Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roych Clough in the Snow

I'm not impressed you drove that to be honest - especially bypassing the steps by going off piste. Unfortunately its that type of thing will get that lane closed.

Funny how you had no comment when others drove chaple gate the day after it was reopened, and that when i drove Roych im driving on very hard ground as its frozen solid so can do no damage, and if you knew anything you would know that it has be advised to avoid the large step and follow the side route untill repairs have been done . Its people like you who have no idea what they are doing thats the problem.

3mins 57 secs on the second clip is where I spent last Sunday recovering a stricken disco who'd spent all night out there with his family inside! He went down, couldn't get out and came back up there. He couldn't get up the steps so went off piste at the side and ended up buried. You were there before that as I can see the totem pole is still standing on the corner at the end of the wall on the left. That was laid flat when I arrived

Chris

That was last week when you were there chris this is taken the week before.16th

Last edited:
Like I said, you were there before me. I didn't say how long before.

He was VERY stuck. Should not have been out unprepared and without the proper equipment.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well at least you went and got him out well done i bet it was"nt easy .

It did. Once we got him moving it was dead easy, but he was buried and frozen in with little to anchor me to.

Chris

Funny how you had no comment when others drove chaple gate the day after it was reopened, and that when i drove Roych im driving on very hard ground as its frozen solid so can do no damage, and if you knew anything you would know that it has be advised to avoid the large step and follow the side route untill repairs have been done . Its people like you who have no idea what they are doing thats the problem.

Chapel Gate was opened and there was no voluntary restraint or other restriction. That said it is one of my local lanes but I still chose not to drive it as I thought it a bad idea given the sensitivity of the lane at present, just as I chose not to drive Roych's as there is known damage on it. I have not seen anywhere where it suggests avoiding the large step. Where did you get that information?

Personally my feeling is that if a lane is damaged already we should not drive it as it just fuels the negative sentiment towards 4x4s from other trail users.

Last edited:
Standby what ever you like you need to make a sound jugment when your out in hills and reach an obsticle, droping down that step into a 4ft snow drift
and being stuck there all night until some good samaritan comes to your rescue in my opinium is not sound jugement . You are putting youself and others in jeperdy.
The family in the landrover Chris rescued were lucky to be alive .If you look on other sites they recommend not to go down the step as there is now a large whole. I stand by my original comments.

The issue is that by going round the obstacle and onto the surrounding ground you are going off the legal route. That will lead to more complaints and lead to the route being lost forever for everyone. If you could not complete the route correctly and safely the correct thing to do would be to retrace your route along the legal byway. If you were unsure you could make then you should have recced the route on foot first especially if you were on your own.
In my view going alone down there in conditions like that is reckless, just as it was for the folks Chris rescued.

As for other forums saying to go around it they are as wrong as you were. It isn't what other forums want that matters, its what the PDNP want that's important and they speak to responsible laners through organisations such as GLASS and LARA and the TRF.

How many times have we all complained about the actions of a minority ruining it for the rest. If you're lucky you'll lucky avoid a Section 59 but don't be too surprised if you do get one.

Last edited:
TBH I'm with OG on this one. Lane after lane is being lost due to people going off piste. OK, sometimes you might have to do it, but please don't put it on youtube. Come on, use some common sense!

Last edited:
I understand the off piste stuff. But, watch and listen to the vids. These guys are on tick over. If they were reving the trucks flast out with mud/snow etc flying everywhere then i would agree that it shouldnt be done.

If i went down it though i would still keep to the legal track as we do every time. I personally wouldnt judge people for going the other route though as its there judgment. Its a shame that our own videos and photos cause issues between forum members who enjoy the same hobby.

Karl it makes no difference if you're on tick over or not. Its how other perceive us and in their eyes off piste is off piste. Any excuse to close a lane will be used against us. We have to be squeaky clean all the time to avoid this.

I do understand what your saying OG. Its just a shame that it makes us have to have discussions like this all the time.

Has anyone else noticed that normally whenever there's a disengagement on this forum its often laning related? :doh:

Such a sensitive topic. :|

Bring on OZ where chicken tracks (alternative routes) are common place! :icon-cool:

Is this the bit about 5:30 in the second clip? I haven't seen the DMS entry for that lane or read about it anywhere else but very often the right of way is all the land between the obvious boundary i.e. walls or hedges and often they are very wide so that different routes could be taken as ground conditions deteriorated. Some even have a summer (low) track and winter (high) track. If that were that case on this lane then there is nothing off piste about the route taken and seems quite sensible. When avoiding something would mean leaving the RoW then I'd agree, turn back or stick to the RoW.

Back