Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rock sliders and tree fenders

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
There are many designs for side protection devices and in true form I decided to add yet another. That's the thing with bespoke design, you don't always end up with what you had in mind. Well these have proven very effective so far. Given the amount of paint that has been rubbed off, they are clearly doing the business.

I started by fabricating chassis brackets. I wanted through bolts to tension them onto the chassis rails, but also to have a solid bottom end. This required accurate measurement of the width at the mounting point.

IMGP3807.jpg

They looked like this when offered up loosely

IMGP3810.jpg

Then I added the 50mm rock slider. This protects the underside.
IMGP3812.jpg

They are only tacked. That's not the extent of my welding skill.
Then I got into pipe notching with gas pipe. This is very satisfying.
IMGP3783.jpg

But there was some tricky geometry to cater for
IMGP3787.jpg

This gave me a set that looks like this
IMGP3821.jpg

and when fitted like this
IMGP3817.jpg

All they needed then was a coat of paint and I was ready.

No I didn't put High Lift jacking points on them. Largely because HL jacks are really a bit useless in my view. I have a jack with the car and that is fine for changing wheels. I think that they are one of the most over rated must have 4 x4 accessories that you can get. They look cool as an ornament. But in any case, I can use the HL straight onto the sliders. If I am only changing a wheel then it works fine without special sockets. OK, I might add some later - all right?

Chris

Good looking tubes, but what happened your Asfir-sliders? ;) Have you sold the brackets?

Another thing for me to try and make....

Got myself a chop saw now, found a local steel stockholder, so need to order the materials and get practicing welding.

Chris.... can you remember the size of the box section, tubular steel and metal plates you used to make these sliders, as hard to tell from photos, and i wouldnt want to over or under engineer them...

ahh - i see one of captions says the sliders had 50mm box section - 5mm thick?

Eee, err, arr - I dunno Andy. Been here two minutes and questions already. I don't know!

I shall have to have a look for you Matey, I simply cannot recall. The gas pipe (which I cut differently in the final version) is mental thickness. I cannot imagine bending that (how you'd bend that in a pipe bender I dunno. As mine is a shortie, I put three slightly less intimidating brackets on than would be found on a LWB Wildsmith product. This gave give really good strength without need to be cut from a battleship. When I do the 80 they will be a different beast, I think. I do think that the box was 5mm yes, but I have some left so will check. They have certainly been effective.

Chris

cheers - you are the font of Landcruiser knowledge!
i would probably just use box section for both tree fender and slider

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not only that but I coach shooters too. And I couldn't help notice your avatar. Now why spend £60 on a bi pod and then hold the fore-end? Come on trooper, get that fist under the butt where it belongs ans let the bi pod do it's job!!

Chris

Yeah, box is fine., Most people generally just have one bar, but I thought I'd have a slider and a fender. No science as to the profiles that I used.

Battered and Blue said:
Now why spend £60 on a bi pod and then hold the fore-end?
Subconscious attempt to avoid joining the "half-moon" club if the butt slips? :twisted: Not that it would prevent this happening!
[/hijack]

Ahh and the principal cause of scope eye is the butt (unsupported) slipping under the armpit. Balling the fist under the butt gives the proper degree of support and squeezing and relaxing the fist gives minute elevation control and better grouping. It also allows the body to be flatter on the ground. Having the free hand supporting the stock (or actually introducing more vibrations etc) means that you cannot get your head and body down low in line with the rifle's line.

Lesson over. Back to cruisers? Or maybe a new thread.

Chris

Andrew Prince said:
Or maybe a new thread.
Admin will be with you shortly... Sorry - Chris... Shortly is someone else I'm thinking of ;-)

cheers for the shooting tip. i will try that out, not much recoil on a .22lr mind you!

You are welcome to try my .300 WIn Mag anytime with 200gr round nosed. Going up this weekend. Might knock over a big one or two.

Chris

Battered and Blue said:
Going up this weekend. Might knock over a big one or two.
Chris

Will you be in the Edinburgh area perchance ??

(I'm boat-launching at Port Edgar on Saturday morning - but not with my car).

Bob.

Stranraer Bob..
Chris

Battered and Blue said:
You are welcome to try my .300 WIn Mag anytime with 200gr round nosed. Going up this weekend. Might knock over a big one or two.
Tough beasts, these British deer - that's a lot of gun to be using on bambi :twisted:

Battered and Blue said:
Stranraer Bob..
My old man's neck of the woods. Well, before he ventured South to the dark continent!

Yes, but at 400 yards you want them to fall over not just get cross and run away you know.

Chris

You're welcome. What for? That's a heck of a time delay.

Those sliders are still going strong after nearly 6 years. Save that little truck quite a beating. Of course subsequent owners managed to take care of that in many other ways.

Back