Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

strange starting problem

While searching for genuine Toyota plugs i have learnt that the diesel heater light on the dash is just a reminder and is in no way actually connected to the plugs , and the temperature sensor (not sure if its the one on the intake or the one to the dash gauge?) tells the ecu to fire glow plugs so if the sensor is weak dirty or on its way out the ecu won't get the message causing starting problems much like you describe .

You know a lot more about these trucks than me mate but i figure the above is good information to share as it might help the next fella with starting issues .

Yeah, there are two temp sensors. One located towards the front of the block (intake side) and one to to the back of the engine just below the throttle area on the block/head.

I've replaced/checked these so I know these cant be the problem but yeah, I have read some threads of a bad sensor causing poor start ups!

Update -

Clocked over 5000 miles since the fixed head and all has been well. I've noticed a bit more blowby than usual, which doesn't seem to coming in from the bottom end. The blowby is only really visible on idle, as through revving the engine seems to balance out fine.

Longer start up than usual is still there along with a slight hesitation in building up speed between 70-80 mph. Other than that she drives very nice, not losing oil or water.

On the start up side of things, what RPM do you guys 90 series starters turn the engine over at? Mines sitting pretty much spot on 200RPM. Not sure if it should be 250RPM. Replaced the starter contacts not so long ago so they should be good. Can the motor brushes be worn out?

Batteries are in excellent shape.

I have meaning to answer this since you posted mate but i only seem to remember when i'm halfway down the road :doh:

I would say mine fires at 200 with a roughtrax 2.7kw starter fitted about 9 months ago and a new varta battery about 3 months ago .

Thanks Shayne, I'll probably be looking towards having the injectors reconditioned as I reckon that's what's giving the ever so slightly longer start and slight fuel starvation/shudder at 70-80mph. Seems to be a common symptom among other diesel trucks

What about the timing belt it's to be changed every 40k miles iirc ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Timing belt was changed about 20,000 miles ago, and I think the service interval is every 60,000 miles?

But I am planning on changing it again in couple months time after making a trip back to england, being that I've had it on and off a few times now since messing around with the pump and head.

Back