Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sometimes all you can really say is BO***CKS!

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Put a new transfer case in yesterday. All went well but the CDL light wouldn't come on. Now I have been there before so I knew what to look for. It fires and locks but as the light doesn't come on, the front and rear lockers won't fire up. No worries I have loads of spare detent switches and a 27mm socket. I might even be able to clean it up and get it going. Now out of the three switches, which is the CDL detector? Hmmm, ahhh, let me see now ...

BOLLOCKS.

Of course it's the one right at the front of the case tight up against the tunnel. Not a prayer in Hades of getting that out. Well I wasn't going to take the effin box out again,. No Sir. I thought about cutting a hole in the floor. No. I bent a spanner to try and loosen it. Nah. So I lay on my back for half an hour cursing, then came up with this.

I dropped the cross member and front prop, drained the oil and unbolted the whole front extension housing. Only one bolt put up a fight so I hit it with a 6 sided socket and the Milwaukee.

Sorted.

Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 17.15.25.jpg

Came apart easily. No oil in there either so it clearly drains well. Swapped the switch over and popped it back on.

Now, for those contemplating this to change a front seal, here's a couple of tips. Lock the CDL first. It stops the locking clutch from dropping down. You can lock it later but this is better. When putting it back, you have to get the clutch fork shaft to line up with the hole in the end of the housing AND get the detent ball past the end of the shaft too. This requires patience and a little wiggling. Do not hit it. If it won't go on, don't panic. Just keep wiggling. Try locking and unlocking the CDL too. You will have to turn the companion flange to line up the gear on the output shaft with the locking clutch of course but what you may find is that the housing doesn't quite go on by about 5mm. Wiggle and jiggle and you will be rewarded. Put all the bolts in and work round them in a pattern to pull it on square. Don't forget a bit of RTV sealant too.

All good. Working perfectly. Oh and put the oil back in too!!

Where there is a will eh Chris? Nice one, I did put a MM over mine before fitting but a bit late to remind you to do this......er....sorry. :(

regards

Dave

And Dave, if I had been thinking straight, I'd have just swapped all of the working switches over from the old box as a matter of course. I wouldn't have bothered to test them, just swap them. And if I'd have thought too, I'd have tried to the the flippin' filler plug out whilst it was on the bench.

Hence Oh B*******

Ah well, look on the bright side...................I had my feet up all day on the terrace topping up my tan. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Dave, you know what they say...

B******s

Ha ha

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done Chris, you may be losing your marbles with old age marching on, but you haven't lost your patience or stamina.

Keep it up...:lol:

This is better than watching the cricket..... :icon-biggrin:

This is better than watching the cricket..... :icon-biggrin:

Cricket is a game for gentlemen played by gentlemen,
Football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans,
Rugby Union is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen,
And Rugby League is a game for hooligans played by hooligans.

My pleasure.jpg

Please excuse the hijack.

He lost me at 'cricket'

What's that then?

Dave, you know what they say...

B******s

Ha ha

Me and my big mouth! :oops: Yesterday afternoon a mega storm blew in from the sea, thunder, lightening, hail, rain, wrath of God etc. You must have friends in high places Chris. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

I would rather have been doing that then taking 6 hours to get to Reading!! I think people forget how to drive when the weather turns a bit!

Have to agree to that Gary, drove an 8 legger for a number of years, the amount of people you see who drive so badly in fog/rain and have little respect for other peoples lives including their own.

regards

Dave

Back