Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering stop adjustment

Doodle

Garage
Is there any ability to tweak the steering stops on a 100? I'm hoping to reduce the lock available as the front tyres are hitting the remote reservoirs for the Fox shocks on full lock (I suspect the knobbly Hankook MTs aren't helping here either).

AFAIR they are adjustable. Just a little bolt with a locknut.

Are you able to move the reservoir around at all? If it's touching on full lock currently then it is likely it will touch on full lock and with some articulation even if the limit is adjusted.

I'll have a look at moving them but I'm not sure there's anywhere else for them to go - at the moment they're bolted to the front chassis rail as per this pic on ih8mud.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=528807&stc=1&d=1307736563

I see Ryan fastened his to the shock body but I'm not sure that's possible with the IFS front end.

It seems it's only the left hand side that's causing the problem, the right side looks unmarked but I've yet to physically check the clearance.

Last edited:
Also, I'm up in Darley Dale in a couple of weeks time so I can talk to Milners about it, as I'd like to put the shocks through a refresh and clean up the reservoirs.

Out of curiosity ... how do the shocks ride?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nicely indeed, it's smooth and well controlled. Rear springs are a bit hard for unloaded running but there are options to sort that. One of the concerns I had before purchase was that it wasn't going to be anywhere near as cosseting as the AHC/Skyhook setup but actually it's pretty close.

I'll have a look at moving them but I'm not sure there's anywhere else for them to go - at the moment they're bolted to the front chassis rail as per this pic on ih8mud.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=528807&stc=1&d=1307736563

I see Ryan fastened his to the shock body but I'm not sure that's possible with the IFS front end.

It seems it's only the left hand side that's causing the problem, the right side looks unmarked but I've yet to physically check the clearance.

Don't they look the business!! I like them especially if they perform as well as reported. Surely the reservoirs could be positioned anywhere within reach of the hoses? Do they need to be horizontal, or below the hose/damper connection?

Fairly sure that's correct, Clive. My bikes have had them at all sorts of angles - nitrogen pressure keeps everything in check.

Fairly sure that's correct, Clive. My bikes have had them at all sorts of angles - nitrogen pressure keeps everything in check.

What then would be stopping relocating them, say vertically against the top wishbone, in other words central to the steering pivot and away from a marauding tyre on lock, altogether?

Lack of space from the looks of things, but I'll have the wheel off soon and offer it up. Interestingly, the other side is clear by a good hand-thickness (and I have big hands) so more investigation is clearly required.

If you can mount it in a similar way the unit will out of the direct line of attack from stones, mud and salt spray which would be beneficial. Really, they're too pretty to put under a car!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Bit late for that :lol:

I need to get the reservoirs refurbed (possibly powdercoated) when I have the shocks serviced, they're a bit rusty.

Bit late for that :lol:

I need to get the reservoirs refurbed (possibly powdercoated) when I have the shocks serviced, they're a bit rusty.

Now you disappoint me, I thought those cans and casings were alloy! :shock:

Are you saying that they're all steel? Would have hoped they were stainless at the least :?

The shocks themselves are fine as they're alloy, but the reservoirs are apparently low carbon DOM steel. I think if you can get some protection on from the beginning it'd be ok.

Back