Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof Rack Build

I'm no expert, but I don't think cardboard would be strong enough...........tends to go soggy if it rains :whistle:

Love it...

If it helps I am happy to trace my roof rack feet and send over if you like

Last edited:
I don't know what you talking about...

The joys of editing. Yes it was a mistake

Just to ad a little to this. I made a rack and made six feet that sat in the gutter. Four inches by 10 mm. Since the off roader has been parked up I've sat two complete pairs of axles up there. With moving the truck about a fair bit the gutter has slightly got missed shaped but you would be surprised just how much weight can be loaded onto a rack with no issue at all.
Obviously better to have as much area to spread the load. I'd say four feet per side would be fine for anything to be loaded on the rack.

Yeah maybe next time..... I think I need to learn how to weld aluminum and make the feet and flat bar out of that, or else it will end up being too heavy.

Has anyone successfully welded aluminum with a MIG? Or is TIG the answer?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Even with the 4 feet currently, I've had a spare wheel and 5 bags of wood up there with no problem. I don't really plan to have too much weight up there - a few jerry cans of diesel, some equipment, the side awning and the swag bags. Probably 100kgs at most.

At last I have had some time to finish off the roof rack. Here's the final product:

20140712_120421.jpg

Back