Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seeking forgiveness from the collective/ I just couldn't help it.

Can’t blame you for taking a punt on that at that money.
That engine is crazily torquey although terrifying to work on from what I’ve heard, lots of bits require taking it to bits?, I hope that isn’t the case for yours.

I’ve previously owned the other version of these in a slightly posher dress with the twin turbo V8 petrol and it never really gave me much trouble, apart from 12 MPG and needing to be fed super unleaded.
Like you said earlier in the thread though I think the V6 diesel engine in this is sufficient, I’ve had an Audi A5 with that engine before and it was really good,never put a foot wrong, would love to have a drive of a V10 diesel though,even if I don’t think I’m brave enough to own one.

terrifying to work on from what I’ve heard,

Not terrifying to work on really. The engine is nothing special, just two 2.5's on a common crank. Not much room I grant you but not really complex. As you work on it it all begins to make sense as you go along.

I havn't given up on Cruisers, I still use the Collie occasionally and the 80 for green laneing and Maria uses the 120 as her car.

My ideal Cruiser would be a 100 series with this engine and box and the air suspension.

I quite like the Touareg’s, with the V10 though I think it would come down to how much you feel comfortable DIYing.
I know what you mean about a big multi cylinder diesel and air suspension, lovely things to drive, I used to have a TDV8 Range Rover, which unsurprisingly wasn’t great on reliability but when it was working was great.
I think if I was going to go for one of 00’s German 4x4s again it would be either a Touareg but I’d probably play safe and go for the V6 or the Merc GL with the V8 diesel.
Hope you enjoy the V10 though I bet it pulls well!.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
with the V10 though I think it would come down to how much you feel comfortable DIYing.

I really don't see how the V10 shouldn't be any less reliable than any other model Touareg. Its now done 83K so I don't see too many problems on the horizon (kiss of death no doubt).

Well after saying the day before " this has been perfectly reliable for the last 5000 miles " the kiss of death reared it head and the VW broke down 200 miles from home.
Firstly the ABS and Traction lights came on whilst on the motorway about 1 mile from where I was going to get off but everything seemed ok until I had to set off from the roundabout above the motorway. As I set off with RH lock applied it struggled to move with knocking and banging from the underneath so we limped to the first roundabout ( about 100 m) and parked it up.
Long story short we got recovered 14 hours to get home, no idea whats wrong but suspect mechanical.
Having a diagnostic bloke out to one of the trucks I asked him to plug it in to give me an idea where to look. within a minute he said " rear offside ABS sensor failure", this tells the control module to lock the rear diff making it protest mechanically when turning.
Said sensor purchased ( £28) and set to swapping it . Bolt out no problem sensor totally stuck in housing with rust and quickly snapped off . Looked at removing the drive hub to get at the underneath but that was massive work with a press etc so that was out.
To get to that stage I had to remove the disc, which was probably original which came straight off. What a mess inside, some bits of handbrake shoe lining fell out and a lot of rust. Anyway I sent a drill down the remains of the ABS sensor and with the help of maintenance spray and a long screw eventually got the bugger out. The new one wouldn't go in so essentially I had to ream the hole out until it fitted well and reconnected the plug.
While I was there I replaced the handbrake shoes, discs and pads and it went back together as one would expect. On the test drive all lights were out and it drives perfect

The offender.
IMG_0710.JPG

The state of the handbrake surface.

IMG_0709.JPG

And the shoes

IMG_0708.JPG

New handbrake shoes installed

IMG_0706.JPG

And discs and pads.

IMG_0707.JPG

This goes to show what can be hidden within an old vehicle, the handbrake passed its test last time but I suspect it was only due to the excessive roughness of the surfaces. Needless to say I had to do the same journey again in Marias 120 the following Sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed the run out, especially as it was without incident.

Not LC I know but hey ho.

Can't believe an ABS sensor failure would lead to a locked diff, dry roads max grip a good possibility of transmission wind up and something expensive breaking.
In theory if the recovery people had the right diagnostics kit on board and checked at the roadside, could the ABS could have been disconnected allowing you to complete your journey?

Can't believe an ABS sensor failure would lead to a locked diff, dry roads max grip a good possibility of transmission wind up and something expensive breaking.

It sounded horrific, like some catastrophic mechanical failure locking up etc. Drove it today a few miles, not a peep.

You are not alone.
Our (my) Touareg.
IMG_20220622_165211.jpg

I am more than happy with our 3.0L V6.
@AndycruiserguyLomas I guess your V10 will need injector attention to get such low mpg.
Our Touareg, at 60 mph is amazing.
It has a mild map, and outputting 265bhp.
I dare not map to 300 on an engine with almost 170,000 miles showing.
IMG_20230219_110424.jpg

I guess your V10 will need injector attention to get such low mpg.

Nothing wrong with the injectors Gra, I guess yours is far newer than mine and has an engine of 40% less capacity and its heavier. Also mine regularly is loaded up with 500kg load or towing a heavy trailer.
The V10 is very low tech, I'm satisfied that with negative depreciation and its low mileage its a cheap car to run. Your average mpg is impressive I'll admit but if you do a journey where you average 65 mph over 400 miles you won't see anywhere your average.

One ABS sensor failed on my 1.4 tsi Golf. Nearly all the dash lights came on and the auto handbrake failed together with collision avoidance. Took it to VW for diagnostic as I had no clue. They had to put a new sensor in but also had to put a new hub and bearings in as the magnetic ring was part of the hub !! Just oil on the sensor so if it happens again I'll take the sensor out and spin the hub with a rag in there.

Nothing wrong with the injectors Gra, I guess yours is far newer than mine and has an engine of 40% less capacity and its heavier. Also mine regularly is loaded up with 500kg load or towing a heavy trailer.
The V10 is very low tech, I'm satisfied that with negative depreciation and its low mileage its a cheap car to run. Your average mpg is impressive I'll admit but if you do a journey where you average 65 mph over 400 miles you won't see anywhere your average.
Hi Andy,
I also confirm that 65 mph kills the mpg.
I dont know how low, but I think 38 - 40 at best.
At 70 mph, I dont even think about the mpg as it would really go south.

Back