Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Storage solutions.

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
Hi guys..
I'm looking for ideas for storage solutions. And thought it may be nice for there to be a post for others.

Has anyone got leisure batteries under the truck?
External water tank?
Other little external storage?

I have tailgate storage sorted.

We are changing our truck around so space internally is going to be limited. At the min we have a 70L water tank internal that has to go.

I'm not having draws in the truck as I need to keep space.
All ideas /photos welcome

I've been thinking of changing the layout in the back of my 80 so I will be watching this thread with interest. I will be keeping the option of sleeping in the back but also moving the fridge/freezer there as well and having access via the rear drivers side door,(seats are removed)

I've been thinking of changing the layout in the back of my 80 so I will be watching this thread with interest. I will be keeping the option of sleeping in the back but also moving the fridge/freezer there as well and having access via the rear drivers side door,(seats are removed)

Yes we need the option to be able to sleep in the truck too Chas if the weather is bad.
I expect getting in through one of the rear doors would be better for you rather than the back.

Well Optima batteries can be mounted at any angle so they could go under the truck. But I let a battery box into the floor of Lil Blue which worked well. There's room under the passenger floor to do this too. Not perhaps the most convenient location there though. Also you can go 12v and use the location under the bonnet for a leisure battery. External water tanks are tricky as they just seem very hard to seal against dirt ingress. Frontrunner do a flat tank that goes behind the seats. I have one that you could play about with. It all depends on your build of course. I have a shower in my 80 and love it. It gets used, but is it essential? No. You have to consider just how much water you need. For a month's trip across the Sahara, then it's going to be quite a bit, but for places where there are shops, frankly if you had 5l in a plastic bottle I doubt you'd ever run out.

I like the batterybox idea Chris. Not thought of that.
We seem to cane water for some reason.
I'll have a look on tank sizes etc. The 70L one is pretty crazy though. We havnt the room in the truck for it.

photo 2-3.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a bit of space under the front seats - I tend to keep tools and small spares under there that I don't need regular access to.

Get rid of the heater matrix and there's even more. Certainly enough to drop a battery box in actually.

I have seen a few people carry water in a tube, 2m long 6 or 8" dia. Mounted much like the foxwing awnings are, to the outside.on the roof rack. Can pump in air, to keep it pressurised.

I have been trying to see how best to use all the blank.space in the front bumper. Either want to make it an air tank, or a water tank.

i've got one of the front runner upright tanks that Chris mentioned. Its a brilliant use of otherwise dead space (depending on the configuration of course).

Not sure about keeping water on the roof as its a lot of weight up there but I am looking at solutions for water storage under the car running along the sides (under the doors) where currently there isn't much. I think frontrunner also do water storage to replace the spare wheel carrier.

Like those battery boxes.

The chassis rails may be in the way of putting a battery box under the front seats but removing the rear heater must be one of the easiest ways to gain a little bit of extra storage space.

There's probably space to drop a box through the floor under the drivers side back seat - over the exhaust main silencer - there's usually dead space especially if you've done away with the silencer but check for where the chassis rail runs first ;)

I too liked the battery boxes but with my setup I decided against due to having to remove everything to gain access having said that I could have made an access hatch like I have done with an optima behind the right rear wheel arch … here.
IMG_2011.JPG

It fits in there quite snugly (thanks Chris for the inspiration) and I have the terminal and relay board above it. My drawer unit comes out fairly easily but has access panels in the side. I've managed to replace the Optima through the panel without too much trouble.

Quick mention here for 'Surplusamps' on EBay for used and new batteries at good prices with an excellent service when I found my used Optima to be only lasting a day.

I looked at water tanks and in the process came across CAK tanks on the net. They seem to do most types and sizes and are worth a look IMO.
Linkee here. http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

Last edited:
Well done Rich. First product on your link is exactly what I have been thinking. Thanks.

As i'd expect the battery box wiring is looking very neat and tidy (mental note taken). Hate to be nosey but..

Is that a data point? (top right of box) Do explain?

Whats the thing in the other box? Air compressor?

Guys all these storage ideas and space savers are v interesting and useful.
I have an internal water tank, shower connections, and drawer system and fridge/ freezer and no back seats. Also have been thinking about how to reconfigure the space useage to allow for two of us to sleep in the back in really rough weather. I will be interested to see how this thread pans out. Photos are super helpful for ideas. Cheers, Bosworth

Guys all these storage ideas and space savers are v interesting and useful.
I have an internal water tank, shower connections, and drawer system and fridge/ freezer and no back seats. Also have been thinking about how to reconfigure the space useage to allow for two of us to sleep in the back in really rough weather. I will be interested to see how this thread pans out. Photos are super helpful for ideas. Cheers, Bosworth

Similar to what were needing to do Bosworth.

For external water storage I am still trying to find the specs for the 30l Longranger water tank that fits under the passenger side sill, to see if a cheaper and larger version could be made.

For external water storage I am still trying to find the specs for the 30l Longranger water tank that fits under the passenger side sill, to see if a cheaper and larger version could be made.
Have you looked at CAK tanks (link above)?

Back