Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RORO Shipping

David Killough

Country Flag
angola
Hey all,

I'm looking to ship my Cruiser from Southampton to Walvis Bay, Namibia. Anyone have a good RORO company they can recommend?

David

Saw that thread and have requested a quote from those guys. Was hoping someone may have used a company and had advice or recommendations.

I researched this route some time ago & it seemed the only safe way to send the vehicle was in a sealed container.

Mark N said:
DIY - drive it :dance:

Mark, you have no idea how much I wish I could! To do it right though I'd want at least 3 months to see everything through Europe, the middle east, North, Central and Southern Africa. I won't have that kind of time this go 'round... :( Still, I'm not complaining. I get to drive through and explore the more remote parts of Namibia, Zambia, and Angola while I'm there and wrap it all up with a trip to Cape Town! :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Graham,

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup: I checked them out and they're not shipping into Namibia. Shame though as they look like a reputable company! :(

Hi David
I did quite a lot of research on this earlier this year, specifically shipping a 80 series to Walvis, Namibia. As far as I know, the RORO ships dock at Hull and Sheerness, not sure about Southampton.

I haven't actually shipped the LC yet will probably be doing so later this year, since Sheerness is closest to me I spoke to RORO shipping companies there. I found NMT Shipping the most helpful and knowledgeable (http://www.nmtshipping.com/), I spoke to a guy called Mike on 02380 236 313.

There is another company, John Bull, which ships from Hull. I've lost my notes on that company but from memory the process / prices are similar.

You have to take the vehicle to the shipping yard for them to load (ie they don't pick them up from your house).

Prices are in tiers, based on the volume of your vehicle taken as length X width X height. I was given these prices earlier this year before the price increases which take place in April:
up to 18m3 (cubic meters) = £955
up to 25m3 = £1,325
up to 35m3 = £1,820

from the measurements of my LC, it is only just under the 18m3 if I remove the bullbar, tow hitch and fold in the wing mirrors. Maybe take some air out of the tyres :) . If you have a roofrack, bullbars etc look at 25m3.

I spoke to someone else who has taken a number of cars accross and she has had no problems with the roro service.

As a comparison, using a 20ft container costs between £2,500 and £3,000 to Walvis.

If you need the phone numbers for the Namibian customs or import dept I can give these to you too.

Hope this helps...

Are you planning to import the vehicle to Namibia permanently?

James

james-c said:
Prices are in tiers, based on the volume of your vehicle taken as length X width X height. I was given these prices earlier this year before the price increases which take place in April:
up to 25m3 = £1,325
up to 35m3 = £1,820

James - Are those the prices you write the cheque out for or are the other Ryan-Air type things to be paid either side? If so, rough costs?

That seems to be the final price here, there are some handling charges on the other side, I think it's about £300 for offloading, clearance etc.

It's best to call the guys at the shipping company and discuss. Also the prices may have gone up in April.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that those prices are without insurance..

Mmmm,,

Very interesting.
At them prices, I would say sack off to Morocco, and "Hello" Namibia !
Then RSA, little jaunt around there, then back to Walvis for the voyage home.!

Gra.

Insurance is a must - I brought my dayvan back from Japan and it was damaged on the ship - they roro people dont have a liability, which I didnt know, ended up having to cough up myself.

Pete

james-c said:
Hi David
I did quite a lot of research on this earlier this year, specifically shipping a 80 series to Walvis, Namibia. As far as I know, the RORO ships dock at Hull and Sheerness, not sure about Southampton.

I haven't actually shipped the LC yet will probably be doing so later this year, since Sheerness is closest to me I spoke to RORO shipping companies there. I found NMT Shipping the most helpful and knowledgeable (http://www.nmtshipping.com/), I spoke to a guy called Mike on 02380 236 313.

There is another company, John Bull, which ships from Hull. I've lost my notes on that company but from memory the process / prices are similar.

You have to take the vehicle to the shipping yard for them to load (ie they don't pick them up from your house).

up to 25m3 = £1,325
up to 35m3 = £1,820

from the measurements of my LC, it is only just under the 18m3 if I remove the bullbar, tow hitch and fold in the wing mirrors. Maybe take some air out of the tyres :) . If you have a roofrack, bullbars etc look at 25m3.

