Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Subscriptions - forum update. Please read.

Just seen this thread...

I totally agree with your summary Chris.

So lets be clear with what needs to be raised and what does it need to cover?

Hosting Fees?
Software?
Hardware?
CP/Moderators Time?

If subscriptions are truly needed then I've got no problem with the principal of paying, but it should be a donation rather than a subscription IMO as there is a huge spread of user level and the last thing any of us want is to Alienate/deter anyone from participating!

FWIW - IH8MUD seem to have a good system - you pay if you're a business and if you want to turn off the advertising!

Seeing as I have been a part of this community for over 4 years now I would pay up if there was no other option to keep the site going. But as it stands this message has come a bit out of the blue and it seems as though all other options of reducing cost have not been considered. Free hosting has been offered now and in the past and seeing as CP is still paying for hosting I am asking myself is there a downside to the free hosting offers? If there are what are they? Or are there particular benefits for paying for site hosting? Are there any other costs in running the site if free hosting were to be used? These are the sort of questions that remain unanswered and I feel need to be answered before we start a subscription service.

As for sponsors, yes I think it would be a great idea. On one particular car forum I used to use the site was solely sponsored by a main dealership who in turn got a huge volume of forum customers in from all over the country for discount servicing and parts. Some sites are sponsored by the vehicles manufactures themselves. How about increasing the Lincomb meet fees to cover the cost of the site or have the site sponsored by Lincomb Farm (after Tony has taken his share for the use of his land)? Obviously there is a some work involved here which does not have to be carried out by CP. Maybe we should appoint a treasurer or similar to secure funds from sponsors to keep the site going?

Also in this day and age people expect online services to be free of charge and you would only expect to pay for high bandwidth services where it is difficult to imbed adverts to the "consumer" like file sharing or picture hosting websites or when you are requesting access to intellectual property. Even if the majority of the content was available without subscription is will still put people off joining for the simple fact that the average user expects a forum to be free of charge as all other forums are free of charge. Adverts do not put people off, unless they are ridiculous. A donation box or lifetime subscriptions IMO will not put people off but lifetime subscriptions may be a bit of a sore point as they were used on the other site. You could turn adverts off to registered users, meaning only visitors would have to look at the ads which could remove the need for forum members to pay. Is there enough traffic for this to work?

Last edited:
As others have said, it is the 'feel' of this forum that sets it apart and is its strength. It is not something you could easily get back if lost. In my opinion a subscription would not support this feel. Advertising or sponsorship would be less likely to affect it. Free hosting would ensure it stays as it is.

Does not have to be a bean counter Paul, just suggesting that CP does not have to do everything and could ask for help with for example securing sponsors weather it be services, funds or anything else that is required to keep the site running.

I have mailed Milners with a suggestion just to see if they feel it's appropriate.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry guys this just a load of tosh!

Talk of exhausting all other avenues, free hosting, appointing treasures, deciding on surplus funds, losing the feel of the forum.... etc etc etc.

Yet some are happily discussing paying a £10 deposit for Lincomb just to register in interest in going; possibly 3 times a year.:confusion-shrug:

It's 3p per day FFS!

Is it worth an email to Simon at toyota??? We do put a lot of business his way so may be worth a try.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

For what it's worth, I would be happy to pay a subscription. I may not be "one of the lads" as it were, I'm denied Lincomb simply by my location, but I'm totally addicted to the write ups, I feel like I've been there and that I know many of you Guys.

if the subs were pitched correctly, then some of the money could subsidize the event and similar events. I'll probably never be able to attend any of them (unless the club decides on a 3 day tour of the Transalpina, wish, wish!) but I wouldn't object to my subs contributing to events as well as to the running of the Site.

Suggesting that subs would kill the Site is a bit like saying road tax would kill the future of the motor car, IMO. Why does everyone want something for nothing these days? It's beyond me. Normally, the free stuff is heavily dosed with advertisements and suffers because its aimed at the lowest common denominator of the masses.

Im certainly not suggesting that's the case for this Site, because I think it's fantastic, that's why I'd rather pay than see it decline.

My pennyworth, for what it's worth.

Sorry guys this just a load of tosh!

Talk of exhausting all other avenues, free hosting, appointing treasures, deciding on surplus funds, losing the feel of the forum.... etc etc etc.

Yet some are happily discussing paying a £10 deposit for Lincomb just to register in interest in going; possibly 3 times a year.:confusion-shrug:

It's 3p per day FFS!
Why spend money when you do not need to, especially if it seems as though it is possible to do so without changing the fundamental way this site works? The Lincomb event deposit is achieving something similar by delaying payment until its actually required without compromising on the event.

