Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So just how fast will it go then??

My colorado with the 1kzt-e engine on a empty section on the M1, with a little downhill gradient made it to 115 mph quite easily, mostly because of the downhill. On flats she's on 110 and no more. This is with a slight tweak at the pump, and slightly bigger tyres. Interestingly at 115 she was just on 4k on the rev limiter so there may be a little extra more.

You'll be surprised what these things are capable of.

My mates 1989 lj70 converted with a 1kzt, running on 33"'s would regularly do 115 and burn off boy racers! It had a few pump tweeks, must say I did smoke a little!!:icon-biggrin:

I can get to 100 without a problem in the 120 (with the bigger tyres on). After that it slows but was still accelerating at 110 when the, er, private road ran out. Don't recall what the RPM was though.

I would like to have known what the EGT was because it was a very long time with a flat foot.

My mates 1989 lj70 converted with a 1kzt, running on 33"'s would regularly do 115 and burn off boy racers! It had a few pump tweeks, must say I did smoke a little!!:icon-biggrin:

Im not sure id feel safe in mine at 110, if it would go that fast! :shock:

Would like to try though, so need my pump tweaking! :icon-twisted:

The 120 feels quite relaxed and "no drama" at 100 mph, and this with the oversize BFG AT .
100 mph isn't foot flat to the floor in a 120.

Gra.

I've always wondered, just how fast an old 80 might be, mine goes quite well, has a few tweaks to the pump but otherwise its a standard auto 12v JDM car, on 275/75/16's I'd assumed it might have the 118mph speed limiter that most Jap cars have,,,,,it doesn't!!

So on a not especially long bit of deserted private road ;) I tried it

120mph on the GPS I was somewhat impressed :icon-twisted:

My old HZJ80 has 180kph on the speedo. I've only ever managed 130kph in mine which is equivalent to 81 mph.

120mph is equivalent to 200kph.

Am I missing something or is my car grossly deficient? Missing not only 20kph from the numbers on the speedo but also 39mph (70kph) on the road. :icon-confused:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wouldnt like to see how much fuel mine would use flat out so I aint trying, had 110 out of it though with no issues apart from the tyres howling, oh and the fact that I was starting to pull away from my mate in his oil burner 95 series :icon-biggrin:

Had my silver 80 up to 105 when it was about 3 years old ( 'racing' a V8 disco), not seen three figures since.

Andy

The 120 series is not a 90, I expect a 90 series with the D4-d engine not to be as quick, or as fast as the 120 series.

I have the original Toyota Specs, for the diesel 4,2L 100 series, and it does say 203 bhp.
And it does say 111 mph
Also kerb weight is 2610kg.

I believe the late 80 series to be around 178 bhp, the early ones around 164 bhp.
guessing the kerb weight no less than 2500kg, as I don't have an official Toyota spec yet.
I just can't for the life of me understand how an 80 series can do 120 mph.

I feel an early 80 series will max out at around 106 mph
I believe the later 80 series will max out at no more than 112

Perhaps some one has the Toyota engine power specs fro the 12 valve, and the 24 valve.

I would upload the single sheet pdf, but the forum limit is just 19kb and the pdf is 119kb

Gra.

From the 1997 Toyota Amazon brochure (24v 1HD-FT engine):

Power.....168bhp @ 3600rpm
Torque....280lb/ft @ 2200rpm
Kerb weight....2425kgs/5456lbs or 2.4 tons.
Top speed....106mph

Last edited:
have had 100mph out of my 96 1FZ-FE ... feels solid with no rattles or shakes ... i reckon it would quite easily do more ..

saying that at that speed i can watch the fuel gauge go down quite quick ...

Not really tried for a top speed, I'd say I've had it up around 90mph.
You should try some Highland roads !

Back