Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2018 - Comarnic Visit

I think I'll dismiss that idea Clive, I've had a look on my AutoRoute map and doing that would add another 70ish miles to the journey and being at the end of a long journey might be too tiring.

Can’t fault that Chas, it’s a long way whichever way you look at it. If it ran east west it would be ok...

What' that other one that' a bit further west? I remember googling the trans fag and it came up with another one that looks a bit bumpy!

What' that other one that' a bit further west? I remember googling the trans fag and it came up with another one that looks a bit bumpy!
I’m guessing you mean the “Transalpina” Nick.

Again, that’s a North / South run thats even longer and further away from us!

It’s the DN67C and an asphalt mountain top route with fabulous views and worth the trip though.

It starts at Sebes at the north end, going down to Ranca in the south (nr Ramnica Valcea), the top end at Sebes is on the map below.

2BEF19A1-C93E-4C93-87B1-9647A3C9F860.png

I was thinking on my next trip. Whenever that is. Do that one going down and the other going up

It’d be great to have you both here as always, we’ll try to find something new... :thumbup:

The midgets rule the roost now Clive , i will probably have to send them to Disneyland or something in order to convince Grandma they will survive perfectly well without us for a couple of weeks :icon-rolleyes:

I don't think "something new" is necessary it's all good , maybe its familiarity but if anything on the last (third) trip the days just seemed to be too short and the trip was over too quickly . It's all Nick's fault i reckon we should have buried him in the forest when his brakes failed :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As it happened, it worked out fine but I wouldn’t have enjoyed nursing Nick's 80 up and down all those hairpins without brakes, like he did!

If only i'd have had a tow pole it might have been one of my happiest memories :laughing-rolling:

it was all good fun and no one was hurt

Clive if I come to you via the Transfag what town/area should I enter on the SatNav to aim for?

Knowing how much your SatNav hates you Chas, you could try putting in Cardif. It might just get you somewhere close. :lol:

You drive past it on the e68
Screenshot_20180104-090819.png

Sure enough Nick, but via the Transfagarasan, the journey to our place from the southern end is a good 80 miles further, all-in.

The Trans proper is not so bad , the problem is the furthest end from Clive's or nearest as you enter Romania is pretty much country lane driving in motorway traffic with plenty of roadworks mixed in , last year anyway .

It kind of does make sense to camp near the far end and with an early start use the Trans to reach Clive's by say tea time . But its more fun in company and of course Clive then has no excuse to do the run himself .

The prior overnight stops would need a reshuffle but i don't think it would add much to to the journey time in fatigue factor .

Mind you the DN1 one at tea time would likely add to the headache .

We drive right past the turn off every year usually stopping at the garage on the corner and there's a whole heap of carved animals at some place on the opposite side (can't remember if there's a full sized plane in the garden as well) .

Screenshot_20180104-123639.png
Orange star is where we camped before. Not knowing how much of the motorway had been built. If you stayed on it as far as possible and camped near/ on the trans fag ( there seem to be a choice of campsites) you could do that both ways and leave yourself time for the 3.5 hour trip to yours. As you know it' the non motorway bit that seems to take forever.

Sorry, just zoomed in my map. We camped just past arad on the e68. The Orange star seems to have been highlighted for a town called "clit"

Google will show me the way!

Back