Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow time... It's coming !!!

karl webster said:
Well where i am at hulland we have had four or five inches. I facied a take away and thought shall i take the cruiser or the audi. Went in the audi to test it in the snow. Main roads were covered in same amount of snow. Had a job to say the least getting there and back but was fun. It just reminds you how good these cruisers are as if id have gone in that wouldnt have know there was anything here :D karl
Snow? what snow?

402615_2880892734000_1010513127_32869820_1382544883_n.jpg

Just got back in from my second job of the day went out at 01:00Hrs on to first job then was tasked a second while on my way home from the first. Snow here is a good 4/6" deep with 8/10" drifts and still snowing. The local ambulance trust have removed all of the fast response cars from the road as to many were getting stuck. Fiery has not missed a beat and I think I can now safely say that the KM2's are prety good in the white stuff :thumbup: Of to bed now before my Responder phone goes of again :shifty: :)

Re: Re: Snow time... It's coming !!!

Crispin said:
[quote="karl webster":237xjqzd]Well where i am at hulland we have had four or five inches. I facied a take away and thought shall i take the cruiser or the audi. Went in the audi to test it in the snow. Main roads were covered in same amount of snow. Had a job to say the least getting there and back but was fun. It just reminds you how good these cruisers are as if id have gone in that wouldnt have know there was anything here :D

karl

I've been dragging cars up hills. Amazes me each time.
Audi quatro among them.

If people turn off traction control, they would have less of a problem.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk[/quote:237xjqzd]

Mines the front wheel drive tdi crispin, Your right,with traction off you have hope. Just got to keep them rolling.Its harly flat around us. Only issue i had was on the market place. Next time ill take the tuck :whistle:

karl

Re: Re: Snow time... It's coming !!!

karl webster said:
[quote="Crispin":32onlnta]...
If people turn off traction control, they would have less of a problem.
Mines the front wheel drive tdi crispin, Your right,with traction off you have hope. Just got to keep them rolling....
karl[/quote:32onlnta]
I suppose different traction control systems work differently.
For running errands, I have a small car, a Mondeo 1997 sw, with an active traction control. This system works very well, much better than on some newer cars. I have a steep hill of nearly 1 km up to my house and this old Mondeo always makes it up the hill with no problems - on snow at around, or above, freezing, which is the most slippery; or on ice; whithout studs.
Without the TC on, I would just have one wheel spinning and get nowhere, in the worst cases. And I'm used to driving on snow for 6 months every year; car, truck and bus.

I thought Audi would have a traction control system that actually works.

I had a play in the A8, no drama and I found a few places to make things difficult for it, but no matter how good the 4wd system you need the right tyres for the conditions to get the most out of it.

I found on mine that with the traction control on it droped my power constanly and wouldnt do anything. Maybe it isnt working properly. I expect auto would be better with it than manual anyway.

Karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The A8's are Quattro Karl so mine's 4wd :) It performs a bit smoother than ATRAC on the 100 but similar levels of traction (compared to road tyres on the 100). No diff locks on these newer Quattro systems though so it'll never be as good as a locked vehicle. Considering I have Y rated low profile asymmetric summer tyres on I was impressed it could even crawl up our drive in reverse at a 45 degree angle with no fuss at all :)

The one i have jon is on a x plate a6estate front wheel drive. Running 235/35/19

I Heard the 4x4 ones are good. Have you had much at yours? Getting on your drive and the hill going up to yours is a test in itself really.

karl

You had nothing Chas? Saw a guy in a Lexus out on the road who was tip-toeing around like he was on a motorbike.
Come to our neck of the woods, lots of snow:
[youtube:gg0nsard]fNbUI_-YTuw[/youtube:gg0nsard]

karl webster said:
I Heard the 4x4 ones are good. Have you had much at yours? Getting on your drive and the hill going up to yours is a test in itself really.
Good enough to cope with a bit of snow, awesome at getting the power down the rest of the time :)

Went out for a pub lunch today with some mates today in Surrey. We were in my mates Audi and got a little stuck. We ended up being rescued by a defender. (Oops)

02daea5a-c17c-39bd.jpg

the snow looked good this morning. :thumbup:

P2050001.jpg

but by this afternoon it had almost all melted. :thumbdown:

P2050069.jpg

did manage to have some fun it whilst out laning, but it wasnt as deep as id have liked. :cool:

P2050027.jpg

P2050029.jpg

hope we get some more! :twisted:

dyladams said:
Went out for a pub lunch today with some mates today in Surrey. We were in my mates Audi and got a little stuck. We ended up being rescued by a defender. (Oops)

02daea5a-c17c-39bd.jpg

A quattro on summer tyres by any chance :lol:

I spent "most" of last night out hooning about in the RWD Chaser, on the snowies of course, we did'nt get stuck depsite trying & we spent most of the night laughing, now must get some window wipers on the side windows.....

A chaser is one of them in my profile pic, all be it a standard one

amazed the audi got stuck in that!

saw a volvo X90 or whatever stuck at glenshee ski centre this afternoon, by time i got ski boots off 5 lads had pushed it out, so didnt get chance to recover it...
my lc drove through same snow no issues!
he had rubbish tyres so 4wqd didnt help him

karl webster said:
I can imagine ;) What engines in it?
remapped 4.2TDI (the V8 twin turbo job). Been out on some back lanes visiting friends and all the slush has frozen into ice and it had plenty of grip, on summer tyres as well but you don't feel as invincible as when pottering about in a cruiser. Makes it a lot less boring though :mrgreen:

The wrong tyres will leave anything stranded, including a cruiser. My backup plan was to get some snow socks, can't fit chains with the wheel size I have, I don't know anyone who has tried them though.

We were traveling down a reasonably steep hill when we discovered it was blocked at the bottom forcing us to reverse up the hill. The first vehicle to the rescue was a 30 year old series 3 landy but with some old road tires. It didn't get stuck but could not pull us up the hill.

I must say that it was inspirational that complete strangers were willing to give us a helping hand.

asymmetric summer tyres by any chance? They're even less suited to going backwards in slippery conditions than forwards. What model was the Audi, not all Quattro's are created equal.

dyladams said:
I must say that it was inspirational that complete strangers were willing to give us a helping hand.

I was out on Sat night for a laugh and helping those that were stuck on hills etc. Most are very appreciative, some are just play grumpy.
I find it odd though what knobs some people can be. On two occasions I was helping someone and a disco and a jimmy (I think? Small Suzuki) came past us and either laughed or called us wan*ers. I really was hoping to find them on fire in a ditch somewhere. 10 minutes of your help pulling someone out saves them hours of pushing or walking home.

Back