Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

Sounds like a blast - looks it too :) great pad btw Will get there one day !

That looked like a nice adventure. I don't think I would have driven down that track with snow banked up on right either, the vehicle would have been fighting to slide to the left and that big drop

You are so lucky to access to those tracks so close to your place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looked like a nice adventure. I don't think I would have driven down that track with snow banked up on right either, the vehicle would have been fighting to slide to the left and that big drop

You are so lucky to access to those tracks so close to your place. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly don't think I would have driven it either Andy, even if my missus hadn't objected. Though, I was prepared to go a bit further and shovel my way as would have been necessary. There was a 100m or so stretch affected, but ahead it gets even narrower and a more shear drop on the left, if that had been similarly affected, I'd have needed to reverse much further, and under more dangerous circumstances.

Discretion is the better part of valour in some cases, this was one of them!

Yes, we're lucky, but it's why we chose this place to buy the house. The mountains are in easy reach for walking, the bike, the skis and the truck. It's perfect, apart from weekend traffic in the locale, it's a PITA getting in a queue that takes 2 hrs to cover an otherwise 20 minute journey :icon-rolleyes:, which is how long it took us to get back from the run.

It's time you paid us a visit too Andy, Cheers.... :thumbup:

I will get to Romania again one day Clive !
Visited Bucharest a few years ago for a business trip but never been out in the hills there

Heading to Spain this year for our trip

You need to find an 80-series friendly track to bypass that 20mile jam section of road ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will get to Romania again one day Clive !
Visited Bucharest a few years ago for a business trip but never been out in the hills there. Heading to Spain this year for our trip. You need to find an 80-series friendly track to bypass that 20mile jam section of road ;) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This Offroad trip is it Andy, the detour, it runs parallel to the main road from end to end, on the east side of the DN1 between Comarnic and Azuga, and approximately 1,000m in elevation. :cool:

Maybe leave this link to Track N Go lying around so your wife can see it and think buying a set would be a great idea and make exploring safer. It may wash.

Maybe leave this link to Track N Go lying around so your wife can see it and think buying a set would be a great idea and make exploring safer. It may wash.

:lol: Yep, seen these and similar, they look great! Otherwise, I should buy a centurion tank, a bit heavy on fuel I suppose, but safe! :lol:

Sunday, 24 April 2016

Same trip again, truck-load of different friends.

For anyone who's interested, here's some more vids of that run... from Seceria to Azuga, offroad tracks...

They're a tad shaky, but...

Panorama

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

No getting stuck in the snow this time, but I did blow a seal in the power steering system somewhere, had to drive 20 km offroad with no power steering, then another 110 km to get back to the city.

Man, the steering's heavy on an 80 without the PAS :lol:

Truck's in service now having the PAS sorted and the timing belt and tensioner replaced... :thumbup:

Some good news for me, the PAS pump hasn't failed, the fluid leak was a cracked return pipe.

Trouble is, I've run it with the pump dry, and service says although it works, it's noisier than it should be and less efficient.

Does anyone know if it will fail prematurely now? I don't mind it being a bit noisy and I don't mind if it's less efficient, I just don't want it failing altogether in the middle of nowhere. A new replacement is upwards of €1,000 so a second hand unit would be the answer, or learn to live with it.

Any comments?

It will possibly put lots of heat in the atf, cook the fluid up and cause seal failure so if it's working, monitor the fluid temps. They do do a seal kit but you may need more. Might be worth a word with our man Karl…?

It will possibly put lots of heat in the atf, cook the fluid up and cause seal failure so if it's working, monitor the fluid temps. They do do a seal kit but you may need more. Might be worth a word with our man Karl…?

Yep, thinking about that, I get on a plane to the UK in an hour so I might give him a call...

Denboy is looking for an old LHD 80 to fix up play your cards right mate and he might give you enough to get yourself a nice swb 90 ;)

Sunday, 1 May 2016

Presently on an excursion to the UK.

We're in Birmingham just now, and it's bloody freezing!!

Whats going on?

Well, thanks to Stan @ Overlanding (Kendal) and the youngsters at Boss4WD.com.au, postie dropped these little beauties off yesterday....

image.jpeg

Can't wait to get home tomorrow and get them bolted up under the Truck....

Thanks everyone, Chris (Blown 80) in OZ, and Stan @ Overlander.

1st class product and 1st class service :clap:

Must add, thanks to Chas, I'm replacing my rear sliding side windows soon.

The frames on mine are damaged and the aluminum is blowing.

Thanks Chas for your kindness and the wonderful cuppa served up by the lovely Mrs. Chas. :bow-blue:

Happy to say we've just arrived home.

Chas' rear sliding window frame sets arrived safely along with the suitcase carrying illicit unsmoked bacon, an assortment of British sausages and some garden plants we can't get here :lol:

Sorry not to get to see Iwan, Chris, Karl or Frank, which was my intention. Time flew by so quickly. We did get to see Chas and Dervis's (rather pleasant) sister though (and I think my wife was glad she chaperoned me on that trip...).

Lots of new toys to install on the Truck in the weeks to come... :cool:

Remember we talked about tung oil Clive ?

I have been using tung
over the past couple of weeks on my inheritance (glad it was my job to take the unwanted to the tip) and i have to say its ability to penetrate is astonishing .

This here has perhaps never had a finished coat and it's least a few decades old having spent its life hidden between the arm of the sofa and the wall with a daily newspaper on it .

Tung oil 002.JPG

Its soaked up half a litre and could probably take more but Helen's been sneakily giving just the top another coat when i've left it 24 hours to soak . As you can see the top has now dried flaky which means it won't absorb any more oil but i expect to wipe that away with turps once i'm satisfied it's all as dry as it will get .

Back