Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Return to the Western Sahara 2013

I had the same thought processes going on. I would love to go back to Morocco, and the WS. I love the desert.

But my view was:

Morocco and Western Sahara will be there like this for a good few years yet
Romania has now joined the EU, it will have massive spending on it's infrastructure and in a few years will be like Poland, which 10 years ago was a unique and individual country but within a few years of joining the EU became just like Germany
Now is the time to visit Romania, before it changes for ever and just becomes another part of Germany's European Dream

I'm really happy to see overlanders that dare to explore outside the comfort area of the touristically overpopulated Morocco. :thumbup:

Over 14 years now of travelling in Morocco in various guises and I keep going back. This October will be my 4th trip in a Landcruiser and I expect to be next year at some point but maybe heading to Mongolia work depending. If I'm still in work it'll be Morocco if I'm out it'll be Mongolia and beyond.

More than happy to help plan a club trip if there's the interest and the 80 & 70 series gang don't mind being shown up by a 95 ;).

Actually this October I'm going totally solo so if anyone fancies a last minute trip drop me a line.

Glad you all like the report so far theres a lot more to come and then the reports/photos from 2012 and 2011 :D

Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing.

More than happy to help plan a club trip if there's the interest and the 80 & 70 series gang don't mind being shown up by a 95

ha ha!
Be a good blooding of a virgin (me!) no can do between April and September though :(

Its too hot over those months to be sensible. Last October was mid 30's temp wise and nice unless you need to do anything

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah it was hot last October, we had days in the mid 40s in the desert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

did you go with Atlas Overland Andy? I know Pete was out the same time as us

Ok so picking up the trip report again.

After our stop in Boujdour the plan was to take the coast road upto Laayoune then head east in land to Assa and the Anti Atlas ending up with crossing Lac Iriki to Zagora.

We were up early and after a stop at a patisserie for croissants and pain au chocolate the next on the list was fuel. For the trip from Smara we started with full tanks and 80l in Jerry cans. I knew from 2011 this was more than enough and both my 95 and the ISZuZU were fairly equal on consumption.

The first fuel was closed but hey there are others (I did mention Boujdours strategic location earlier didn't I?), I remember driving up the main street commenting how everyone had their Friday Best on but it was Friday so that's nothing unusual. Next fuel was also closed. Still we had plenty theres another fuel stop a small sand blown hamlet further up the coast so of we went.

Exiting town we laughed at the Chinese knock off hum vees the Moroccan army have now, stopped with the police for the obligatory checks, bad jokes and light corruption. Next fuel was closed, mmmmmmmmm this was more than a "normal" Friday. Laayounes a big city so surely they'd be fuel there, or maybe there was a fuel supply problem locally. Never mind Laayounes not too bad, we'll get fuel and lunch and off we go. Now with our planned route this was our last chance to refuel for 2 days and we'd be getting low when we got there.

Got to Laayoune for Lunch after more police, checks, bad jokes and light corruption. First few gas stations closed, ok somethings definitely not right now. Heading into the centre we saw a load of bikers from European and figuring their range was much lower they'd be looking for fuel as well. Success we followed them and found fuel.

Next plan was a civilised lunch before the next few days, again nothing open so we got some supplies from one of the few shops open and heading off. Leaving town were more police, these guys were maybe a different unit or something as hey had a new process, checks, light corruption and then bad jokes. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Next 100km was bad tarmac blocked by regular dunes blocking the road then a route I found on google earth. I'm always slightly cautious with my own routes as theres sometimes a chance the piste isn't there or is a goat track or something else. Only happened once in the High Atlas where a mistake can waste a full days travel. In the WS if there isn't a piste theres always a way round.

Anyway this track was there a big rough and boring but no problems with the planned route. Stopped for a coffee mid afternoon and plugged my laptop in for a charge on my cheap ass invertor. Always had trouble with this and again it was playing up. Got back into the truck and every warning light on the dash was on. Weird I thought to myself, and remembering the sterling advice IT professionals give you when your brand new pc doesn't work I switched it off.................intending to switch it back on again...........nothing just a feeble click from the starter. Jumped started think hat I'd drained my batteries a little over the last couple of day (I don't run a split charge system but a much cheaper solution of disconnecting one battery overnight).

Drove off for a bit, warning light kept coming on and off. At this point we were about 30km from a main road from Tan Tan to Smara so decided to take the direct route to tarmac rather than complete out planned piste section. We found a spot to camp a few km from the road a broke out the tools.

Didn't really get very far, we established well not much really, it was electrical but was it duff batteries, a drain in the system (other than the emergency beer system) or something else. So we did what all good overlanders do in a crisis................stuck some gaffer tape on it and cracked open the Flag Special before watching the stars.

Its too hot over those months to be sensible. Last October was mid 30's temp wise and nice unless you need to do anything

done it in April a few years back, on the way to the Gambia. temps were ok, but I had just spent 6 months in the desert so was well acclimatised! probably somewhere around 30-35. Biggest problem was that about 1500-1600 every afternoon the wind got up and there was a sandstorm, especially nearer the coast.
Also done it in January and that was pleasantly warm, although Morocco was cold and some of the mountain roads can be closed.

. So we did what all good overlanders do in a crisis................stuck some gaffer tape on it and cracked open the Flag Special before watching the stars.

:thumbup:

done it in April a few years back, on the way to the Gambia. temps were ok, but I had just spent 6 months in the desert so was well acclimatised! probably somewhere around 30-35. Biggest problem was that about 1500-1600 every afternoon the wind got up and there was a sandstorm, especially nearer the coast.
Also done it in January and that was pleasantly warm, although Morocco was cold and some of the mountain roads can be closed.

March is my fav time in Morocco, Snow on the mountains, almond blossom out, mid 20's temperature, lovely. All my 4x4 trips have been October or late November. I always think that in Oct on the well used pistes there been time to complete repairs following the winter. March tracks could still be unpassable in some areas colder altitude and possibly mud............not tried proper mud yet in the 95 but theres plenty of that here over winter

But my view was:

Romania has now joined the EU, it will have massive spending on it's infrastructure and in a few years will be like Poland, which 10 years ago was a unique and individual country but within a few years of joining the EU became just like Germany
Now is the time to visit Romania, before it changes for ever and just becomes another part of Germany's European Dream

Don't hold your breath Moggy, plenty of time yet. I came to Romania in 2001 to help them invest the EU money they had secured under ascension agreements, loans and grants pre-joining the EU, targeted at major road and rail infrastructure projects.

The authorities here are so fcuked up they have wasted most of the money by letting projects, without even having secured ownership of the land. It's a big mess and most of the money has gone out in termination damages, instead of building motorways.

its coming, but very slow. There's a good 10 years yet before it will show any sign of kicking off properly.

We start work around end of March till end September, so some winter sun sounds just perfect! November/December ish :)

Aargh - decisions, decisions. Good trip report though ;)

Hi Mark,

Good video, taken with a gopro?

Did you use Go Pro Studio to edit it?

Pete

yes gopro hero 3 and some clips from an iPhone 4s edited in gopro studio using one of the preset templates

Ive bought one for Portugal, hoping to be able to put together a decent short video.

Glad it was gopro studio as thats what ive downloaded!

Cheers

Pete

My tip would be to video as much as possible and change camera angles as often as you can. I ha hours of clips to go through to get 5 minutes of the video in the first post. Some is very boring out the front views.

The software is fairly easy to use. That is my first edit and apart from putting the wrong year in the credits I'm really pleased with the result

Back