Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorkels

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
OK, another thing on my shopping list is a snorkel, and the one I am looking at is £70 delivered from eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-La...its=Model:Land+Cruiser+80&hash=item4ac49e0255

Of course, there are other options, the most common being a Safari Snorkel at a frankly-ridiculous £300. Ironman snorkels are a bit better priced at £200, but that still seems an awful lot of money for a lump of plastic and £3's worth of fittings! The only difference I can see is the UV rating of the plastic used, which Safari quote at UV20 (i.e. 20 years) whereas I believe the Ironman uses a UV8 material. However, not living in the Outback I don't see extended sunight damage being a major issue here in the UK. Just like the one on eBay, the Ironman snorkels are made from LDPE.

So, has anyone bought and fitted one of these eBay specials? Does it work OK? As far as I can see, providing they supply an accurate template and it seals OK, there shouldn't be a problem...tell me I'm wrong?

Cheers!

I have a cheapie on mine and not had any issues so far been in deep water leant on trees been fine.
Template was ok had to enlarge the big hole a bit and cant get one fitting in the hole but you wouldnt know.
Stu

Ask yourself if you really need one. With what you have told us so far Mike about your trip and vehicle build, what do you need a snorky for? You might notice I don't have one nor do I intend to. I reckon if I get that deep I'll most likely be swept away! Intake position is pretty high and std wading depth is 700 mm. Add a 2" lift and it's 750. How deep yah going buddy?

I've had this one on my eBay watch list for a while now and would probably go for it if I decide to actually fit a snorkel. Be interested to see what you think of it if you do go for it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm with you at the moment Chris. So far, do I really need one? Don't really like the look too much I must admit but with any water crossing I guess it does help take the fear of wrecking the engine away.

I recently saw a post (cannot remember where) about not wanting a snorkel permanent and someone had a temporary solution of lifting the bonnet and fitting a temporary 'chimney'. Bonnet was pinned closed bar the last 3 - 4 inches allowing the pipe to be seen above the bonnet line. depends I suppose how often you intend to wade, there is the advantage they keep filters cleaner for longer, not an issue with washable OE units IMO.

regards

Dave

Ask yourself if you really need one. With what you have told us so far Mike about your trip and vehicle build, what do you need a snorky for? You might notice I don't have one nor do I intend to. I reckon if I get that deep I'll most likely be swept away! Intake position is pretty high and std wading depth is 700 mm. Add a 2" lift and it's 750. How deep yah going buddy?

Hi Chris, I have thought about it either way, but the primary reason for a snorkel is actually dust rather than water ingress; my last trip to Morocco involved a lot of very dusty tracks through the forests, not to mention across the desert, and getting the air intake up high is of real benefit here. In addition, you can turn the "scoop" to face rearwards too, keeping dust out of the air intake.

The wading thing is a secondary bonus but what I would say is given we are going over laregly unknown terrain (to an extent), you never know when a bridge might be out, a snorkel could be the difference between making a river crossing and not. I'm not a fan of wading generally; whilst it is fun, I don't think it's particuarly good for the vehicle, but I envisage at least once on our trip it will be a necessity!

Point taken, I just wonder exactly how much dust does get pulled into the filter which of course you can blow out in the evening. Not driven in that much dust myself, but the original fit system can't be that bad surely? I have seen people with the cyclone thing on the top which does seem to have collected dust. Like I say though on river crossings, a standard 80 can cope with a significant depth to start with and as mine is now even higher, snorkel or not, I think I could cross water that's frankly too deep to be safe. They give a vehicle that 'expedition' look but I don't think I shall succumb.

Mike, isn't fitting a snorkel going to detract from your aim of "It will continue to look as standard as possible from the outside (and thus attracting as little attention as possible)" ? Snorkel is a dead give away... not to mention foreign no plates, white faces, RTT, etc etc.

Best bin that idea and go the whole hog like some of us have and properly "bling" up your cruiser boet
:icon-biggrin:

My '95 has a pattern snorkel.

The plastic is fineand has kept it colour.

The weak is in the joints - it comes with a foam O ring wherever two parts join, these are nowhere near waterproof and would need replacing and properly sealing.

I assume you've looked at all the other wading issues first, axle/diff breathers and the like? They need doing first, its a bit like a duck, its not whats above the water that counts :)

I dont want you to think that I'm teaching you to suck eggs, because I have no idea of your driving experience or ability, but I would highly recomend a Water Awareness course (its a defra syllabus), teachs you how to read water from the riverbank. We're putting all of our 4x4response volunteers through the training.

Pete

Chris - to be honest, I have no proof either way, but I do know driving through the cedar forests of Morocco stirs up some really soft, thick dust, which tends to linger around bonnet height. By the time you get to roof height, it's much thinner - so ideally, that's where I want my air intake to be

Olazz - also a good point, but I was more thinking about winches, ARB bumpers, swingaway wheel carriers, etc. Obviously it will be impossible to go completely undercover - the RTT and a snorkel being the obvious exterior changes - but the less desirable and bling I can make it look the better IMO

wobbly - what did you replace the joint seals with? Or just seal it up with some rubberised silicon sealant? Yes, I would also fit axle/diff breathers and run those up the snorkel too. I've done some river crossings previously and, whilst I wouldn't proclaim to be an expert, I would say I have some experience and can read a river reasonably well (I have a boat on the river, so plenty of experience on that, too). But as I said, I don't intend of going wading deliberately, just if the situation necessitates.

Wobbly the 80 series is different completely to the Colorado. There isn't a joint like that. It's all pipe and jub clips. There is a flap valve and cyclone trap in the bottom of the air box though.

Olazz - also a good point, but I was more thinking about winches, ARB bumpers, swingaway wheel carriers, etc. Obviously it will be impossible to go completely undercover - the RTT and a snorkel being the obvious exterior changes - but the less desirable and bling I can make it look the better IMO

The more highly modified the truck, the less likely it is to be stolen as it is far too conspicuous and easy to trace. The trucks that get stolen are STD looking trucks as there is a much greater demand for them, and they blend in more easily. As for being a target for thieves... if in the unlikely event you are targeted on your travels, then it will be because you are in a foreign vehicle and not because you have a winch/bar etc etc. IMHO.

Back