I spoke to someone else who has taken a number of cars accross and she has had no problems with the roro service.

As a comparison, using a 20ft container costs between £2,500 and £3,000 to Walvis.

If you need the phone numbers for the Namibian customs or import dept I can give these to you too.

Hope this helps...

Are you planning to import the vehicle to Namibia permanently?

James

James, you are the man! That's some serious research! I looked into two other companies while waiting for replies. Here's what I've found.

Ascope RORO Shipping from Sheerness Port to Walvis Bay is £965. This includes Prices include: UK custom clearance, terminal handling charge in UK, preparation of custom documentation, shipping on the RO/RO service, boarding of carrier vessel and strapping and securing vehicle. What it does not include is any customs or clearing at port of delivery.

Auto Shippers RORO from Sheerness to Walvis Bay is £1157 including UK export documentation. It doesn't include port of entry customs or clearing either.

I've been communicating with Jacob at Ascope and he is prompt at responding to his emails and has been helpful. Transit from Sheerness to Walvis Bay with Ascope is about 16 days.

I'll look at NMT Shipping and give them a go. As for permanent export, I am not. I'm taking it over on a carnet to travel around for a bit. Will be going through Namibia, Zambia, Angola, Botswana and others. Will you be shipping yours for export to Namibia?

David, sounds like you've done some good research too. I'm from Nam, and my parents still farm out there - near Outjo. I'm sure they will enjoy some company if you are passing by and want a stop over for a night. My dad can pretty much fix anything - if you need to mend something en route.

When getting quotes, just make sure you give the dimensions of your vehicle as they calculate the costs on volume.

When are you thinking of going? And what route are you taking?

I bought the LC with the idea of taking it out there, prices here are about half of what they are there, and they are treated better here :)

A friend mentioned that I should also put about 2kg of silica beads in the car to absorb any moisture / condensation whilst on the ship - sounds like a good idea to me!

James

james-c said:
That seems quite expensive. I have a 20' container, shipping truck to CT in June and cost is £1500.

Olazz said:
james-c said:
That seems quite expensive. I have a 20' container, shipping truck to CT in June and cost is £1500.

I suspect that there are a lot more ships going to CT.

james-c said:
David, sounds like you've done some good research too. I'm from Nam, and my parents still farm out there - near Outjo. I'm sure they will enjoy some company if you are passing by and want a stop over for a night. My dad can pretty much fix anything - if you need to mend something en route.

When getting quotes, just make sure you give the dimensions of your vehicle as they calculate the costs on volume.

When are you thinking of going? And what route are you taking?

I bought the LC with the idea of taking it out there, prices here are about half of what they are there, and they are treated better here :)

A friend mentioned that I should also put about 2kg of silica beads in the car to absorb any moisture / condensation whilst on the ship - sounds like a good idea to me!

James

James,

Where do you get that much silica? I think it's a great idea!

As for dates, I'm trying to have it shipped out around the 1st of July so it will arrive sometime around the 18th or 20th. My wife and I will be out there around then and will pick it up and drive to Rundu, Namibia. I have a friend there who owns Rundu Construction and Welding and he often builds rear bumpers and such. I think I'm going to have him help me with building a rear setup for my LC as well as a roof rack.
I'd love to meet your parents as well! I'm always keen on meeting new people and networking. As for our route, the general route will be from Walvis Bay to Rundu then on to Livingstone, Zambia. We'll leave for Angola around July 31 and come back through Rundu, up through Katwitwi and on up to Menongue and then Cuito Cuanavale. We may even try to make it to Mavinga if time, fuel and conditions permit. We'll then turn around and head NE up to Huambo to see some friends and then SE to Lubango. I imagine we'll spend a good chunk of our time in the bush with only a few days being in the cities.

When do you plan on leaving for Namibia and will you be traveling around?

James,

Talked with Mike at NTM. Like you said, he was a nice guy, answered all questions and gave me an estimate of £900 for shipping to Walvis Bay.

The dates they have for shipping are June 22 - July 7ish, another that left on June 26 and arrived on July 14 and still another that arrived around July 27.

When do reckon you'll ship yours? I'm kind of leaning towards June 26/July 14 as the July 27 arrival date is a bit long for me.

David

Back