Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sprucing up body cladding

Toybota

Country Flag
uk
Hi all – got a decent 1996 LC, good overall condition but looking to spruce it up a bit. Already done the badly faded front grille in satin black and it looks 100% better. Rear tow-bar structure will be getting similar treatment.

Next up is the lower grey cladding. Nothing major that a bit of wet’n’dry and paint won’t cure but a few corner scuffs and scratches, etc.

Originally was going to paint in situ in same/similar colour so 100% perfect masking not critical per se but now thinking of removing wheelarches or at very least releasing them away from the body to enable better painting.

What is driving this is looking to replace the ‘beading’ that sits between the arches and the body with something slightly thicker. Can’t see how the arches come off, no visible fixings underneath with just a quick look? Presume plenty of clips behind them that will need replacing but is it a case of ‘grab and pull’ or is it more sophisticated than that?

Reason to replace beading is that there is a fine line of corrosion on the paint at the edge of them, nothing major, almost like a ‘scribed line’ like the beading has rubbed the paint and yet I imagine the beading is there to stop that?

Just want to address the corrosion and maybe paint brush body colour over it. With standard beading would be fine but thicker would cover it over also. I’m over-egging it with use of word ‘corrosion’, it really isn’t more than a line through the paint following the curve of the beading edge.

Andy help/advice appreciated - thanks

Likelihood is some buggers had them off already and used a stanley knife to remove the trim gaskets (what Toyota calls the draft excluder) . I've never removed the door trim myself but the arches are held on mostly with bolts , you will have to get underneath to see them , iirc i had to unbolt the rear bumper and let it hang loose to get to some of the rear arch bolts . Besides that there are little plastic clips holding the trim flush but with the bolts removed you can pull it off . Your almost certain to break a few clips but replacements are less than a quid each from Simon Holton . Search the forum for "Bodge of the day" to find the part number .

bloke on ebay selling lengths of black rubber strip that looks similar to the strips around the arch on our old 53 plate hilux vx.

im gonna get a bit cos i rekon it will look better than the warped and ever so slightly knackered ones on my collie arches.

collie trim strips seem to rub the paint off the panels, unlike the hilux

hes in australia. where ever that is...

Back