Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Site Upgrade (Something has has nothing to do with COVID-19)

Took me a while to work out "whats new" replaces "recent pots" . I must be the youngest Neanderthal on here :icon-neutral:

Well folks, it's been a long time coming!

I've been working on and off for a few weeks now on a new version of the platform and it's finally ready to go live. :)

At some point tomorrow morning (Monday) I will take the site down and start the upgrade. All being well, this should be about an hour or so. Worst case scenario? I wish you all well with COVID-19 and the coming months. :)

There is not much functionally different so everything should be where you left it.
The new version, amongst many other things, brings you the benefit of adding it to your phone as an "app". It makes is far easier to use on the phone.
It also enables a lot of new functionality which I shall explore in the coming weeks and months.

A sneak preview:
View attachment 164742

Cheers
C
So far I much prefer the old style.
Progress is not always for the best, smoke signals never got an Indian out of bed at 3am.

Thanks all,

Some repsonses

Very smart, I was wondering where the mobile "App" is? :thumbup:
The "App" tutorial is there now. Have a look in the Forum FAQ section for it. Android only for the time being.

would it be possible to make a better distinction between unread and read topics, it might be my eyes but I find it a bit tricky to see topics that have new posts.
I had the same thought when I was working on it during the upgrade testing. It could be a bit more distinct. On the list.

Will there be a 'Dark' option in the future? Seems to be in vogue at the mo :icon-biggrin:
Weirdly, there is a dark theme but it looked awful as it was red on black....

So far I much prefer the old style.

Feeling of deja vu Chas. You said that of the last upgrade too. So which is it? :lol: :lol:

Not upgrading allows the bad hackers in at 3am to take your data away. We need to keep one step ahead of them :)

Feeling of deja vu Chas. You said that of the last upgrade too. So which is it? :lol: :lol:

Not upgrading allows the bad hackers in at 3am to take your data away. We need to keep one step ahead of them :)
I just don't like change for changes sake, why was it necessary?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin, I have tried but can't find the same function we used to have where you could go directly to the first unread post of a thread that you had previously viewed. I can go to the first and if I click the time stamp I can go to the last, but not MY first unread. It used to be a small radio button. Other than that upgrades are always necessary. But not a fan of the red theme at all. Red is not a restful colour; of all the colours in a palette I can't think why we'd go with red. The rest is simply adaptation. Well done.

Well done for all your work Crispin, I was happy with the old look like others, but the more I look, the more it grows on me. Thanks for keeping on track. John

@Chris I think this functionality is built in now.
If you viewed the what's new tab, it shows you the new stuff since your last visit. If you then click on the title of something it should take you to the first unread post.
For example, I did this and one of the threads with unread messages was the Corona Virus humour one. I clicked on the title and it took me to post 73 which is Chas' post. That's the first one I have not read. Is this not what you're referring to?
If I read that page of posts, second last page, and try it again, it takes me to the last page which has the first unread post.

Let me know if I've missed it.

Red, well, yeah. Was the simplest I could find. May(colour-wise) be there is another theme on the go though...

Crispin, since the upgrade it takes me almost 2 mins to log on after clicking 'sign in' and about 30 secs for any page to load, is this something that will improve in time? it doesn't happen on any other of my internet pages. Not a good sign so far.
EDIT
also about 30 secs to load this answer
and another 30 secs to edit it.
Whereas before it would be instant.

Crispin, since the upgrade it takes me almost 2 mins to log on after clicking 'sign in' and about 30 secs for any page to load, is this something that will improve in time? it doesn't happen on any other of my internet pages. Not a good sign so far.
EDIT
'tis very instant for me... on a slow connection even.

EDIT

+1. Site running verrrryyyyy slowwww tonight for some reason?

Very nice and tidy, thank you Crispin for your hard work
:handgestures-salut:

That's a bit weird. I certainly don't see any additional performance hit on the server. Had a look around and there are no others complaining that this version is a problem.

Are you sure it's not your connection from time to time? I am on Virgin Media and still seeing full throughput even though everyone is at home. However, from time to time they do take a wobble for half an hour or so. Yesterday the house filled with wails as everyone's online game froze at the same time :) was sorted in 30 minutes or so.

That's a bit weird. I certainly don't see any additional performance hit on the server. Had a look around and there are no others complaining that this version is a problem.

Are you sure it's not your connection from time to time? I am on Virgin Media and still seeing full throughput even though everyone is at home. However, from time to time they do take a wobble for half an hour or so. Yesterday the house filled with wails as everyone's online game froze at the same time :) was sorted in 30 minutes or so.
I'm on Virgin too, but every time I've been to this site since upgrade it is slow but no others are so I don't think Virgin is to blame,

Just to confirm no issues at all here with Mac, Firefox and Vodafone BBand. Instant responses

Definitely not a connection problem. I know a slow bband/internet connection when I see one. Throughput a steady 24+Mbps, sub 20ms ping times. iPad and Mac on Safari. all other browsing is OK. It’s running faster this morning, login was pretty quick but still getting the few seconds of delayed page loading. Last night it was bad but if it stays as it is at the moment it’s not much of a problem TBH.

@Chas I've reset the cache for your account and realigned the jiggle pin. Hopefully this has an improvement.

@Towpack - Ditto. I can't see anything particularity different between anything new and old. Hopefully this helps.

C

Back