Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rustproofing, updating methods and products.

Wow, that's cheap - though as mentioned earlier in this thread, I guess it depends what degree of prep work they're doing prior to spraying...

...though I can see why you would be okay with re-doing it every year if needs be!

There is no prep work other than to blast underneath with a jetwash , and no need to dry before application of the Krown which in itself explains how the stuff works .

Its a sticky water repellent , i've called it industrial strength wd-40 in the past . It doesn't protect from stone chips and the like because it doesn't dry but then rust feeds on air and moisture and the Krown will weep into the chip sealing it from both .

I'm happy with the result on mine though i wish i'd gone at it with Aquasteel first just for aesthetic reasons (black finish) before visiting Krown .

I was always a firm believer in Aquasteel, but no more after this year. Aquashite.
Used it many times before with good results on different vehicles, don't know if they changed the formula, but a new 2.5 ltr bottle looked like very runny diluted milk and looked/ felt wrong when applying. It went down the bog !
After normal cleaning/ prep and doing a small amount I just new it was not good.
Cleaned it off, and in conjunction with karl2000 we used Granville, different altogether with just 1 coat, even better with the 2. then finishes on top of that. Covers much better too.

I only discovered Aquasteel maybe a year ago and milk fits the description , but the finish looks good and i was impressed to find how this spill dried on a plastic tarp .

I'm guessing i got the new version and you don't like it because the old version was thicker ?

1636666404160.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As said Shayne very runny diluted milk, not a patch on the old stuff. From what you have said, they have changed the formula then ? I know it is supposed to be a milky colour that dries black, but this was just like painting coloured water on, and after 1 coat and letting it dry there was not much transition in colour, whereas the Granville was near enough black with the 1 coat.
Granville is still milky and runny prior to application, but has more 'substance' to it, and goes much further without skimping. Aquasteel is off the menu for me now, wouldnt use it, if it was free !

Modern common sense , its better to paint your house every 10 months instead of once a decade . I sometimes almost wish i'd wasted half my life sat in a classroom doing absolutely nothing useful so i could understand it .

There is no prep work other than to blast underneath with a jetwash , and no need to dry before application of the Krown which in itself explains how the stuff works .

What worries me is the inside of the chassis box sections. Surely if they've never been cleaned out properly they will be full of mud and sh*te - whats the point just spraying anything onto that?

It creeps under rust causing it to flake off according to the vid i think i posted earlier in this thread , I suppose if water can get to it then Krown can and as said rust is a chemical reaction to air and moisture . Nobody worries about metal rusting under a smear of grease because it doesn't .

I've used Aquasteel to good effect, so far. If your using the milk analogy I'd say it's like full cream and gets tacky quite quickly. The bottle I have is maybe 18 months old now. I've found it only dries black on the rusty areas and semi transparent on bare matal or painted surfaces, unlike some other rust conversion potions which can stain paintwork black.

I used one of these to get where the brush wouldn't go

1636673706869.png

On my 2 wheel fleet I just use wax furniture polish when winter arrives. It gives you that nice new bike smell when you start using it!

TP, I think all of those potions that are of a milky appearance only turn black, some bluish, when applied to rust only and you can see the difference, no point in putting on anything other than.
In fact the manufacturers tell you to put In on rusted areas only after due cleaning and prep.
You must have the 'original' stuff which I found good, but not any more. Granville for me now.
We all have our different favourites as to what works best for us and our experiences of same, and all these rust threads are infinite with those.

Looks the same as my Aquasteel only mine dried black very quickly on rust and over paint .

Makes me wonder where you bought yours Tractionman and was it genuine ?

I can't remember where i got mine , the spill pic above i originally posted May 2021 , but i remember thinking about 40 quid was dear for 2.5 litres .

On a side note i just remembered applying Fertan long ago and quickly deciding it was a completely wasted effort .

Back