Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stock Speakers

fridayman

Garage
Does the stock audio system in a 1999 Colorado LWB include a sub of some sort? Every now and then I am surprised by the amount of bass produced - more than I would expect from just door speakers.

I want to try and install a discrete sub somewhere, or upgrade if there is already one fitted somewhere.

My 96 prado doesn't have std sub. so I fitted one that goes under the passanger seat coupled up with Fli speakers, now sounds good IMO anyway !

No,

All you have are the 4 door speakers which as you say make a really good noise. I will just say that when you buy your wooffer that you get it on a trial basis as I found that the stock speakers are very good and the addition of a wooffer was.....well not worth it and the space was used for something more worthy.

Steve

I think I might put the sub on hold and first install the pair of Polk 3-way 6x9's that I have. I'll stick them in the rear doors and then look for a decent pair of 6.5's to go in the front - just can't decide between component or 2-way coax's..?

Does anyone know anything about Pyle speakers? Any good?

I think Chris menthioned this before, but changing the speakers did not gain him much. Changing the stock head unit for a better one will probably make more of a difference. I added a 4 way amp being driven off the carputer and I have to say the speakers do sound pretty good......

I run all my audio through my galaxy tab then through a 16 quisd amp from ebay. I am a professional mobile DJ and I know when music sounds good (also work as a sound engineer for 2 tribute bands). I would say that the sound with stock speakers and this setup is beautifully rich and deep, with plenty of bass.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There seem to be mixed opinions on whether it is worth changing the speakers. It probably alos depends a lot on what they stockers are being replaced with. I already have an Alpine hu installed (with imprint box), so just looking to see if I can get some slightly better sound without breaking the bank. I'm going to try a pair of Infinity coax's in the front and the Polk's in the back and see what it sounds like. I am curious to see how 2 ohm speakers in front, will work with 4 ohm units in the back...

Well I fitted some Infinity 6532i 2-way coaxials in the front and I am very pleased with the result. So pleased that I have just ordered another set to go in the back. They have a very tight bass (compared to the stock speakers) and with the tweeters set to 0db (rather than +3db) the sound is crystal clear with no screeching or hissing.

Fitting is very simple and I re-used the standard speaker mount (with wiring plug). The job took no more than an hour.

out of interest what size speakers are in a colorado ?

Back