Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sigh! --Will I Ever Find One?

There's a a VX on Toyota Landcruiser mart on FB R441 FJN . It's an invite only group , so not visible to the public (i think )
"
  • The rear chassis legs crossmembers and supension components are all heavily corroded
  • The fuel lines are heavily corroded
  • The front chassis legs supension components and coil springs are all heavily corroded . this from 2014 .since then it's failed on a numberplate lamp not working and had an advisory -
  • slight underbody corrosion. It might be slowly rooting from the inside out but it seems that the repair in 2014 was a decent job .I think this is pretty representative of what's ut there.

I quickly looked on autotrader. There are 21 diesel LC amazons. 4 are below 100k miles. 9 bet 100-150K miles. One of those also has a snokerel and roof rack fitted. I will check other sites and update if I find any more

Toyota dealers sometimes give good finance deals like 0% interest on land cruisers with them. worth trying. you ll have peace of mind with dealers. I missed such deals from dealer as I delayed contacting them by a week.

Found one 2005 LC single owner full dealer history from buckinghamshire so less chances of corrosion I think. Pls check carandclassic.co.uk

you ll have peace of mind with dealers

Not all dealers are great. A lot of them arent much good with old LC's, my local one didn't have a clue about diagnosing a fault. (ECU, ECU, easy life.... useless)

I hope that it's OK (so please don't flame me if not!) but I saw this on the "other" site;

Hi all,

Just after opinions - I have a 51 plate Colorado vx in gold, it’s a lovely lovely motor and I’ve not long spent roughly £1300 on getting it tip top. A recent change in jobs means a pick up is needed as the landcruisers interior would get destroyed so obviously I’d go for a hilux. The landcruiser has about 157k on the clock full service history, decent chassis and 11 months mot with no advisories. Based on that little bit of information what would people give as a rough value now? Would it be worth me hanging on to it for a while if there’s potential on the prices appreciating after a while?

Look on Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club UK - free to join toyota land cruiser, colorado and prado owners community - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] in the 90 series section

He seems to be selling so it might be worthwhile joining and sending a PM. Based in Dartmoor I believe, so you could ask for some pictures for starters.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before I got my 90 I was pretty fed up with totally wrong descriptions, especially the chassis etc, so much so I started investigating getting one from Japan. Some advertised had a good selection of photos also showed the chassis and back axle area. There were a few which were really mint and I was seriously intending to get an import. Probably an expensive way of getting a LC and a bit daunting as well. Anyway I did get a U.K. one and am very happy with it. I was pretty lucky finding mine so if you can hold out until the right one comes along.

Good looking 90LWB for sale in Lewes ....Sussex on FB Toyota market place .....
I'm too mong to be able to send a link or anything.....
Seller is Ramsey S James want's £5100 looks very clean but no pics from underneath W903 OKH if you want to check MOT history

Last edited:
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103079863665
1622229071046.jpeg

When buying mine in April, I shortlisted 2 red ones n a silver one. Silver car was from private owner. The finance guys told not to buy from private n stick to reputed dealers on autotrader. But I insisted on getting the private sale one, he agreed but doubled interest rate.
I didn’t have a clue about land cruiser, I never even sat in a landcruiser so I just went with finance guy advice n got from independent dealer. You seem to know about LCs so you ll get one.
I got the car checked at Toyota dealer and a 4x4 expert, they said no issues but m looking for 3rd check before my warranty expires. Obsessive disorder I guess…

Here's a nice looking one [another manual!] listed today. MOT history is pretty clean and it's a decent price [by the current over-inflated standards]. But, as ever, it's in the middle of nowhere from where I am; Thaxted in Kent. I had to look it up on a map to see where it was.

Don't suppose any of you fine chaps live anywhere near there?

SS 2021-05-29 at 12.17.59.png

SS 2021-05-29 at 12.18.07.png

Just found another one on AutoTrader, which is just a few miles from me in Stockport. MOT history looks promising. No mention of corrosion. But it does have ongoing advisories for "Oil leak, but not excessive". Now that may or may not be a bad thing. Almost every vehicle I've ever owned has like to 'mark its territory' a bit and, usually, this was just a leaking sump gasket or oil filter housing. But, it could always be something a bit more 'internal'. Is there anywhere these D4Ds are prone to start leaking that presages something more catastrophic, that I could check out, if I went to look at it?

The only other concern I have re this one is that being a late 2006 model, that will put it into the higher road tax bracket, won't it?

EDIT: Ouch! £585 road tax / year. Sod that for a game of soldiers!

Last edited:
My 2006 had a leaking front crankshaft seal which I had replaced when the timing belt was done. It wasn't excessive.

From what I've read from camshaft seals seem to go more often.

I dont think either would be a deal breaker. Fourby4Diesel has got a video on common oil leaks on these.

Not sure if the 2006 tax thing still applies or if they're all high now...?

Not sure if the 2006 tax thing still applies or if they're all high now...?

Edited my post just before yours, when I looked it up. £585 / year. Pretty much double what you'd pay on an oder one. And I have more than a sneaking suspicion that those 'newer' rates, being based on emissions, are just going to keep going up and up.

Cheers for the vid. Pretty informative, albeit the verdict seems to be "they don't leak"

Last edited:
Its a fair bet this one was saved in time looking at the mot history 6 years and 80k miles ago...

Either that or he started taking it to his cousin's garage for its MOTs after that.

It does look very clean & tidy for the age though. Although, as I've found out, they can look showroom on top and be disintegrating underneath. Unfortiunately it's a zillion miles from me, unless someone on the forum is in that area and fancies taking a peek?

Would that be an aftermarket intercooler on that Collie? I thought only the Jap import Prados had the intercooler?

And what's with those horrible wheels? Why do people insist on putting boy racer wheels on a 4x4? Oh well, I suppose having those monstrosities on it does indicate it's unlikely to have gone off-road. Mind you, they're not the worst wheels I've seen. Someone in Bury has tried to convert this Pathie into a pram...

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 11.32.30.png

Wheels are just 6 bolts , i've said before and i will say again that finding one thats been loved is half the battle . Its a D4D so intercooled .

Wheels are just 6 bolts...

Yeah. But it's an extra expense, to replace 5 of 'em

Its a D4D so intercooled...

Ah. So, all the D4Ds are intercooled. I'm mixing up my D4Ds and my 1Kzs.

Where have Toyota hidden the bonnet scoop? I only noticed the intercooler when looking at the pics of the engine bay on that one and presumed it would have a bonnet scoop. But, looking at the photos again, it doesn't on the outside, although there is one visible on the underside of the bonnet. What black magic is this?

Back