Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rusty HJ60 Restoration and Overland Build

Excellent work

Mark,

just stumbled on you post and I am very impressed with the amount of work you have done in such a short time and also to a very high standard well done and hope to bump into you at one of the meets and share a beer.

mike :text-bravo:

Interesting read; congrats to a job well done!
You must've put in several hundred hours? Goes to show that when this far gone, they are basically un-repairable, unless you are a good welder yourself, and can spend the time. Giving it away to someone to fix it is not an option - too expensive, and who is going to have the time and patience to do it right without cutting corners (in a figure of speech :))?

Often the frames here in Sweden are too far gone to be salvaged; just too much metal missing. Inside of the frame half filled with dirt and cakes of rust. Had a frame brake in half in Mali. Touaregs say our 60's aren't any good; they can't load them like they always do with about twenty people and a couple goats on the roof. So they are aware of the rust issues. Their own cars are rust free but often totally worn out. But they still prefer the 60 to any other car, including 80 series LC!

Even on a good car the rear shock mount cross bar is often crap, and the frame tend to rust along the exhaust, probably from condense water then. Rear suspension front mount is also often braking loose.
Frame fills up with crud; wish they had used an open frame, it would've lasted longer.

Well I'll stop ranting; enjoy your truck!

Last edited:
Thanks Gents.

So things may have gone cold on this thread but things certainly have got very cold on the Landcruiser front recently.....

More building and more testing to the tune of just arriving home after 2300 mile snowboarding trip over a week to Austria on Sunday.
As you can probably guess the 60 was perfect, not a single fault or problem despite temps down to around -15 degrees at night and as much snow as you could throw at it.

We lived out the roof tent and the Landcruiser for the week and kept on the road travelling about most evenings. The nights we were very snug up there depite waking up in the morning with frost on top of the duvet and everything absolutely solidly frozen including the gas in the car, infact the fridge was often the warmest place. Some nights we spent further down the valley to get out the extreme cold but the whole trip was fantastic and the Landcruiser sheet of things to modify or do grew to another couple of pages to make life more comfortable in the future.

So recent mods i have not posted including finishing the roofrack and mountiings for the roof tent, wiring a side light and some led lights under the edge of the roof rack so we can see to get the roof tent out, bigger interior light, roof tent power, 12v 5 amp feed direct form the batterys to allow for 12v inverter etc as a temporary solution till i get the 12 v charging circuits sorted out, fire extinguisher and lots of other bits and bobs....but like i say the list is growing as we use and find out what we need as its still all fairly raw currently.

Few pics i guess are needed... incidently for the mpg freaks, we got 26 mpg over 2300 miles which i was very happy with given the roofrack and weight we were running.

oh and if your wondering, no the eberspacher was not fitted :whistle:
:icon-biggrin:
DSC03356.jpgDSC03359.jpg

DSC03361.jpg
DSC03365.jpg
This was the coldest night, trying to cook at minus15 with gas we found to be impossible:icon-biggrin:
DSC03373ps.jpg
scenery shot
DSC03398ps.jpg
DSC03416.jpgDSC03420.jpg
DSC03418.jpgDSC03487ps.jpg
DSC03482ps.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Fair play for camping in austria this time of year. i lived near sol for a season and would love to do a trip like that where abouts did you go?

Gas works ok a -15, if you pour slightly warm water over the cylinder before use. Had to do that for a couple winters as I only have gas and an old Stanley cooker running on turf and sticks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How do you keep warm during the day in those temperatures living out of a landcruiser?
Especially with no eberspacher?

Glad to see and hear that the 60 did so well on it's first big trip (after all your hard work).:thumbup:
You must be as hard as nails camping in those conditions! A bit fresh for my liking.:occasion-snowman:

Great pics by the way.

Pioneering stuff, from beginning to end! (Not that this story is over by any means!).

Great restoration, great trip, great thread. Well done all! :clap::clap::clap:

I saw the beginning of this and thought, someone has seriously lost the plot here, that's unrestorable.

Absolutely incredible job, and in the time frame quite extraordinary.

wish I had those skills, but someone else is having to restore mine for me:oops:

landcruiser1_zpse35cd299.jpglandcruiser2_zpsfd0137b4.jpg

I did manage to source a couple of NOS wings though from a guy in Holland which was handy

Great thread, Mark! Really enjoying following you guys!

Did you ever get the Eserbachaur working? I've got one in my troopy, but haven't got it working yet. There's power going to it, etc.. but it doesn't do anything. I didn't fit it though, so need to pull it out and tinker to get it working. Just thought I'd check with you in case you've got any tips.

Is yours the 12v or 24v model?

Thanks Gents, sorry i dont get on here that much but really appreciate the comments!

@Leopard ..Well i did get the eberspacher working fine but then it stopped... not got to checking out why yet tbh (probably my wiring :whistle:). Mine is a 24v one and i got a fair few spares with it so i will go through it and try and get it sorted. With the summer here its sort of slipped off the list a little.
I also realised i had made a big mistake for two reasons mounting it in the engine bay...one that the air would not be hot by the time it made the roof tent when its super cold outside even if i came up with a way of getting it there and two if i ever went anywhere deep in water then bye bye Eberspacher.

My new plan and so simple i dont know why i didnt think of this before is to mount it under the roof rack in a steel lockable box. The output straight into the tent and either a seperate small fuel tank welded under the roof rack or a pick up from the main tank although that will involve running a small pipe to the roof and that seems like trouble to me.
Anyway i will crack on with that after the summer

So no real updates to the cruiser just yet, it did its first few miles "off road" on dirt tracks over in wales a few of weeks back. I was down that way camping in it and spotted a few guys in Landys having a little fun so after they stopped near me i took a pic of their map they had marked and took the Landcruiser off to see some scenery and a few pot holes. Not extreme but its not really being built for that.

i may have a few pictures but i cant find them right now.. will see

Something has cropped up while on holiday recently and while i could start another thread may be if some one knows or has some ideas....We had a couple of weeks away backpacking across Asia and one issue that cropped up is Airconditioning. While it may not be the highest priority job, a couple of weeks at 30 degrees+ in the day and almost the same at night almost cooked me. My mind almost instantly thought, "shit and we want to drive here"
Any body have any options/ideas or may be a full kit from a scrap one? I could i guess use any compressor from a scrap car and make one up but would prefer an original kit if its possible to find one.

More updates soon , oh and a few pics if i still have them.

@Andy - that phone is way too much of a museum piece to loose it. A friend who collects old mobiles even tried to buy it but it stays firmly in the LC :hand:
:icon-biggrin:
cheers

Found some, not very Hardcore but the views and day were amazing. Think it was a 6 mile round trip over a few hours..
DSC03918.jpg
DSC03994.jpg
DSC03955.jpg
DSC03971.jpg

DSC04014.jpg

Cheers

Thanks Moggy, it looks like a great starting point. Do you have a build thread on here?
I did manage to source a couple of NOS wings though from a guy in Holland which was handy

Are you going to try and keep the stickers on your car? Is this colour combination of stickers available anywhere as i would ultimatly like to paint mine and not have to paint round the stickers?

Cheers

Mark

I have a brand new full set, they are not for sale but could be used to make a repro set for you guys. In fact I will make it a priority next week to get them to the local vinyl printers for a price and will let you know if it helps.

Andy

Found some, not very Hardcore but the views and day were amazing. Think it was a 6 mile round trip over a few hours..

Looks like a good weekend. :)

I've also got the 24V Eserbaucher in my troopy. Will need to get it working for next winter. ;)

Back