Sorry Lazz, you clearly don't get us. It's not about THE money, it's about MONEY. The amount is irrelevant. Free is free, 1p isn't free. 1p or 12,000p it makes no difference. We are talking about a principle here. I think the mistake if I may be so bold was to have mentioned a possible amount at this time. The question is do we charge or don't we. If we said yes, then we need to set a charge. That could be £9.00 or £17.50 By saying straight out it needs to be about £12.00 the cost has become the distraction from the discussion.

£12.00 is next to nothing but it's not nothing. Likening it to Lincomb fees just doesn't work in my view. It's completely different. It's like saying you pay for your groceries in Tesco, so why not for a web site.

We really need to get back to the principle, I'm sorry. If paying is far simpler than trying to go around the houses to get it all for free, then let's have that discussion and agree a fee and how to pay. As yet, we haven't had that answered.

See?

You are wrong CJ, I do get you. I just don't agree with the issue of this being a principle.

I like this site, indeed I like and respect many of the members on here, some I've met many not. I have learnt a lot and I hope given a little back too!

But this whole "principle bit", because people want it for free, is in my view totally wrong.

Olazz Do you think that the wealth of knowledge this forum provides would exist if it had been charged for from the start. I feel New blood always need to be coming through the door and fear the community here may stagnate if it is put off by a fee. I have no problem paying because I know people here and also know the value of their experience and the collective experience of the forum. But newcomers will not and that is what worries me.

I agree 100% with Chris that other avenues need to be explored to keep this wealth of information free, not for those of us who know it value but for those that don't yet

.... If paying is far simpler than trying to go around the houses to get it all for free, then let's have that discussion and agree a fee and how to pay. As yet, we haven't had that answered.
No discussion needed, see post No1 in this thread Chris.

Cris created this place and has freely kept things going for over 3 years now, so let's support his decision and not continue discussing 'ifs' and 'buts'.

Folks keep referring to 'free hosting'.... I'm guessing you don't appreciate the amount of behind the scenes time that goes into keeping a place like this going?

Oh yes I do. Just because I am not capable of doing it, don't mistake that for not understanding Paul. I can't perform open heart surgery either, but I know it's pretty tricky.

Lazz, OK that's clear. But you did say it was 3p per day ffs, which indicated that it was about the amount of money. If it's not a principle then I'm truly not sure what it is.

I just don't see why we can't have a conversation about this to establish some answers and actually establish a way forward. 'Just pay up' isn't a conversation.

To be fair to Crispin (are you there mate or in hiding?) WE created this place. it's more than just the hosting and admin, it's the community. Without content it's just an empty space.

BTW Paul, Cripsin did say "Feedback and suggestions welcome. " well that's what this is if you didn't recognise it.

Last edited:
I'm no IT buff but I can imagine that keeping this Site on the straight and narrow (not to mention actually working as well as it does) takes a lot of time and devotion.

Im all for keeping it free if that principle can be maintained. But, and it's a big but, I'd much rather pay than see it decline, IF paying is the answer.

I don't want to put off new blood any more than the next member, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see the Site go by the wayside. I'm not a founding member, and I know I contribute very little. But, I love the Site and I'll do anything I can to maintain its existence.

To be fair to Crispin (are you there mate or in hiding?) .

He's out working all the hours god sends to put beer on his children and shoes in his fridge.:lol:

Last edited:
Folks keep referring to 'free hosting'.... I'm guessing you don't appreciate the amount of behind the scenes time that goes into keeping a place like this going?
I do, I've done it and still host many sites and used to host this one and am happy to do it again, as I do for quite a few hobby type sites, or there is Andrew's offer which sounds good, there is really no need for a subscription to pay for hosting fees. Crispin has done a fantastic job of looking after the forum and I've already said, if it's about the time then Crispin can step back as much as he needs to and let others take the strain.

Last edited:
Right, daughter to bed, wife to bed, work done - time to read and re-read. Only managed to read some of the responses on my phone today hence the quietness. (anyone want to swap jobs?)

Some very interesting and impassioned responses and very valid points for quite a few. My main aim is to keep this forum going and growing and to invest in it from a functionality point of view. I don't expect anything back from it financially. As I've said, there are a number of things I would like to do to improve it but either stall at the "meh, not going to pay for that plugin even if it is only £20" or the "meh, it a free forum, let me see what's on TV". Do I want to make money out of it, buy my yacht and retire? I can't see a forum making you financially independent.

