Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stuck Odometer

69FJ-KY

Country Flag
united_states
Hi guys, my FJ odometer spins the 10ths of a mile but then hangs up when it should roll the mile over. I'm not worried about regulation/legal at this point because the whole thing is a rebuild, but it would be nice to see how many miles *I* actually put on it... so would prefer it works. I'm guessing these things are intentionally rather well locked down... any suggestion? Wondering if it is just old and getting hung or has a bad odometer gear in there.

Very Common issue. The "lubricant" between the odometer gears turns to more of a paste and gums the movement. There is a good thread on IH8Mud that walks through display cluster removal and repair. Not hard, but not quick.

Found it. Now that is some tinkering. Well, going to be fun at least!

Fiddly job. Use a quality lubricant like Gibbs which does not attract the dust.

Regards,

Rodger

Well, was doing good but now I can't get the final assembly undone. There is a brass part on the right side that appears to come off for others- but no matter what I do I can't get this thing off- and afraid to break anything. I can turn the odometer and for sure it's stuck on the 100/1000/10000 but the 0/10 are spinning fine. Wish I could get this brass part off... is there some secret?

IMG_6291.jpg

Back