Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement headlights

Juddian

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Have polished the original headlights multiple times, but the fading of the plastic covers seems to be right through the top half.

Full genuine Toyota replacments from Roughtrax would be the ideal, but they also list aftermarket replacement made by Depo for half the cost, it notes they don't come with the electric adjuster motors but also notes the motors can be transferred over, has anyone tried these lamps yet were they ok and if so did the motors actually bolt or screw on OK?

I ask because we had a Mitsi Outlander 1 at one time and the headlights on those were awful, actually crazed on the sun like a frosted bog window, genuine replacements circa £350 a side 10 years ago, i bought some aftermarket jobbies which basically fitted where they touched, very poor things they were.
So, would appreciate some thoughts on the cheaper ones that Roughtrax sell for the 120.

Good post Juddian. Can't give a definitive answer on those, but I have the same problem (haven't we all eventually) .
As you say polishing is ok up to a point, then it becomes more often and sun damage deepens, so a lot of effort for little gain.
My problem really niggles me, as when I bought lc, the n/s one was new/mint, so as the o/s one dulls, it looks bloody awful. The old school glass of years past was the real deal.
I've seen Depo, brand on a lot of stuff, and Roughtrax tend to sell quality cheaper versions of a lot of parts among their genuine stuff, instead of cheap crap.
I'll be watching for replies with you.

Have polished the original headlights multiple times, but the fading of the plastic covers seems to be right through the top half.

I had the same problem with mine, kept polishing them every 5 mins (it seemed like) and eventually got fed up with it and replaced them (bumper off job if I remember right)

I was going to get the DEPO ones at the time, but RT didn't have stock, so i got genuine (from RT). Be interested to hear about the DEPO though!

Yes i'm tempted but the experience with the dreadful things for the Mitsi i do not want to repeat.

Hoping someone else has tried them and could give an appraisal, would like to keep the adjuster motors if possible but its not the end of the world if they don't transfer, definately want to avoid the Mitsi situation where it looked like the headlights had been made (bodged) to fit another vehicle entirely.

Good to know Rob, out of interest would the electric motor have fitted and done its job do you think?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good post Juddian. Can't give a definitive answer on those, but I have the same problem (haven't we all eventually) .
As you say polishing is ok up to a point, then it becomes more often and sun damage deepens, so a lot of effort for little gain.
My problem really niggles me, as when I bought lc, the n/s one was new/mint, so as the o/s one dulls, it looks bloody awful. The old school glass of years past was the real deal.
I've seen Depo, brand on a lot of stuff, and Roughtrax tend to sell quality cheaper versions of a lot of parts among their genuine stuff, instead of cheap crap.
I'll be watching for replies with you.

How come i missed your post but saw Karl's, losing the bleedin plot i tell yer, we had the alarm lads here earlier and when they asked me for the alarm code i'd forgotten it entirely yet use it at least once a day, the joys of morphing rapidly into an old fart.

There's a seller on ebay offering those Depo lights but would rather buy them from RT once they have both in stock as going to be the real deal.
Don't get me started on the move away from real glass headlight lenses, the ones on our 26 year old Merc look like new, and my work truck still has real glass clear lensed headlights...some other makes (and the new model of my current steed) have gone over to plastic lenses, the trucks nearing 5 year are also starting to turn cloudy, those fitted with LEDs will cost a small fortune to replace when the time comes and you can be sure truck MOT testers aren't as lenient as car testers.
Half the truck's are made out of plastic now.

Yup, most work mornings i'm heading out the door at 3.30ish, just punch the number in without a second thought, autopilot.

Memory is a weird thing, i can remember registration and phone numbers from 50 years ago and the 2 or if you really want to play 3 different sequences going up the gearbox on my first artic 46 years ago (Foden) but couldn't tell you where i went 2 days ago and as for putting names to faces not a hope in hell.

Fun???
or no, no power steering, steering column bolted straight to the chassis (your imagination will do for the pounding your arms and wrists took from pot holes and drains), direct action clutch without assistance, freeze your brass monkeys off in winter hot as hell in summer, if you couldn't find digs it was a case of two planks across the bonnet from window ledge to window ledge and try and kip as best you could, then scrape the ice off the inside of the windows because...no heater worthy of the name.

