Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Satellite Phone

Leigh

Hi All

I am looking for a second hand (read: cheap) sat phone that I can take through Central and South East Asia. If anyone has one (or knows someone that has one) that they don't need anymore, I would be interested.

Thanks.

Hi Leigh

Have you considered renting one? If its for a once off, renting will be your best bet. Plus the technology you get when renting will likely be more up to date than buying a second hand unit.

I own an Iridium for work (I'm a director of a business and like to check up on things when in remote places :) ). For Asia you'll probably want to look at Iridium.

Let me know it you have any Q's.

Cheers,

Nigel

Renting us quite expensive, I would recommend fleabay, plenty of bargains on there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

As rob said eBay. I brought one similar to robs for around 170 I think and it works with my orange sim :thumbup:

Do you really need two way comms?

A spot Connect would allow you to send text and email over the gps system. One way only though, but have the advantage of being a global EPIRB too.

It also allows pals to real time track your gps position.

Check them out at

http://www.findmespot.eu/en/

Available through Amazon too

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks All

Have looked at hiring but some of the comments on this forum suggest that deposits are exorbitant. Have looked at purchasing new but price seemed prohibitive.

The SpotConnect device looks like it will do everything that we need and for a "reasonable" price.

Andrew - have you tried the Spot connect? Is it reliable/as good as the marketing suggests?

Thanks.

Have you had a look at used sat phones on Ebay? Just remember to check network coverage and the cost of getting a Sim card before you buy. No need to get a new phone IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I know AndrewT has used his spot connect locally in the UK and it worked OK
and it looked a neat setup in his LC with a screen mount

i have used a standard SPOT device and it has worked well in UK on greenlanes and sea kayaking and ski mountaineering
and in the Pyrenees and Alps in the landcruiser on offroad trips

The spot takes a little setting up, but works fine once your running.

The thing I like is I can run it from my iPhone. The only trick is to switch from track mode to check in mode that's the bit that had me foxed. I thought I could text while tracking.

Less than £300 will cover the spot, ram mount, emergency insurance and subscriptions.

Ps take the the €11 insurance some countries charge for search and rescue and that could easy be $50,000 a time.

My pal put me onto spot, he rode his motorbike unsupported from the uk to Japan And it worked a treat.

Back