Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Something new on the driveway (but only two wheels this time)

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Decided to have a play off road with two wheels this time so have a used BMW R1150GS.

Needs a few tweaks and tarting up but the price was great.

gc4649466112543439632_zps47c33ef6.jpg

gc5000984301017948874_zpsf76dd730.jpg

Not sure that's the tool I'd have chosen for off piste work unless it's easy routes, or your surname is Pavey or Peterhansel. It's a lot of weight to be heaving around/picking up off the floor.

Ahhh - the Green Oval of 'Adventure' bikes. Got a tame dealer near you??

Lots and lots of people muttering about BMW = Bring Mechanic With :) and some horrific stories of failure and breakages a long way from home. Whether that's because those are the most common bikes so the stats have a bigger population or because the owners have spent a LOT of money and so are more vociferous is moot I guess - a lot of quasi-evidence suggests there may be quality issues :) either in build or components.

But I'd still have one - more the new water-cooled tourer I think :)

But the Super 10 has my sights at the moment - even though there is nothing wrong with my V-STROM :)

Toys, eh?

There does seem to be a love them or hate them attitude with these BMW's, quite interesting.

I have researched things quite carefully and like most things it does come down to a personal choice as there are pros and cons, I have always liked the idea of these (absolutely nothing to do with Ewan and Charlie) and the alternatives out here are massive money. I really like the idea that they shouldn't be as good as they are but they are.

This one is from a failed overland expedition start so has some very good tricks done to it that seem to be top of most lists on the better overland forums, I just need to give it a major service but it is really good to go right now. I plan some camping trips and exploring but nothing hardcore.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can see where Gary's coming from. 2 years on a GS12 Adventure, I loved it but it let me down twice (fuel pump, immobiliser), the rear shock collapsed, the brakes were useless and the front engine cover turned to dust before my eyes. So I turned to the Italians for that paragon of reliability, a Ducati. :laughing-rolling:

3.5 years on there's been a couple of little niggles along the way but it's still not put a foot wrong.

Last edited:
Had my 1100GS for 15 years now from new, no issues at all.

Done nothing other than routine maintenance + 2 rear wheel bearings in 70k miles.

Should be getting a new 1200GS LC sometime this year :thumbup:

Fingers crossed you get a good'un. Coming from an 1100 it'll have a high marker to meet.

Had my 1100GS for 15 years now from new, no issues at all.

Done nothing other than routine maintenance + 2 rear wheel bearings in 70k miles.

Wow Paul - think we have different ideas on things going wrong - I'd class 2 wheel bearings on the same wheel in 70k miles a problem :). Hopefully it was age vs wear related.

Good luck with the new one - they do look nice!

Wow Paul - think we have different ideas on things going wrong - I'd class 2 wheel bearings on the same wheel in 70k miles a problem....
Rear wheel bearings on the 1100/1150 tend to last around 40,000 miles.... I treat them as service items :icon-smile:

I dont think 40 000 miles for a wheel bearing is that bad on something thats as hard wearing as o off road bike. motorx change after every race. I know its not as stressed but still i bet its been jet washed a few times as well.
stu

I toyed with the idea of one of these after deciding I needed something more toury and long-distance-capable than a full on race rep like the 1198 so I did some homework. Wouldn't go near one now. Very disappointed.
As for off road, depends what you mean by 'off road'. Anything other than green laning it'll be a real handful. Picking it up after a fall or pulling out of a peat bog or mud hole when it's buried up to the seat, that's when the fun starts. Not. I regularly ride off road on a 570 Husaberg which is considered big as enduro bikes go and but the Beemer makes it look anorexic.

.... I know its not as stressed but still i bet its been jet washed a few times as well.
The rear wheel bearing is also the bevel box bearing, as such it sits behind an oil seal.... so is well out of the way of any water.

I toyed with the idea of one of these .... so I did some homework. Wouldn't go near one now. Very disappointed.
Look hard enough and long enough and you will find horror stories about almost every bike out there.... usually from experts who have never owned one :icon-wink:

The big GS is popular and there are a lot out there, yes there are few disgruntled owners but.... the majority are happy owners.

As for off road, depends what you mean by 'off road'. Anything other than green laning it'll be a real handful. Picking it up after a fall or pulling out of a peat bog or mud hole when it's buried up to the seat, that's when the fun starts. Not. I regularly ride off road on a 570 Husaberg which is considered big as enduro bikes go and but the Beemer makes it look anorexic.
I think you may be a little confuse as to what the Boxer Twin GS is all about :think: it's an adventure tourer.

Comparing it to the likes of a Husaberg is... well foolhardy to say the least :doh: They are two entirely different bikes and serve two entirely different purposes. Try an 800 mile day in the saddle of your Berg :icon-biggrin:

I think you may be a little confuse as to what the Boxer Twin GS is all about :think: it's an adventure tourer.

Comparing it to the likes of a Husaberg is... well foolhardy to say the least :doh: They are two entirely different bikes and serve two entirely different purposes. Try an 800 mile day in the saddle of your Berg :icon-biggrin:

Nope, not confused in the least. I know exactly what they're about. The OP mentioned 'having a play off road' which makes the Husa comparison perfectly valid. I was contemplating one as a long distance road tourer which probably 99% of all those sold in the UK are used for. In the end I went the ZZR1400 route. OK, green lanes are out but for pure long distance road use it's light years ahead of the GS IMO and yes, 800mile days no problem, done a few of them.

Over the years i've decided there are 2 types of bike regardless of make or model - theres the bike built on monday when everyone had a hangover or theres a bike built on friday when everyones looking forward to spending their wages over the weekend . Seriously more by accident than design i always seemed to end up with pairs of bikes , same model same year etc but as sods law dictates the scruffiest always proved reliable while the smart looking one always gave grief .

.... theres the bike built on monday when everyone had a hangover or theres a bike built on friday when everyones looking forward to spending their wages over the weekend....
So what do you recon, Monday or Friday? :)

Nowadays, it's rarely the men and ladies of the production line that cause the problems, it's the people at the drawing boards. Two of the problems I had with my GSA were down to shonky design decisions.

Back