Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

eb1337ab8f183dae5bb11d051d19b577.jpg

67c1dc97a2a189bc25e81def254de43c.jpg

The carpatians are fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry Clive. Its not a Landcruiser, but it is Romania. My last trip in May this year I started from Comarnic

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nice indeed Ed, the road up from Comarnic looks like the road next to the Primaria (the village Hall or Mayor's offices) at the Busteni/Brasov end of the village.

It's not far away from me, my road runs up the same side of the valley but at "Vulterul" at the other end of the village. Our place is 3.5 km up the hill from the DN1.

I like the area around Bistrita too, my ma-in-law lives in a village called Domnesti, not far from Bisrita.

It sure is a great country for getting offroad and away from it all :thumbup:

The ski season is on its way soon, looking forward to some of that! :lol: Thanks for posting, love the photos!

Sunday 29 November 2015

Yesterday was a damp dog sort of a day, it's been raining for several days in Bucharest now and getting colder.

Although nothing doing at the house at 700m, rumours of snow on higher ground spurred us to venture out today, not far because we didn't leave until gone 2:00 pm so we only went some 30 km and up the old road to 1,400m on the mountain Sinaia...

...and lo and behold...

DSCN8153.JPG

DSCN8154.JPG

DSCN8155.JPG

DSCN8156.JPG

DSCN8157.JPG

For those that came on the Romania 2015 trip, this is the road that took us up past the little monastery, and to the cable-car station that took us up into the clouds :? :icon-rolleyes:

Visibility was no better today...

DSCN8186.JPG

Walking up towards the cable-car station...

DSCN8158.JPG

I thought it was a bit nippy... windy too

IMAG0310.jpg

Ana enjoyed climbing up the hill to slide down on her bottom...

DSCN8162.JPG

But we soon started to feel the cold, so we enjoyed some hot chocolate in the little cabin....

DSCN8171.JPG

Coming down on the asphalt road was a big mistake. Two hours it took us because of a snow ploughed asphalt road with no grit or salt. Pure ice-rink and it's a steep road. We followed maybe 50 other cars at no more than 5kph... nightmare.

Anyway, we felt better after BBQ and a few beers.

Tomorrow is a national holiday and we'll leave early to take Ana Skiing at Azuga or Predeal. :thumbup: :banana-skier:

Last edited:
Monday 30 November 2015

Famous last words, we woke up to bright sunshine and 8 degrees. Some quick phone calls and it was confirmed that none of the ski resorts were open to pisted skiing.

So Ana, and our friends Chris and Mari, jumped in the truck to try to find a way through to Paltinul on the DC2 "road" which isn't a road at all, not even a cart track in places!

After the recent rain, much of it was mayonnaise, lots of lightweight winching, more to steady the truck from sliding sideways and to give it a helping hand when the tyres simply clogged up with gloop.

Interesting track though, and a bit hairy at times.

Here's a vid of one of the descents, we went for a reccy and had the devil's job to climb back up it was so slippery and steep.

http://youtu.be/PiHGB3-pzjc

Please excuse Cris on video duty, sound off recommended.

We followed this track for quite a long way, until we got to the part that simply was not wide enough wheel to wheel, and there was a crumbling edge and pretty sheer drop off to the right. Discretion prevailed and we did a U turn.

Came all the way home without needing the winch, pleasantly surprising :lol:

Maybe there's some photos to edit in later, when I've had a sort out.

Sunday 20 December 2015

Nothing exiting, but at least we got out on Sunday.

A couple more vids of us going up the hill to play frisbee with Ana, and back.

And an experimental view of my rear suspension at work, prompted by Chris' vid.

Note to self: must make some easier to use camera mounts for various places on the truck.

Last edited:
Not envious at all , i have spent a week moving our daughter to a new house which was great fun being less than a quarter mile circuit of mostly single lane traffic due to parked cars either side of the road and i didn't use my truck once to bully others into giving way , well apart from taxi drivers , so why would i want to be out there getting my truck dirty :eusa-liar: :icon-cry:

Cheers Sag :thumbup:

Not envious at all , i have spent a week moving our daughter to a new house which was great fun being less than a quarter mile circuit of mostly single lane traffic due to parked cars either side of the road and i didn't use my truck once to bully others into giving way , well apart from taxi drivers , so why would i want to be out there getting my truck dirty :eusa-liar: :icon-cry:

:lol: Nothing too exciting these days Shayne, but it does beat sitting in traffic :icon-biggrin:

No sign of snow for Christmas, but you never know till the time comes. We've got used to skiing on Christmas Day in the afternoon these last few years, doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.

All the best for Christmas guys, and the remaining holiday if you get one. I break up tonight, back in work in 4 Jan. Happy new year to all... :thumbup:

Hope you have a great Christmas and new year too buddy.

All the best Clive hope you have a good one , we are off for a weeks holiday on boxing day or at least that's what Helen thinks , i have told her i need to pop down the yard one day to sort a bit of rope and i have a couple of little jobs to do on the boat to do . She might not be pleased when she finds out its actually several miles of tangled rope and i need to clean every electrical connection aboard but she is very understanding as you know :whistle:

Thanks guys :lol:

Shayne, you're heading for a fall boy, if you're not careful...:eusa-naughty:

All the best!

Back