Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing front wheel bearings using FSM

Garage
Hi,

We are replacing the front wheel bearings on the 80.

Have found the service manuals on mudtoys which are great, but I can't find any info on how to change the wheel bearings.

So far, the the wheel and the brake caliper have come off. We can't get access to the bearings. Can anyone point me to the correct page on the FSM or a link to a how-to guide?

I have tried searching but it couldn't do the search because the words are too common?

Thanks chaps!

EDIT- Think I'm being a proper moron, can't find rear diff accuator either as it should have a breather I can put WD40 down to try and free the accuator. Any advice?

Look under 80 series in the main menu and there is a mods and repairs link right at the top :cool:

James,
PM sent with some hints (including the guide that Paul has pointed out :cool: ) and my phone number if you want to give me a shout.

I think you're getting stuck on getting the hub cover off. Getting this off, with the cone washer shenanigans, is an old chestnut for most 80 owners :mrgreen:
Once you've got the lock nuts and tabbed washers off, the hub will come off easily and you can knock the races out with a punch.

Cheers,

Excellent! Thanks guys and for the PMs very handy.

N/S/F bearing out now and very worn and the grease is very congealed.
It's the other side which is fubar'd!

Thanks for the detailed PM Andrew and thanks Ian for the page numbers on FSM, not sure why those pages didn't come up when I searched for bearings.

The O/S/F 54mm outer nut is very, very stiff and we've been struggling to get it off. It's almost impossible to get off.

Could something have melted behind it and welded it on or something?
It doesn't feel right if you know what I mean!

is there a tab washer?, bend tabs back out of way

well thats what my old 4runner had between the two 54w locknuts

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just managed to get the outer 54mm nut out and it's totally thrashed, has hardly any thread on it. Not sure if it will go back on again.

Where the heck can I get thr 54mm nut on a Sunday?!
:(

James Rothwell said:
The O/S/F 54mm outer nut is very, very stiff and we've been struggling to get it off. It's almost impossible to get off.
As Andy said, check that the tabbed washer isn't causing problems. It sounds like the nut might be cross-threaded :shock:
I guess it's conceivable that the bearing is so knackered that it's run very hot and caused things to seize. Or maybe a previous owner loctited the lock nuts in there because he didn't have the tabbed washers or he was frustrated with the pre-load being lost...

You could try cutting/splitting the nut off but there's not a lot of space in there to manoeuvre... Maybe your best option is to unscrew it as best you can and go from there. You might have to repair the threads and use a new lock nut (a good idea anyway). It sounds like you have to sort the bearing and if the nut is fused or seized, you're going to have to fix it eventually, so you probably have to dive in.
Try some penetrating oil and also use a long breaker bar, which might give a bit mroe controllable leverage on the socket.
Good luck!
Cheers,

Oops, posted at the same time!
Good news that you've got it off!

Try getting hold of Ian Rubie as he may have some in stock. If you're really stuck, I should have one or 2 old ones that I took off mine - as I recall they have a few nicks from the previous owner's efforts with a hammer and screw-driver to tighten :roll:
But the threads should be ok and they will do the job until you can get new ones.

Cheers,

Ian managed to get the bearings for me amongst other things.
The tabbed washer came off no problem, but the inner 54mm nut is also very difficult to get off the other side was easy enough but there is something not right, also finding small particles of metal that shouldn't be there.

I shall PM Ian and see if he has them, otherwise if the offers still available I guess I'll be coming to see you Andrew!

It's well and truly stuck on like the outer nut. Ian I need to order a new 54mm socket, it's that tight that the one you lent me is getting bent out of shape! It really does not want to come off, even with about 4 gallons of WD40 on it trying to get in there.

Sounds like the stub axle is possibly foo bar, you may need more than new nuts. See how much trouble you have pulling the hub off once both nuts have been removed because that can also be a major problem if the bearings have got hot enough :(

Jon Wildsmith said:
See how much trouble you have pulling the hub off once both nuts have been removed because that can also be a major problem if the bearings have got hot enough :(

Cannot get the inner nut off. No matter what we do, coated it in wd40 cleaned it up and got a nice fit on the socket and it just will not budge.

Any ideas how to get it off? If I'm sure I can get one to put back on tommorow I guess we could drill it off?

James, I had very similar problems with one side on mine where it had been butchered. The previous owner had tightened the nut with a chisel. This distorted the nut so that it was effectively clamped. It took some considerable effort to get it off. And, I experienced the same metal shavings that you are talking about. I think that perhaps drilling the nut and splitting it might be the best option. It will screw up the threads if you try to unscrew it all the way. I had to use a new nut to re cut the stub axle threads. Even now the first inch is still really stiff. Have you tried tightening the nut to see if you can get it moving backwards so that you can wire brush the thread in front of it?

Once that it off, the rest really is plain sailing. Give the threads a real wash down and wire bush before re assembly.

Chris

Right inner nut finally off!

Now... the hub assembly seems to be stuck on at the 2 o'clock position, there is something keeping it on. Suspect something has got very hot and managed to melt itself on somehow.

At least it happened here rather than in the Sahara!

Whoa...

It's off. Stub axle is destroyed has melted and is all deformed. Half shaft has some groves and scoring from the heat.

Oh dear.... Thankfully Mr Rubie has been in touch and has a stub axle! Phew!

James Rothwell said:
Whoa...

It's off. Stub axle is destroyed has melted and is all deformed. Half shaft has some groves and scoring from the heat.

Oh dear.... Thankfully Mr Rubie has been in touch and has a stub axle! Phew!
It seems you caught it just in time, mine melted right through :shock: and the wheel disappeared into the distance down the A3 :o
Chas

Yay, both wheel bearings sorted and all greased correctly. New brake pads fitted.
Front and rear diff oil changed. Engine oil drained and filled.

Dan fitted a new stub shaft to the O/S which was the noisey side as it was wrecked.

Still got the spark plugs, have a play with rear diff accuator, fit CDL switch, and the pin mod. I've removed the mudflaps as they are going to get ripped off anyway.

After seeing Ians 80 again I really want a proper front bumper.
I see what you mean about your other truck being rather battered!!

Try asking Cossack, he had a front bumper (the red one) don't know if its still available. It was the mother of all bumpers.

James Rothwell said:
Yay, both wheel bearings sorted and all greased correctly.
Well done, that was a bit of an epic.
James Rothwell said:
I see what you mean about your other truck being rather battered!!
Most of it will buff out :lol:

Ian

Paul said:
Try asking Cossack, he had a front bumper (the red one) don't know if its still available. It was the mother of all bumpers.
Sorry :cry: , winch bumper went to Tobyjug. :cool:
Chas

Back