Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rustproofing, updating methods and products.

Very efficient, but what does it run off ? The front must get awful hot that close though. I notice he had protective gloves on to start, then none, then gloves on again ? Just the tool to use in the garage for a winter project, toasty ! Rich, the price of two is worse !!

I imagine you just plug them in. It's a 2000W laser so about the power of a small kettle. Front probably doesn't get that hot, though you might want gloves for splatter.

Bigger issue is they're half a million for a high power unit like that, well out of reach.

I think the idea is that the sound metal will sink the heat from the laser while the rust will not and instead flashes to vapour. Probably takes a bit of dialing in of the power to get effective removal without etching the underlying metal.

I'd like to see the result on proper rust, now that would be even more interesting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got my underneath washed down today; So here's what my cills look like a year and a half after being fully cleaned down, patches welded in, and then treated with Owatrol rust preventative liquid and then painted with a couple of coats of Owatrol black paint. I think it's holding up fairly good, a lot of the paint is still there, it's gone in some places but the main thing is there's no new rust holes, it just seems to be surface rust to me. The bottom lip that's rusty in the pics isn't as bad as it looks I don't think, I can't poke a hole in it, I'll wire brush it down and see properly but I think it's ok. Do you folks think it's faired well in that time, or have you gotten better results with the other products mentioned in this thread?

I'm going to clean them down again now and give them another coat of Owatrol rust preventative followed by another coat of paint now for the Winter. The chasis, and rest of the underneath that was also down a yr and half ago is looking well imo and is good enough until next yr or such I think.

Unfortunately, my rear axle mount didn't survive and has succumbed to rust (see my other thread) I don't think I can blame Owatrol for this though.

Attachments

• IMG_5535.JPG
    IMG_5535.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5536.JPG
    IMG_5536.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5537.JPG
    IMG_5537.JPG
    506 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5538.JPG
    IMG_5538.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5539.JPG
    IMG_5539.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5540.JPG
    IMG_5540.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5541.JPG
    IMG_5541.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 66
I'm more than happy with the Krown treatments on both my trucks, and for around 200 quid I'm not going to be rolling about under a truck and making a mess in my workshop.

Krown isn't that sort of treatment its a penetrative coating of (I'm guessing) some sort of silicone oil so it seals the rust without hiding anything .

They just jet wash underneath and without letting it dry let the Krown chase all the water away .

Prep is everything. Poor or no prep, I.e. removing shite, loose or flaking rust before any treatment, and thoroughly drying out, will have it fester, burst out, and very quickly look like it was never done.
Depending on what materials used, a few hundred sovs might cover that cost, without any labour which if properly done, is intensive.

As a very basic example, what happens to all the shite thats in the chassis box sections? Surely that has to come out before spraying anything else into it? I dont see Krown or anything else working very well over 20 years of soil

Where did you get a landcruiser properly Krown'd up for £200 ? There is one guy we know who does it properly, and he definitely is on the other side of £200

Having my 90 done at Krown early December, will update with results but I'm expecting to have to get it recoated each year for the money. The vehicle is over 20 years old so not expecting miracles and with the money left over there's always plenty of projects that need doing on it!

What have they quoted you for this Mick, out of interest? I had my Hilux treated locally earlier in the year and was planning on using Lanoguard as an annual top up...

Back