Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sand Matts

Brett H

Can anybody suggest a good contact to track down some sand matts? I'm heading off to africa next month so need to get something sorted fairly promptly!

I've only managed to find them for sale new for around £150 which is a bit more than I was hoping to pay for them. Ideally I'd like to get some second hand ones but there doesn't seem to be a huge market for them.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Brett

Brett H said:
Can anybody suggest a good contact to track down some sand matts?
Do you mean the roll up type? If so I really wouldn't bother as they are shyte.

These are at the budget end of the market: http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/sand_ladders.html

I don't have any personal experience of them, but they may get you out of a bind. They don't weigh much, could have a few other uses and they don't cost the earth. You may be able to get them at a show price if Matt is going to the Overland show in Feb.

I personally carry Maxtrax, but as with most things from Oz they cost the earth these days, they work very well though, and again they are lightweight.

Good luck,

Scott.

Another very cheap option, and works ok is to get some good quality hessian sacks, (old seed potato sacks if you know any farmers), and if you get stuck, dig as much as you can and fill the bags with sand, then place infront or behind tyre depending which way you are going.
Can work, but maxtrax are better.

D44 do some, I see. I have seen the Matt Savage ones at his shop. They are very sexy indeed. or you can go to your local Army Surplus and pick up steel ones for £15 each. I got some plastic ones from a caravan shop recently at £6 per pair. You can fasten them together. Worked incredibly well in the snow. Got Reinhard moving - until his diff went. Really light easy to stow and easy to get under a wheel. Never tried them in sand. But can't see why they wouldn't work.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul said:
I have a pair off these, never used but kept outside. Still in very good condition though and most of the sticky plastic covering is still on them.
PM me if you are interested.

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/produc ... adders.php
Hey Bret these are what you want.... don't go for imitations, these are the real thing :thumbup:

If it's any help, these look identical to the Mantec ones I have (see sig pic). I got mine as new with protective film still on them off eBay for £75 but you very rarely see them on there.

Paul, don't doubt it for a second, but what makes that design so successful? I know that you've been out in the sand for a play. Obviously they are lighter than the NATO steel ones, but I have always worried about them bending all over the place. Do tyres really get traction on them? Do waffle boards work as well?

I fancy a set just 'cos I do. The Savage ones look the same as those. Probably make a nice dining table too :lol:

C

Are those aluminium sand ladders strong enough to bridge with? They certainly seem popular and look much easier to use/store/throw around than these fibreglass bridging ladders I have..

Chris said:
Paul, don't doubt it for a second, but what makes that design so successful? I know that you've been out in the sand for a play. Obviously they are lighter than the NATO steel ones, but I have always worried about them bending all over the place. Do tyres really get traction on them? Do waffle boards work as well?

I fancy a set just 'cos I do. The Savage ones look the same as those. Probably make a nice dining table too :lol:

C
All will work but... in the heat of the desert (or Africa which is where Bret is going) the last thing you want to be doing is humping round steel sand ladders or fiberglass waffle boards when the going gets tough.

Jimbo4x4 said:
Are those aluminium sand ladders strong enough to bridge with? They certainly seem popular and look much easier to use/store/throw around than these fibreglass bridging ladders I have..
I wouldn't like to use the sand ladders/tracks for bridging.. except I guess in an emergency when there's no other option.

I was thinking the same Jim. I worked for 6 years in aluminium industry and despite clever pressing and contours I find it hard to believe that they would take the weight - unsupported. On sand, yeah, sure. What I don't want to do is end up having to carry different sorts of ladders / boards. If these DO take the weight, then check e-bay soon as my Tracmats will be on there for sale!!!

Paul just read your update. With you on the first point. Shame on the second.

Chris

No humping involved when I use waffle boards :? :mrgreen: seriously, they're probably heavier than a sliver of aluminium but they're not all that heavy. I do seem to recall an OJ review likeing the mantec planks in sand.

Those Matt savage type flexi (red) type ones just seem to fold under the wheels in soft sand,

The bridging ladders /waffle boards (you know the ones consisting of lots of squares) are much better, but quite heavy to cart around,

I havnt ried the ali ones, I was worried too about them bending & then having to straighten them to put them back in the car.

For me, (in sand) MAXTRAX are the only way to go!!!

Andy, the Matt Savage ones that I am talking about are aluminium. Traditional pressed, circular hole type. Trouble is that they look far too good to drive one!

Chris

As the original poster said "sand mats wanted" I assumed he wanted something for use on sand :think:

I have used, roll out rubber mats, NATO style steel ones, fiberglass waffle boards and my current aluminum ones (Mantec).

Rubber roll out mats just get pulled through the wheels and spat out the other side :doh:

NATO steel ones are okay but heavier than the aluminum ones.

Fiberglass waffle boards/bridging ladders are fine if you are just doing a days green laning but, believe me your really don't want to be lifting those off and onto your truck in 40c+ heat... they ARE heavy ;)

Aluminum ones are the only ones I use now on our Morocco trips.

Thank you to everyone for all your feedback, some good points for consideration there.

I've had a few offers from members in my area so think I'm sorted which is great news! One more item ticked off the list.

Hopefully I won't be using them too frequently but it will certainly be nice to know that we've got them on board.

Cheers

Brett

Just for reference, a maxtrax weighs less than 4kgs. http://www.maxtrax.com.au/

Glad you've got it sorted Brett, it's good to be perpared for sand recoveries. I was sure I was going go bury it at least once in Morocco, but was pleasantly surprised to survive the trip without needing the maxtrax at all.

Cheers,

Scott.

Back