Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RinseKit conveniently delivers hot, pressurized water anywhere!

Just had a look at their site, seems a great item, so how is the water pressurised? they make no mention of that apart from saying "Fill with water from the tap and it's ready to go" and "The water inside is the same pressure as your tap" that's impossible water can't be compressed, so how is it done? I expected it to be pressurised with an external air supply but that isn't mentioned at all.

Clever thing. They do seem to have thought of most things. Quite a heavy thing for some people to lug about. But promising.

Yes they do Chas. The water going in compresses the air in the box / chamber which then pushes the water back out.

What little I know about physics tells me that won't work (Well not efficiently anyway) That pressure would last no time at all, as soon as you press the trigger pressure will drop drastically, maybe last a few seconds I would say. It won't be anything like continuous pressure from a tap which is what they imply.

What little I know about physics tells me that won't work (Well not efficiently anyway) That pressure would last no time at all, as soon as you press the trigger pressure will drop drastically, maybe last a few seconds I would say. It won't be anything like continuous pressure from a tap which is what they imply.

Well my water supply is via a pump from a spring fed tank. If you just use a pump you get very "surgey" water. So things like combi-boilers dont work, and the pump wears out quicker. So you pump into an expansion vessel, which is a tank containing a rubber bladder. The tank is pressurised to about 2.5 bar. The pump pushes water into the tank. When I turn the tap on I get pressurised water until the pressure drops to about 1.7 bar and the pump kicks in again. In the shower you get about 30 seconds before you notice the pressure kick in again. My pressure tank is 60 litres. That box looks a little smaller. I think it'd be enough to shower off sea water. Assuming that's how it works.

Expansion tanks are like this. http://www.pumpsukltd.com/lowara-ve...K1UjxOzdVc9VVz1LdnjS4vLiA4TD3L9bcwRoCzvLw_wcB

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I presume your expansion tank is a lot bigger than that portable one and you get about 30 seconds before the pump tops up the pressure, as the portable doesn't have a pump topping up I was right in saying just a few seconds of pressured water supply, yes?

I'm with you Chas i think my right arm can produce more pressure than any home water supply .

We had one of those hozelock hand pump pressure sprayer things on a boat i once worked and yeah it was great we stuck a shower head on it and about 10 pumps gave you about 2 minutes and only a faggot wasn't in the pub in less than 5 minutes when we hit shore .

I presume your expansion tank is a lot bigger than that portable one and you get about 30 seconds before the pump tops up the pressure, as the portable doesn't have a pump topping up I was right in saying just a few seconds of pressured water supply, yes?

I'm not sure. They look fairly similar in size. But not many seconds, yes.

I'm not sure. They look fairly similar in size. But not many seconds, yes.

Replying to my own post and have subsequently run a scientific test. 1 minute 40 seconds between pump cycles from the shower. Being dowsed in warm water clearly disrupts my perception of time. And for scale, here is a rusty old 60 litre tank with a small 4x4 for scale. Maybe more time than you'd think, but you're not going to listen to all of Bohemian Rhapsody while showering.
IMG_0205.JPG

I haven't looked further at how this works, but if you consider that perhaps ..

The box has a balloon (bladder) inside which is inflated to fill the space. When you fill it, the water is outside the bladder and compresses the air in the bladder because air can be compressed not only by the pressure of the tap but the weight of the water. When you open the tap on the shower that air will try to expand pushing the water out. As it's only trying to expel about a gallon or so, I'd think that there'd be sufficient stored pressure in the air bag to make it work. I don't think it compresses a bladder that just at room pressure.

Back