Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement OEM bottle jack

warrenpfo

I have made good use of my OEM jack that comes with the landcruiser and have found it quite useful. I think they are called a screw jack but am not 100% sure. It has started to show signs of coming to the end of its life as im not sure it is designed to be used day in day out and the "screw" bit at the bottom is not so smooth and showing signs of play so want to replace it.

Does anyone know of a good jack that will store in the same place as the OEM jack and retain its lifting strength and height. If i Google bottle jack all i get is hydraulic jacks and when i Google screw jack all i get is scissor jacks or old vintage screw jacks.

Thanks in advance

I bought a few 4 ton hydraulic ones - similar size. been fine for me as a replacement imo.

http://www.northerntooluk.com/autom..._Bottle_Jack-19903800E.html?tab=specification

I checked my Toyota jack at the weekend, in preparation for the Europe trip and i was expecting a bottle jack, but was surprised when it was a screw type non hydraulic jack, so im not sure what they are actually called but its a good simple design. I Don't think my jack or tool kit have ever been used as there not a chip or dint on any of the paintwork.

I got a couple from Machine Mart, a 4 tonne and a 10 tonne - had to get the bigger one as Im running on taller tyres and the 4 tonne was a bit too extended for my liking.

What I would like is an inverted cup that fits on top of the jack, with a 'U'on top, so that I could lift the axle a bit further inboard if necessary.

Pete

I got one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-39..._Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item4158153984
Then removed the original jack carrier and made a simple bracket so i could bolt the original elastic strap in its place . The jack now sits on a rag (which is always handy to have) , remains upright (which is important for a bottle jack for those who don't know) and its fits snugly out of the way behind the panelling . I've no complaints about the jack itself except maybe its a bugger to to bleed properly given the vent is nothing more than a rubber plug which i was concerned would split while i bent and twisted it with a screwdriver to let air out . Several attempts to bleed failed leaving the jack a bit hit and miss until i decided to jack up a trailer a little and opening the rubber vent . It's been A1 ever since at a real bargain basement price .

Last edited:
Sorry i posted the wrong link the jack i got was a Draper high lift but looks pretty much the same , i'm sure the ebay shop was called McCormick or something ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Any farm machinery equipment stockist will have a range of bottle jacks of different sizes, lift heights and weight capacities. And they are generally pretty cheap, I've a great little 6 tonne one I gave 20 quid for a few years ago and its tiny but stable and would fit inside a spare wheel for easy storage.

I conquer :icon-smile: Love my OME jack :icon-biggrin:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/40396-Fiery-s-OEM-Jack?highlight=Jack

I'd contact Karl and see if he has any knocking around from vehicles that he's broken and if not contact some of the people on eBay that are breaking Land Cruisers. The thing with a Hydraulic Bottle Jack is that to get anything with the same lift you need to get something that's much larger in size and three times the weight to give less lift!!!!!!

Last edited:
One mod I've done to the OEM jack is to weld a socket over the loop bit and so can use an electric/air impact gun to lift the truck in seconds. I did this years ago firstly stripping it and giving it a good greasing and to date it seems to have suffered no ill effects.

Andy

The mechanical style scissor jack is not designed to be used for general servicing or wheel changing. It is purely for emergency use out in the sticks. The KZJ 70 comes with a hydraulic jack which is stronger and consequently longer lasting but neither type is really stable enough for general use. If wheel changing and servicing is on the bill, then invest in a trolley jack, the bigger the better (within reason).

Roger

Too true Roger, but the 80 series jack looks just like a hydraulic bottle jack ,but screw.
Used mine yesterday for the first time, and must say that I was impressed with it.
Shan't be rushing out to replace it just yet.
Must get a spreader plate, for out in the field use though.

I don't think that any Landcruisers came equipped with the "scissor" type jacks as OEM. They all seem to be "bottle" type with either screw or hydraulic mechanisms.

One mod I've done to the OEM jack is to weld a socket over the loop bit and so can use an electric/air impact gun to lift the truck in seconds. I did this years ago firstly stripping it and giving it a good greasing and to date it seems to have suffered no ill effects.

Andy
Or just put a strongish screw hook in the chuck. (then you can also use the normal crank). Works very well, and easy to get to the best jacking position. I normally carry a powerful battery drill, so wheel changes are snappy.

When i bought my truck i drove 200 odd miles home without knowing the jack was missing . I think as most cars are supplied with the screw scissor jacks many previous owners tend to "forget" to include the far better hydraulic jack in the sale . Perhaps something i should have mentioned in the things to check before you buy thread .

For those who use there OEM jacks just check it out next time you use it as I found a nice long crack in mine yesterday.

It's on the second extension in the guide slot and runs for a good 10cm or more.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370064572.803152.jpg

I do have a few of these. I've done as andy has and use an impact gun.

Back