Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

After all the publicity over the club fire tragedy, it seems the Romanian Prime Minister (Victor Ponta) has resigned. It's probably the least significant action as far as victims go, the sh!t will really hit the proverbial when the victims' law-suits start to come in IMO.

Official death toll now 32 and expected to rise, some 90 odd still in hospital, with some 60 of them still on the critical list.

One of the topics I train is Fire Safety, and I use a very well documented tragedy called The Station House in America to illustrate a tragedy as it occurs - its almost identical to the fire in Bucharest - seems that if the right palms are greased all this info and guidance can be ignored, terrible.

Well, you can add another to your list of examples Pete, this was originally a warehouse building, which is predominantly a basement structure. You'll know only too well the difficulties that creates for rapid evacuation contingencies. 400 people had a single standard doorway to navigate, in the dark, when suffocating from the gasses produced by super-heated expanded polystyrene, and burned from the same stuff melting down on them. It must have been hell in there.

There were no windows and no ventilation system to evacuate the fumes. Two men were posthumously awarded the highest honor for bravery, they kept repeatedly going back in rescuing trampled victims, until such time as they never came out again, both of them perished.

Last night there were 30,000 people on the streets demonstrating and it will be the same tonight. Three other clubs have voluntarily shut down with public announcements of apologies for having put lives in danger in the past. Let's hope something good will come of this.

Thanks Clive. Beautiful scenery, especially the autumn colours on the hills. Just added Romania to my list of "must visit someday".
Very pleased that Marius's cousin pulled through although deeply sad for those who lost their lives.

All the best.
Sam

Hey Clive, should you enjoy fly fishing (brown trout) then we can go next june/july to some cool places, not much of a road, lots of potholes. That would be Fagaras mtns, aka Transilvanian Alps. Looking into 180km away from Bucharest, last 20 km you use low with second gear.:shifty:

Hey Clive, should you enjoy fly fishing (brown trout) then we can go next june/july to some cool places, not much of a road, lots of potholes. That would be Fagaras mtns, aka Transilvanian Alps. Looking into 180km away from Bucharest, last 20 km you use low with second gear.:shifty:

Hi Alexy, never been fly fishing :lol:

Years ago I used to coarse fish in lakes for carp and in rivers for whatever was there, usually Chubb, Dace and Roach etc. but I didn't bring any tackle with me to Romania, it was stolen before I came here in 2001.

I'll give that kind offer some thought, I suppose it will need a w/e given the distance. Weekends are normally very precious time with the family (wife and 7 year old daughter) but maybe they'd like to come along (if you have no objections).

Thanks for the offer... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As the autumn colors seem to be popular, these will probably be some of the last shots worth taking before winter kicks in...

The garden, in the sunshine and in memory of the fallen...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sunday not not so sunny ....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And without shame, in loving memory of my dear sister who passed away on Friday after a long and brave battle with cancer. Beloved sister, mum, and grandmother, musician and artist, amongst a host of other achievements, bless you my love.

Her impression of us two, before Ana was born.

image.jpeg

BTW, the death toll from the Colectiv Club fire is now 44, and due to rise significantly.

Quick edit, 45 announced now, as I was typing...

Not happy times in the city here.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear of your sister Clive. You must have many mixed emotions now. What a great artist.

Now I know why you needed the laugh.

Thoughts are with you Clive.

Best wishes
R

Thanks Rich.

Yes, a bit screwed up TBH, yet she went as we had all hoped she would, peacefully in her sleep.

I was just going through the motions of the forum a bit robotically, when you really did snap me out of it with you're post! :lol: Thanks for that :thumbup:

So sorry to hear the news of your sister buddy our thoughts are all with you.

So sorry to hear the news of your sister buddy our thoughts are all with you.

Thanks mate, as above really, it will take time for us to adjust to what we thought we were prepared for. Appreciated.

Well done for sharing your personal tragedy mate deep wounds are easier to manage when they are brought closer to the surface . Our thoughts are with you .

Well done for sharing your personal tragedy mate deep wounds are easier to manage when they are brought closer to the surface . Our thoughts are with you .

After posting, Shayne, I immediately thought it was a mistake.

Anyway, everyone's been very kind. In particular, I thank you for your help in dealing with this, invaluable as it it turns out. :thumbup:

A problem shared really is a problem halved Clive.

No man is an island Clive but it took me about 30 years to work that out and its nice to know my hard earned experience can at least be of some assistance to others .

So eh ..... is this a bad time to discuss the bill :whistle:

Sorry to hear about your sister Clive. Cancer really is a shit. Thoughts with you and the rest of your family.

Beautiful pictures etc. Clive, thanks for posting those, the fire is a real tragedy and sorry to read of your sister.

Thoughts with you.

Chris..

Thanks guys, Steve & Chris, (I'm useless with that selected multiple quotes thingy) much appreciated.

Yep, I couldn't resist taking the photos before raking the leaves up and burning them :lol:

As for payment of the bill Shayne, come and get it matey, it's here waiting :thumbup:

The last count from the fire tragedy is now at 47 :cry:

Last edited:
Stunning scenery! I bet that road is fun when its peesing down :) how long did that take to load up to You tube?

Back