Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So whaddya reckon this weighs then?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Getting to the point where I want to try and get the shell off the chassis. Been stripping like crazy. Garden looks like Steptoe's yard. Not all scrap of course.

Might have to jack it here and there and put block in and then go again in stages if you get me. No fork lift available and no big oak tree overhead!

P1000307.jpg

P1000308.jpg

P1000306.jpg

I must say that the suspension has come up a considerable way without all that weight on it. None of the parts are that heavy on their own, but combined it's a good deal.

There will be the odd cable and pipe still clipped to the body, but I can address those as I go along I guess. OK I could cut the roof off to lighten it and drop the wings, but it'd be handy if I can just tip it off with the help of a couple of thick lads. Thick, by the way is a compliment around these parts. It mean strong. And thick. :whistle:

Anyone need any bits speak now as they say.

Chris

It still makes me wince seeing him like that... :(

I think I'd be 'jacking & blocking' to make sure its all free before attempting a lift - if I were closer, I'd be there to lend a hand buddy...

It will be sodding heavy!

I dismantled completely a subaru forester last summer
removed everything from it (transmission, subframes, all internals, every pipe, boot, doors, engine, every last bolt) - and i could still barely move the bodyshell
I ended up chopping it into about 8 peices with angle grinder and reciprocating saw (much faster than angle grinder) and even then some of those bits were very heavy.

If it's any consolation Gav, it's brings a tear to my eye every time I undo a nut and bolt. I keep patting the wing and saying 'Sorry'.

Got boxes full of fittings and brackets and stuff. Need to build a new stores to put it all in. The underside of the still un-named silver one is nowhere near as good as the white one. Needs a good coat in old engine oil I reckon.

Chris

here is how many peices i copped the Fozzie into

bitsoftheredsubaru.jpg

and lots of bits in garage, got zillions of spare bolts and metal bracketry now.

theinnardsofthesubaru.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
If it's any consolation Gav, it's brings a tear to my eye every time I undo a nut and bolt. I keep patting the wing and saying 'Sorry'.
Oh man, in bits here... :(

However, on getting the body off, have the insurers stipulated how they want the body shell back or is that old news & not an issue? Can you lop it up into pieces?

do you not know any local farmers with a Manitu

Hmm I think that's going to be heavy - maybe more than a couple of the thickest lads can manage. I'd think it'll be a few hundred kgs and not very wieldy either. Jon had his 80 down to the shell and weighed it in, so ask him for an estimate of weight :idea:

I presume you're going to harvest the entire drivetrain - halfshafts, CVs, propshafts etc? Nice lot of spares you're going to end up with, albeit via a sad route...

If I was a bit closer I'd gladly assist with the lifting. What are you going to do with the shell when it's off? Leave it where it's dropped until the insurers come to reclaim it?

I was speaking to three little men in the woods earlier & they think a Nine inch angle grinder would make light of it. :lol:

Cheers boys.

Nick, not doing anything til weekend now.
Cp I doubt that it would be a few hundred kilos. Heavy sure, but when you look how complex a door is with glass and impact bar, I can lift one single handed - ie with one hand. This is just pressed and welded sheet. 1mm stuff really. Well I shall get the thing up and they see. I am harvesting every bit I can. Trust me. Only bit I don't need is chassis and rear axle to be honest. Need to find a home for that. I shall swap the whole TC, AT and Transfer together. That will leave a spare TC and Transfer unless someone wants to try and recon a box!!

All insurers have said is:

We await confirmation of parts taken off in order to collect salvage.

On the phone, the little prick said 'We want the body shell back" In the end, having said nothing about paying, they charged me £250 for the salvage. I figure then it's completely mine isn't it? But if they are willing to fetch the scrap off my drive then fine. No problem to me. I just want to make sure that there is nothing else lying around for them to whip when I'm not looking.
I don't know any farmers. Never mind one with expensive farm machinery.

C

Can I have the roof section then Chris?? Cover for my Sankey?? :D

Don't be such a twonk Gav. White would look ridiculous. You need the roof off a green one.

Chris

Chris what about a winch? I know yours got BBQ'd but if you did lay your hands on one you could wrap a couple of straps around the body and tip it. Obviously I am not recommending that you do any lifting with your winch as that would be dangerous, tipping is not lifting. You might need anchor the side of the car your tipping it onto, just a thought.

Rob, already bought new winch. Plus I have one on my quad as well. Got a tree that I can anchor to. Have thought of this already. It might help to slide if over once I get it up a bit. Figured that I would put some planks under the body to let me slide it to the side until it drops. When it's off, I might make a quick frame over the chassis and use the same method to lower the AT to the ground. Not so crucial that. I can lower the chassis and then drop the trannie using the jack.

I have had the offer of a hoist which is great, but I can also hire one locally for the weekend for a reasonable price too.

Chris

You know im only a text away chris. I will need as much notice as poss tho. Nights better for me as weekends always busy. Nights i can usually juggle it it. I used to use my engine crane before i had my forlift. That would make easy work mate as used to do it completely on me own. Bit of experience and its a doddle?

Let me know mate :thumbup:

Cheers Karl. I shall get some prep done this weekend and if it needs to be later in the week in an evening then we could get a few together. Maybe with you, me Nick and my neighbour, we have enough manpower with the right application. Got the quad too as I said. There are ways and means.

Chris

OH :!: Painfull :(

We've all been there @ some point though :)

Best way is in small managable bits :thumbup: Something like this;

P8080049.jpg

P8140083.jpg

P8190065.jpg

P8260010.jpg

P8260012.jpg

P8260014.jpg

P8260016.jpg

P8270036.jpg

P8270067.jpg

P9170028.jpg

P9170034.jpg

And then it's all gone :evil: Apart from the bits that are left & in the shed :p

Back