Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Split charging system and winches

Chris said:
On the other side to the micro switch there is a tab with two holes in, on threaded. Any guesses what these could be used for? Not just what were they intended for, but what other use could you think of for them.

another microswitch? or are you thinking of something more clever ?

what did you have the row of missle switched on lil blue for? anti-caravan counter measures :lol:

No. Missiles of course, what else?

Actually it was lights.

Well not sure Andy. Some sort of trigger for something else perhaps, or another indicator. Maybe some 12v sockets that only go live when the relay closes?

Chris

Wired up the system in the car

it engaged after about 20 seconds of the engine running to link batteries
after engine off it took about 5mins to disengage I was running an angle grinder off inverter to drop the voltage (which is expected from the default profile - it only disconnects batterys after certain time period depending on voltage)

i also added a start assist switch, turned on momentarily and the unit linked, but stayed link for a lot longer than 30 seconds....

need to figure out which profile i want to use. i dont see benefit of leaving the batteries connected for 5-10mins after engine turned off, which is what happens with the default profile

Right, if you can just sort all of this out in time for me fitting mine, it would be handy. So, never mind posting, crack on Boyo. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What csa cable did you use? OK someone will do the clever calculations but in terms of charging and the occasional opposite flow for a minute..? Is it likely that the whole CCA will be drawn from the battery if linked? The relay is only rated for 400.

I am not an electrical engineer (no, really?) but basic principles must apply. I'm not being cavalier about this - but I am not wiring up the national grid here. Just a spare battery.

Chris

will do!
I need to monitor the AUX battery 2 when fully charged to see what its voltage is and what the alternator kicks out, before deciding on a profile.

I have a 275AMP mega fuse in the system, and that would blow before the relay melts,
it didn't last night, I am sure the CCA applies to load being drawn, must be different to passive flow - but hey, I am not an electrical engineer either!

I have used 50mm2 for the positive cable connections, same as I will be using for the winch. I didn't have quite enough of that cable (so for connecting the two battery negative I used two parallel runs of 25mm2 cable
I have mounted the unit on the bulkhead/firewall in engine bay, just in front of driver, in a space between wing and brake booster/master cylinder.
I riveted a L plate to the firewall, then mounted the unit in a plastic tub bolted to this (need to find a better tub, current one is round, and want a square one, as it is a pig to access the connectors and bolts to remove/install it - or shrink my hands!)

The profile I might reset the unit to is: Profile 2

only connects the 2 batteries if voltage of main battery is more than 13.2v

(on default setting this is 13v connects 10mins, 13.2v connects after 5mins, 13.4v connects after 3min, etc, mine connected within a few secs, so must have reached 13.8v)

profile 2, disconnect mode:

if both battery's combined stay above 12.8v, then they stay connected.
when the combined battery voltage drops below 12.8v they disconnect after 30secs
if voltage less than 10.5v they disconnect immediately.

default profile has 6 disconnect conditions and timings. my batterys voltage was around 12.7v, so on default this meant a 4 minute delay before disconnecting, but i accelerated this to a different disconnect "slot" by dropping the voltage by running an angle grinder off the inverter.

Yes, I figured setting 2 or possibly 1. I may put the unit inside next to the leisure battery. It has to go somewhere and I can't see that it makes a huge difference which end it goes at in our application. But I may go with a slightly lesser cable. I don't really have a massive requirement for a LB but I am fitting one because I CAN.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nipped out to check voltages

Starter Battery 1: 90AH 700CCA unit (2-3yrs old)
AUX Battery 2: 96AH 900CCA unit (new) Numax CXV27MF Sealed Leisure battery (Deep-cycle & Starting)

Before starting engine,

Starter Battery 1 = 12.5v
AUX Battery 2 = 12.81v

Start Engine, both batterys linked in about 4 seconds when the relay activated.
Both now record 14.31v being fed by alternator

Switch engine off, check both batterys = 12.83v (they are linked)
had car door open etc, so voltage was dropping slowly.
After 6 mins they were still connected, voltage now 12.7v
came back just after 10mins and the relay had disconnected them (which is according with Profile 0 (default) i..e disconnect after 10mins if voltage between 12.4v and 12.8v,
I imagine it was delayed by moment, because voltage was 12.83v on engine shutdown, which is slightly higher than the 12.8v stay-connected permanently of the system (all profiles but profile1(12.75v), if voltage more than 12.8v the relayed remains closed).

now
Starter Battery 1 = 12.63v
AUX Battery 2 = 12.73v

So after all that waffle... :oops:

I don't like the fact that the AUX Battery 2 is draining into the Starter Battery 1 for 10 mins after engine shutdown, as long term not so good for the battery.

I think profile 2 will be best for my system.
It should link the batterys quite quickly after starting, 6 seconds after 13.2v
and disconnect in 30secs when voltage drops into 10.5-12.8v range.

will get a red and a green LED later on today, and wire that up at some point to the micro-switch.

Chris -I am running 25mm2 cable from AUX battery2/LB to inverter in the back of car,
but in my system, because i may use it for start assist or extra winch power I used 50mm2 for the relay system/battery linking.
but with your system, as you say, you wont have massive power draws, it would probably be overkill to use 50mm2

That's handy, Andy.

C

I have looked at the paperwork with the Cyrix solenoid and I'd agree that profile 2 looks the most usable and least likely to drain the starter (the whole point) though it shouldn't drain that quickly anyway. Certainly the least complex!

How are you dealing with the 24v start issue? Are you only connecting the primary (dvr's) side battery on to the Cyrix and ignoring the change-over relay?

I changed it to profile 2 the other night and works well.

Means if you stop the engine briefly for a few minutes e.g. stopping to get fuel,
when you come to restart the engine (if longer than a 30sec break), it will definitely only start from the main battery, not main and 2nd in parallel
which was my main concern = starting off the 2nd LB if you only shutdown the engine for a few minutes
on default profile "0", if you restarted engine within 5-10mins, it would usually crank off both batterys - yes my starter motor sounded more lively!, but i don't want to be cranking off the 2nd battery frequently

I have wired up two indicator lights now into the micro-switch, which show me if the relay is engaged or not engaged

Chris will have to add input on the 24v Q, Colorado's run on 12v starter system

Hi all

did anyone get 2 in the post by mistake - turns out the seller thinks he sent mine out with another order which is why i have yet to receive mine?

if you have can you send it on to me - i'll cover postage.

cheers
a

The one i received had your address label under my address label so dont know if the mistake is there somehow.

I take it you mean the 400a relay from the guy on ebay.

that'll be it then.

sold out and still took the money, back on to him now - thanks paul

Adrian,
Chris bought 2 I believe and may be willing to aprt with one. If you can get a refund from the seller and talk nicely to Chris, then maybe you will come right :mrgreen:

Chris said:
Well I seem to be the proud owner of two of these. Offer accepted.

OK sealed bids to .....

Hi Andrew

I sent him and email earlier and being the gentleman he is I am now sorted. Big thanks Chris, and to you Andrew for the thought.

Yep, cheers Andrew. Nice one. Great weekend. Thanks for the company.

Chris

Back