Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Super Stealth 120 Sliders

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
First post over here in the 120 section so I'll apologise now for the lack of piccies but I am terrible at taking photo's while I'm working.

Had another visit from Trev and his 120 last week. (Always fun.:lol:)

Now remembering how much of a cold ass he is and that the temperature was due to drop I though it best that I upgraded my workshop heater.:happy-bouncyredfir:

2014-01-30122520_zpsabbaeda1.jpg

2014-01-30122532_zps7903b694.jpg

So with Trev a happy "Warm" bunny (He took 3 layres off before 9am but still had 3 on mind) I put him to work before we started cleaning up the rust from the Landy we had had in the day before.

2014-02-05072541_zps0fe95e27.jpg

I though it best to put him to work as I knew this (see photo below:sleeping-sleep:) would be his most common pose for the next 2 days.

2014-02-05173515_zpsc1a9afc8.jpg

tut tut tut tut didn't even keep up with his coffee making duties. :eusa-naughty:

But enough of that silliness time for some pics of the build. or at least the final stages.

The brief for this project was to have some sliders made for the 120 but Mrs Trev put her 2p in and made the decision that she didn't like tread plate or the open bar look so a new plan had to be formulated.

After a looksey on Toyodiy it appeared that the OE side steps are in 3 parts. 1 ally and 2 plastic. so we planned, over the phone without ever looking at the vehicle that this would be the basis of the plan

Basically replace the ally "step" and skinny supports with some beefy steel and refit the plastics ontop.

So I guess this is the basic Skeleton of the slider. IMHO they sit alot lower than I would like, nearly 2" below the sill. This can and will be altered for our production products but to get the plastics in this is what had to be done. Even done this way though they still run level with the chassis rails so all good on that front.

2014-02-06162147_zpscc36aadc.jpg

2014-02-06162211_zpsc456a3ec.jpg

2014-02-06162225_zpsebda00db.jpg

Next we attached the first set of plastics.

2014-02-06163027_zpsfe2b4e48.jpg

2014-02-06163038_zpse8a03e9c.jpg

And this is the finished product.

833B4588-4905-42CD-91DC-8D4EB9CB6B2F_zps334a040a.jpg

0B6792C8-ECA3-4056-8E1D-A60B6F895B67_zps36007554.jpg

71835CD0-807F-48AA-A21D-8292B6D25D0A_zps6d4e1240.jpg

DC7F1478-3BBC-4439-BAF4-4DA97E079917_zps61a8bcdd.jpg

043DE20E-F940-4423-B992-3F3AB32EE3E0_zpsde23af3e.jpg

73921BE0-4941-4DB6-8D3F-ED9C982D8B66_zpse32f5a9a.jpg

7C4E1ADE-1219-4CF1-8CFA-A98A8D4342C4_zpsff7be970.jpg

9B8F7A21-9CB0-4E2F-BBEE-47EA7CA0EA31_zpsc88d2ead.jpg

Nice work Chris. :thumbup:

Loving your new long burner BTW. Hardly have to cut wood to length with it being that long, smashed up old pallets....just keep feeding them in. :clap:

They look fantastic, you wouldn't even know there were sliders under there, well done Chris. :thumbup:

Brilliant work Chris, putting up with Trev I mean, the sliders look good too.

Very nice. How have you attached them to the vehicle - can't quite make it out from your pics?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice work, neat and discreet.

Sounds like the conversation my missus had at me about keeping the side steps :lol:

:thumbup: i like that a lot and when i change to a 120 i will be looking at these. what sort of price would they be selling for?

I really do have to hand it to Chris, he ran with the idea in principle over the phone about reusing the plastics to keep Mrs Trev happy and we both knew it would be a "work it out as we go along" approach. I would have got hung up on detail and measuring before ever getting round to cutting anything, Chris was just able to check a few fundamental areas and get straight into it.

Shows how his experience of making sliders for different trucks comes into it's own as he know what to look for, pure genius Chris and thanks for another brilliant job done. I couldn't add anything to the creative process so happily took up my perch next to the burner, was very toasty.

If I seriously off roaded the 120 then we would have ended up with a higher position but for a daily drive that see's the occasional bit of action, this is a good compromise. I can always do a suspension lift if I need a bit more clearance.

Like the log burner :icon-cool: Nice that the real sliders are not visible and keep Mrs Trev happy :icon-cool: think you need to sack the camera man though :whistle:

Those are very nice. It's the one thing I was sad about with the black one. Wish now I did not sell....

Chris, do have a price for these? PM me if you prefer

Nice work Chris. :thumbup:

Loving your new long burner BTW. Hardly have to cut wood to length with it being that long, smashed up old pallets....just keep feeding them in. :clap:

Cheers Ben. I have a constant supply of free pallets so it was designed to fit them in. Thinking of calling it the Angeln Saddleback as opposed to the Oz Pig. lol

Very nice. How have you attached them to the vehicle - can't quite make it out from your pics?

The clamp either side of the chassis rail at 3 points Gary.

I really do have to hand it to Chris, he ran with the idea in principle over the phone about reusing the plastics to keep Mrs Trev happy and we both knew it would be a "work it out as we go along" approach. I would have got hung up on detail and measuring before ever getting round to cutting anything, Chris was just able to check a few fundamental areas and get straight into it.

Shows how his experience of making sliders for different trucks comes into it's own as he know what to look for, pure genius Chris and thanks for another brilliant job done. I couldn't add anything to the creative process so happily took up my perch next to the burner, was very toasty.

If I seriously off roaded the 120 then we would have ended up with a higher position but for a daily drive that see's the occasional bit of action, this is a good compromise. I can always do a suspension lift if I need a bit more clearance.

Thanks Trev. But bigger thanks to Mrs Trev for keeping her foot firmly planted to the floor and pushing this build the way it should always have gone.

Like the log burner :icon-cool: Nice that the real sliders are not visible and keep Mrs Trev happy :icon-cool: think you need to sack the camera man though :whistle:

Thanks john. the finished article pics were taken by Trev all others by me on a Samsung Galaxy S with a camera that is scratched to hell but I am sure you get the gist.:lol:

If you decide to make more, I would be interested to buy a set, or a copy of your drawings?
Cheers Andrew

Well finally got some time and fitted the drivers side super stealth sliders. Was easy enough just took a while. 20140504_170344.jpg20140504_170353.jpg

Now to do the other (harder I believe) side

And next week we learn how to hold the camera the right way :)

They do look good and not noticeable.

Should have had them for my 120 - mine were in tatters. I wonder if the 150 will take them :think: and then snorkel :think: :eusa-naughty:

And next week we learn how to hold the camera the right way :)

:wtf: Posted from phone cause thats where the pictures were. Would have thought that someone as smart as you would have fixed the forum to rotate pics the right way round automagically :icon-twisted:

Back