Have you been in touch with Julian V as I'm sure he mentioned a while back that he planned to have a rebuilt set of injectors on the shelf and do an exchange? Whether that's much different cost-wise, I don't know but it should get you mobile again quite quickly.

This is stating the obvious but have you spoken to Ian about a price for replacement tips and complete new injectors? They're not particularly beefy items so I would think the air-freight on them would be quite modest.

I noticed a set of injectors on fleabay for around £120 last night - apparently done 110,000 miles so I doubt you'd make much progress with them. Just mentioning it in case someone wants to take a punt :think:

Cheers,

Thanks Andrew. Julian V - yes, and no, he hasn't. New injectors are not needed. And they are frighteningly expensive even with our contact. The fact is that I don't need the whole thing. Only the tip. That is the cheaper way to go. What has been the downfall is that someone has had these out and not put them back properly. So they have deteriorated badly. Plus I think the fuel used in it (on a far) was filtered through straw and wheat chaff contributing to accelerated wear.

Interested in a link to the injectors on the bay. 110k miles isn't much. Mine has only done 105k but as I said, these have been butchered.

Chris

Chris said:
The fact is that I don't need the whole thing. Only the tip. That is the cheaper way to go.
I would think Mr R is still the best route for OEM tips though. I appreciate that the big chunk of cost here is for the man servicing the injectors and not the hardware necessarily.

Chris said:
Plus I think the fuel used in it (on a far) was filtered through straw and wheat chaff contributing to accelerated wear.
Regular farmer's favourite to blend in used engine oil with farm diesel... the little particles of metal in the old oil plus a bit of water creeping in don't do the injector tips any favours. Have to say I would have thought that with the high quality of diesel in the UK, injectors would seldom be much of an issue on an over-engineered lump like an HD-T... In Africa with dubious fuel quality, coupled with dodgy practices of blending other liquids in to "extend" the diesel, injectors are much more prone to accelerated wear.

Cheers,

Andrew, surprisingly, my fella is only going to charge £18 per tip to rebuild if I supply the tips. I don't think that's bad. That also includes new washers. It is the tip that is the pricey bit.

Chris

Ah ok - I am gradually catching up with you :oops:
Yes, the labour bit sounds reasonable. So onto tips - thinking out loud, is there something magical about the OEM ones or is this something that a pattern one works just as well for?
Maybe pose the question on LCCSA as reconditioning injectors seems to be a bigger deal there - probably because they do bigger miles and use lower quality diesel. :idea:

Cheers,

Andrew - good idea. didn't know that. Will set to and see what comes up

Chris

Holy Cow! Ordered the injectors yesterday about 15.00 hrs and look what postie gave me this morning.

IMGP4190.jpg

I have to say that they look very good in terms of manufacture. OK you can't tell much by that, but it's not like they have been hacked out of a lump of iron or something. All etched with the part number too.
Full marks to dieseltopshop on e-bay. Will drop them off on Monday and get them back into the truck later in the week. Time will tell.

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4190.jpg
    IMGP4190.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 75
Wow, that IS quick service. Definitely one for all of us to remember if/when we need the same!

Any chance of some close up pics comparing your current ones vs the new ones?

Cheers,

Like these?

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8812&hilit=injectors

I don't have the injectors at the moment they are with my man Trev. I don't think that you can actually physically see the difference other than the filth of course. There are 5 tiny pinholes in the little tit on the end of the nozzle, but there are also pins and things inside the tip that lift to allow the fuel to either pour out like mine or spray in a mist. I think that it is the gubbins INSIDE the nozzle that you are replacing in fact not just the outer body that fits through the cylinder head. Replacing these with new seating washers having cleaned up the internal seats to new condition and replacing the crumbling inlet manifold gaskets should make quite a difference too.

TOP TIP
If you need to clean out the recess that the injectors sit in, try using a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning kit. It's a perfect fit and has a phosphor bronze brush, mop and patch jag. Perfect for fettling the crud out if they haven't been sealing properly. Sorry for the lack of pics on this bit but it's actually quite hard to see in there.

Chris

I had seen those pics ;) I was just curious whether there might be a noticeable difference between the new and old nozzles, other than dirt on the tips.

I've been out searching for a supply of cheap 2 stroke oil in bulk today - thinking of trying that as there is anecdotal evidence that it can help the injectors a bit. Buying the fancy stuff in 500ml bottles is probably more expensive over 100,000 miles than buying new injectors! :p

Cheers,

Andrew, what I shall try to do is get some vid of the old ones and then the same once they are re tipped. Just so that for those who don't know what they should look like - will. Obviously you can't test them yourself, unless you unplug them all, reconnect them to the fuel lines and crank the engine over. You'd get a pattern that way. Worth a shot if you were stuck in the boonies somewhere.

Chris

Andrew Prince said:
I had seen those pics ;) I was just curious whether there might be a noticeable difference between the new and old nozzles, other than dirt on the tips.

I've been out searching for a supply of cheap 2 stroke oil in bulk today - thinking of trying that as there is anecdotal evidence that it can help the injectors a bit. Buying the fancy stuff in 500ml bottles is probably more expensive over 100,000 miles than buying new injectors! :p

Cheers,
Go visit your local Stihl dealer, he can get barrels of the stuff.

Andrew Prince said:
I've been out searching for a supply of cheap 2 stroke oil in bulk today - thinking of trying that as there is anecdotal evidence that it can help the injectors a bit. Buying the fancy stuff in 500ml bottles is probably more expensive over 100,000 miles than buying new injectors! :p Cheers,
Try this seller;
Semi syn
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-STROKE-ENGINE-O ... 43a2b50117

or mineral
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
I use two stroke and this is where I got mine. Can't comment on the effect on injectors but it does seem to make the engine run smoother.

Back