I can't reply to each point made but have (I think) read them all (and you're still bloody replying as I type this. Can't keep up)

So we have a number of options:

• Sponsorship
  • Adverts
  • Free hosting
  • Subs (or more friendly named, annual contributions)
  • Ad-Donations

Sponsorship
This is an option if we can get it. I'll have a chat with Simon to see if they can help towards it. I know Chris has sent an email to Milners (thanks BTW!) along the same lines. Anyone else know of someone else? A while back I approached known people in two companies, who knew of us and trade they got because of us and referrals, and neither had the courtesy to reply. One was not on the east coast of the UK, the other was slightly north of here. I think companies are happy to part with money for adverts but had an interesting response to sponsorship. I'm happy to entertain this and see how it goes.

Adverts
I had a look at mud and some other forums and their adverts. They're peppered in among the posts. Personally, I don't like adverts on sites but if that works then we can look at that. As with a lot of things I subscribe to, you can opt to have them turned off. A guy sitting next to me enjoys free music at work and does not mind the adverts. I happily pay my £6.99 a month to have no adverts. Both options are there.

Free hosting
Thanks for all the offers. The site currently uses about 12GB of storage and about 50GB a month on traffic. As part of the move and upgrade, I signed up to a better (more expensive) server. When we started having more trouble with that I upgraded again. This time to a bigger, standalone server. This has been flawless since. The deal I struck with the provider binds me in a termed contract.
The caution I have at jumping at the free hosting offers, and this is only a musing, is that the forum cannot be passed around to the whomever wants to host it this month. A slight exaggeration but free always has downsides.

Subs
Been having a think about this. I didn't assume for a minute that value would be an issue. I was wondering though about the "well, it used to be free and you're saying it's not". Likewise, the "feel" and the "community" is not in the technical sections (well, with the exception of the LJ70 build thread :lol:).
The two-tiered type of users - would that be an issue? I mused over the membership "on the other sight". A lot of people were happy to pay that. I did not think it created an us-and-them feel? I was not one of the paid up people. I was not a member for long enough to think about it. While there were no explicit restrictions to what paid vs. non-paid could do, there was, and still is, an issue with those who don't pay for his food. Classifieds were ok so long as there were not to many of them then you were ponced upon as you were profiting from it all.
If there is some small contribution made then I am also obliged, by my own morals, to keep improving the site, adding to it and investing in it.
We're 3 versions behind the current software. There are some good features (collective eye-rolling going on ;) ) in the new software which would improve how you use it.

Ad-hoc Donations
As I've said before, the donations to cover the cost of the upgrade and anti-spam thing were great. I can't see a donation model working as it would always be the same few people dipping their hand to help out.

First and foremost, this is a community. It's nothing without the users - both takers and givers. To fracture that would be daft. The whole idea was indeed to start something that the users could have a say on. I think I've done pretty well on that front and not exactly gone against that ethos? I'm not about to start dictating not "just barging ahead" - that would be pointless. I floated an idea, which, on re-reading, seemed pretty definite in how I wrote it but happy to look at it from all angles.

The two tiered system is already in place. Only after a certain amount of posts can you download the manuals or edit your posts or join the Pub etc. Shortly after putting the download section up a user, newly registered with zero posts sent me a PM, no salutation, no signature - "Why can I not download the manuals? I only registered to download a manual for a 70 series"
When I replied that they're available once you have a certain amount of posts and therefore an active member, I got a reply "well, what's the point of having them there if I cannot download them?"
I decided not to reply. Does he feel there is a two-tiered membership?

I'm not tired of the site, I am not bored of it. I don't have the black LC any more so don't ask many questions about creaking or groaning but still very much enjoy the social side of it.
I do't want it to stagnate from an interface PoV. "The other site" is stagnant from a software PoV and has no investment. We moved up from the free stuff to the, arguably, very best forum software. I would like to keep that going.

I think that is all I can say for now. (my brain hurts and the redbull is wearing off)
In a nutshell -
- sponsorship is an option I am willing to look into. If it covers costs and has change for upgrades and bits and pieces, I'm all ears.
- adverts are an option. There can be an option to have them turned off.
- free hosting is very much appreciated but I'm committed (financially with the provider and to improving on the site) to this setup as it is.
- subs / annual donation / "ad turning off" fees will go towards covering the costs and a bit of investment in the forum.
- ad-hoc donations will get tedious for the members and won't be sustainable.

Cheers,
Crispin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back