Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Split charging system and winches

78x102x110 for the 400 amp one. I'd be happy with that. Not sure about the tailoring bit though Paul. Any further advice on that? Not an elctrical engineer you see. Red to red, black to black is about my limit.

Chris

Even though I don't need one... I WANT one. That does look like a impressive bit of kit

No you don't. Yours is sorted Tony. Your rear battery is a trickle charger - well 4 amps or so and it's never had any difficulty in keeping the LB topped up but it's a different set up on the new vehicle. This 24v start thing is not necessarily that helpful. Moral is, I think, don't be tight on main batteries on an auto 80. Three years in, change them. If the main battery goes down you could boost from this system, but if the aux starter battery goes, it's a different matter I would think. You still only get 12v when you boost, yes a lot more amps but not at 24v.

I just want to get it in and get on!

Chris

i like the look of that,

1/2 price of the IBS system, and only lacking the led display on dash

has link function too, which can be activated by a remote switch

Is one of you making an offer on this? I just put an offer in and someone is competing.

If successful, I will publish the price to anyone interested. I have bid for two by the way.

Chris

no - I have not put an offer in yet,
but would be keen to know the price

dont understand this aspect "An auxiliary micro switch is available for remote monitoring."

guess it is just a link to an LED on the dash, to tell you whether the relay is linking the batteries or not

i am sure remote battery charge status indicators could be bought separately quite cheaply to complement this system - if the user wanted that

but this is the first decent rated relay, with charge sensing i have seen
the other options have much lower AMP ratings and dont have the option of manaual linking, either the 30 seconds option or the user timed option via an on dash on/off switch - that this one has

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
one thing i do wonder, is it durable enough to mount it under the bonnet? there seems to be a lot of exposed connectors

Not sure if it actually comes with a cover Rob. I read in the instructions somewhere a reference to removing the cover.
I'd have mine inside I think. Or I would make a box up for it and seal it.

Chris.

problem with putting it in car, well if you are linking the batteries for winching and jump-starting, is all that extra wire involved

the 4 different profile options have left me baffled too!

Well I have to run the wires from the main battery to the aux battery, so I can put the unit anywhere along the cable. I'd have it next to the aux battery. It doesn't have to be next to the main battery. In effect you only need one cable - the positive. But I don't like using the chassis as a return, so I'd have the neg cable running alongside going straight to the neg terminal on the main batt. As they are 50mm cables the current can flow either way via the unit. So there wouldn't be any more cable wherever you put it. OK there may e some control wires, but they are low tension stuff. But I appreciate that you are looking at batt number 2 under the bonnet so this might not be the one for you.

Chris

Well I seem to be the proud owner of two of these. Offer accepted.

OK sealed bids to .....

Chris

ditto - put in same unit price offer as Chris (but for one only) and suprised to see an email this morning saying I have bought it!
I had looked at the retail price too - over £200

even though the fact the unit isn't sealed perfectly, and i will most likely be putting it in the engine bay, so will make a box,
its worth it, as its a bargain! and a big saving on the IBS system i was considering,
but i already have cable and switches anyway for adding a cab-operated manual over-ride linking etc for jump start/winching. and some 275 AMP MEGA fuses and holder. which are other things you get with the IBS
will have to do something about lack of "flashy lights" though!

received mine this morning, looks like there is a microswitch on the side which you can wire up to a couple of LEDs to tell you if the relay is engaged or not. very happy with it, all the important electrics are house in the black box on the front but its not water proof so would still mount it inside a box

{CP edit: changed "revived " to "received " on request}

Yep, look pretty good. No chance of contacts burning out.

Just a reminder folks, I have a spare one of these now.

Chris

Got mine too - looks like it will do the business
and I think i will go down the approach of putting it in a waterproof box, or seeing if I have enough 50mm cable to allow me to fit inside vehicle.

will see if i have any LED around that I can wire it into - via the microswitch

All quite straight forward really. I may stick a couple of indicator LEDs on the dash somewhere next to the override switch. Am I correct in reading that if you used a press to make switch it will engage for 30 secs but if you use a latching switch it is happy to stay engaged for the duration? I may go for one latching and press it twice for the 30 second boost and once to keep it in. Can't really see me needing this function but HEY!!!!

Chris

"Am I correct in reading that if you used a press to make switch it will engage for 30 secs but if you use a latching switch it is happy to stay engaged for the duration?"

that is how i read it too.
I will be fitting a latching on-off switch, rather than a push switch, as i have a spare "missle" firing switch covers - the ones with a cover you have to lift, before switching it on,
so harder to knock it on, and obvious when you do as the whole cover comes up.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37319

Had a row of those in Lil Blue.

I guess then that if you over ride it, it will still take 30 secs to disengage once you click the switch off? Who knows. It may sense that it has been over ridden for some time and disconnect immediately.

On the other side to the micro switch there is a tab with two holes in, on threaded. Any guesses what these could be used for? Not just what were they intended for, but what other use could you think of for them.

Chris

Back