Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange Noise - starting

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
A while ago, I started up and the starter motor seemed to stick on as it continued to turn while the engine was running. Since then, after I start it up and the starter stops spinning as normal, I can hear what sounds like a dry bearing spinning to a standstill. It only ever happens when I start it up. It sounded like a starter problem, so I replaced it with new, but the noise continues just the same. I did consider whether it would be clutch related but given it only ever happens on start up, I discounted it especially as that is also new.

Am a bit stumped TBH, and given we are only a couple of weeks from departing on our trip I would like to figure it out and decide what to do.

anyone any ideas ?

I sometimes hear it on mine. It's not intrusive but if I listen closely I can hear it. I think it's just the starter itself spinning to a stop when the pinion gear disengages on release of the key.

I had the same thing, yet a replacement starter unit resolved the problem.

Can't think what could be occurring here, unless it's the same as TP suggested...

Try starting with the clutch pedal depressed. May be the thrust bearing just picking up as you start and rolling to a stop, rare but have seen it before. Also I note the solenoid 'thrust pin', is often a little too long 'out of the box', this keeps the starter dog engaged for just a second or two too long. Given this is a replacement starter and the sound has not changed, perhaps the ignition switch/relays contacts sticking for a second or two, thus allowing the starter dog to reach speeds it was not designed for?

regards

Dave

Dave, thanks. I did wonder about the relay given the fact that the starter motor stayed engaged and continued to run until I turned the car off. That the noise continues post replacement further points to it. Will track it down and see if I can find a replacement.

Back