Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing power door mirror

SamD

Country Flag
australia
Hello all,

Can anybody advise me on replacing a power door mirror on a 1992 Series 80? I can get the mirror off OK, but the power cable connector isn't visible - the cable disappears into the door assembly somewhere. Surely I don't have to remove the door fittings to reconnect the mirror? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

I think you do, I seem to remember doing that myself.

I think you do, I seem to remember doing that myself.

OK, thanks for your reply. I suppose the designers never imagined anyone ever wanting to do that. I did the same thing on another car recently and it was a five minute job - this is going to take me a lot longer.

Cheers.
Sam

Have you tried gently pulling the cable up?

I did give it a little tug but it didn't feel like it wanted to let go so I gave up. Even if I did manage to pulll the old one out, I wouldn't be able to force the new one in again. Thanks again.

I did give it a little tug but it didn't feel like it wanted to let go so I gave up. Even if I did manage to pulll the old one out, I wouldn't be able to force the new one in again. Thanks again.

Its a door card off job. The connector within the door sits about 2/3rds the way up and will not reach the top of the window, even if the connector did part you would never rejoin it.

The door card is a 10min job.
Trim off the back of the mirror
One screw behind the opening handle
One screw lever
One Screw under the arm rest (arm rest just pops out, same as the window switch
Pull door card off gently
Mirror cable towards the front of the door.
Fitting is exact reverse

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its a door card off job. The connector within the door sits about 2/3rds the way up and will not reach the top of the window, even if the connector did part you would never rejoin it.

The door card is a 10min job.
Trim off the back of the mirror
One screw behind the opening handle
One screw lever
One Screw under the arm rest (arm rest just pops out, same as the window switch
Pull door card off gently
Mirror cable towards the front of the door.
Fitting is exact reverse

Thanks for that - I'll let you know how I get on.

The door card is a 10min job. Trim off the back of the mirror One screw behind the opening handle One screw lever One Screw under the arm rest (arm rest just pops out said:
A bit longer than 10 minutes for me, including a 40 minute round trip to the Hardware because the replacement NOS mirror bolts were 5mm instead of the Landcruiser's 6mm.

Some tips:

1. When pulling off the opening handle trim, use a flat blade tool to prise out the plastic gently at the rear of the trim first. It's a delicate piece of plastic, be very gentle otherwise you will be making a trip to the 4WD wrecker, like me!
(pic 1)

2. The window/door switch panel must be prised off from the front leading edge where there is a spring clip. Don't do it from the other end otherwise you will probably break the retaining clips.
(sorry, no pic)

3. To disconnect the driver side cable connector, press the button catch in the middle to release.
(pic 2)

4. The mirror cable is held in place with a plastic lug that you release from the outside front edge of the door. Not really sure how the cable is supposed to be attached to this lug, on mine it was taped up.
(pic 3)

5. When reattaching the cable, make sure it is not on the wrong side of the window rails. Errr... you notice this quite quickly when you try and close the window.:oops:

6. Sit back and have a cold beer as you admire your work.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 13112014217.jpg
    13112014217.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 98
  • 13112014224.jpg
    13112014224.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 85
  • 13112014218.jpg
    13112014218.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Don't know if you tried this but when you come to remove the int door handle trim, if you pull the handle at the same time the trim practically falls out.
The cable on mine was also taped to the plastic clip, looked factory to me.

The driver side was no problem, but the passenger one wouldn't sit properly for some reason when replacing it - that's when it broke on me. I'm not much good with fiddly stuff. Forgot to mention Tip 1. - Have Band Aids handy (standard operating procedure for me).

I went to gregge glass glazing company they took out my shattered glass and put a mirror in that they made and it moves as a powered mirror does They made a template cut out miror and glued it on I believe.

Last edited:
Back