The only saving graces, was that after that hell on wheels anything else was luxurious, once you'd sussed a Foden 12 speed box no other box gave you any bother and having no power steering meant you soon learned how to reverse pretty well.

That little rant has just reminded me of how miserable those first couple of years were on the wagons, but it was a damn good grounding.

No worries Juddian, you haven't been on the truckers tizer have you ? YUK !!!
If you had asked me, I could have told you the alarm code.
Fodens fun Karl ? Apart from the obvious advantages like Juddian listed, haha, you should try being in control ? of one of the ancient 8 legger tippers being towed 7 miles back to base by a maniac ex getaway driver with no mirrors.
That's when you wished you had muscles like Popeye after an o/d of spinach, or just dumped it where it stopped and buggered off home !

On another positive note, we now know from Rob, the lights fit.
Yes that is good news, its MOT time in March and assuming they pass the test again (not been mentioned yet) i'll get a pair in the spring and fit them in the warmer weather, if Karl's right and the bumper needs to come off don't fancy doing that in the depths of winter if i can help it.

Good idea mate, I'm fed up with polishing mine, (one headlight that is) every few months or the day of mot. I wonder how the Depo ones will fare, - time will tell ?
Bumper off now fills me with dread after previous removal of rear one - every nut, bolt, and bracket seized or rotted. In mitigation though, the rear bumper is a trap for all the s**t thrown up, and the lc did originate in Scotland, to its/my detriment. Never again !!!

Checked on my photos and I did take the bumper off when I did it! From what I remember, for the bumper cover it was a few bolts underneath, and a few in each wheel arch behind the liner - but the real b*stard is the plastic clips that hold it on the sides - not bad once you work out where they are, but expect swearing!

I'm surprised the bumper needs to come off, definately worth removing a battery at a time which is worth it even to swap the sidelight bulbs out but having to remove the bumper seems ludicrous for a simple headlight unit swapover on something generally as well designed as these are, presumably some hidden bolt or screw only accessible once the bumper is off.

Mine is pretty good re corrosion and its seen lots of ACF50 etc squirted into the nooks and crannies so hoping the bolts will shift, they all did when i swapped out the sump guard when others have found bolts shearing off so here's hoping.

Now you mentioned plastic clips Karl i'm doubly hoping a polish up just before the MOT will see them through again in March, cold weather and plastic clips don't usually see eye to eye.

TM regarding life expectancy, Rob's had one on for 7/8 years and he isn't cursing them so would assume they're decent enough, am hardly that impressed by the OE pair to be honest though they've covered more than twice the life of the Mitsi OE ones which were actually crazing right through by year 7, i'm pretty sure if Toyota's lights were scrap that fast they'd have come up with a cheap deal for affected owners, no help from Mitsi plus £350 a side was just taking the pee when the OE were prone to early failure...that alone put us off considering Mitsi ever aagin.

Last edited:
I've fitted auxiliary LED lights behind the grill, not too worried about headlight diffusion from the fading plastic headlamps :)

tlaw, as long as your mot geezer is happy to pass it, and youre happy with performance of them, all good. Ive got decent spotlights on mine, but still value the headlights.

Juddian, that's good performance on Rob's, as things go these days
I'm assuming the dull one on mine is original, if so I reluctantly suppose thats good for 2006, its just the bloody rip off prices Toyota want.

Last edited:
Hello guys.
I had the same problems with my foggy headlights.
I had a few options
1st
buy new cover lenses from Ali express
2nd
New led headlights again from Ali express.
3rd
I used 500 grit sandpaper
Stepped up to 1200
Next step up was 2000 grit sandpaper all wet and dry.
After final sand with 2000 grit sandpaper polished the lenses with polish and buffed off.
Stayed clear for months..
Very cheap and effective way to regenerate your foggy headlights.

Lot's of clips on YouTube to help if your not sure on the procedure.

Back