Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

spotlight wiring: 120 specific!

fast but dim

help!

before i start i've used the search, google, and phoned a mate with a garage :sick:

I've wired spots before, using a relay no hassle, but i'm currently trying to wire a set of lightforces into my main beam on the 120.

i can't find a switched live from the main beams! I've got a redundant plug from a hid conversion, from what i can deduce there are two lives, and a switched earth?

I'm well and truly stumped, can anyone help out, preferably with a wiring diagram?

I'm doubly fed up, cos i've spent ages soldering the loom, and i'm going on holiday tomorrow, and want the spots for showing off on the campsite.

cheers Ian.

Each head uses H4 lamps, with is a twin filament lamp in a single tube. Low beam uses one and main beam the other and they use a common earth (ground) wire. You should be able to pick up a realy feed from one of the main beam switch wires; the lamp holder has only 3 wires into it and one of them is ground. Therefore you have only a 50% chance of getting it wrong! There is a relay(s) in the fuse box near the front N/S corner that does the switching from the stalk on the dash. Can't be too tricky to resolve :thumbup:

You can get a male plug that connects directly into the triple H4 socket. So you'd unplug the bulb, stick this in, then connect the other end on a female plug back onto your lights. This would give you extra wire to play with and make connections to. The genuine loom is incredibly thin and if you start chopping into that you'll be headed for disaster. I plan to make a loom up for my 80 where I take the High/ Low signals from the lamp socket, but using relays, fire 'better electricity' into the bulbs straight from the battery. The 80 lights are a bit poor and you can't really put higher wattage lamps in because you just end up frying the lamp holders and cable. ARB make one, but it's over £100. I have done a basic mock up with a flying lead and there is a very definite increase in brightness when you direct to the battery with a thicker cable.

So I'd suggest getting a male H4 plug and leave your original loom intact.

Chris

ta: the male h4 plug is a great idea.i'll have another look. won't be done in time for my trip though :(

right, the h4 male plug has arrived.

i have 3 wires:

an earth

a live that comes on with headlights

a live that comes on with headlights, and goes off when i switch on main beam.

basically whne wired via a relay my spots are on whenever i turn the headlights on, but go off when i flash the mains. Unless someone can come to my rescue I'll have to call an auto electrician.

Why would you want it that way round though? Why not connect the relay to the side lights? They stay unaffected when you put your brights on.
It's normal for the dims to turn off when the brights are on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
obviously we've got our wires crossed :lol:

i want the spots to come on with the main beam.

i cannot find a switched live feed from the main beam for the relay. there are two lives when the lights are on 'normal', one of which goes off when i switch to main beam. i am well and truly stumped.

On my Colorado the headlights work by switching the earths on and off as required. Toyota feed a live into the bulb and use whichever earth to turn on dip or main beam. On my KZJ95 the pin on the headlamp connector that sits at 90 degrees to the other two pins is the earth that turns on main beam. I connected into this and ran the wire up to the relay and then to earth. Try that and see if that sorts your problem. This system caused me a few probs when I fitted an H I D kit until I switched the relay wires in the HID relay around . Now works perfect

:thumbup:
lights are fitted and working. I'd like to say i've done it, but a mobil auto electrician did it for me in about an hour for £30. considering I've spent 3 hrs trying, and easily as many hours researching how to do it, plus i spent £10 on wire etc that he binned maybe i should've got a pro to do it in the first place :sick:

At least i had a go! on the down side i'm not sure if i like the look of them. too late now, i've drilled 2 9mm holes in my bumper.

good stuff. Better to have tried and failed an' all that...

pics? :whistle:

Back