Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Superpro control arm bush's

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I was inspecting the suspension components under my LC yesterday and was surprised to discover one of the rear axle upper control/trailing arms was really loose at its front mount on chassis - the bush is worn around the inner sleeve
I checked and tried to wiggle all these control arms in May before we went down to Wales and Lakes for 4 days of greenlaning, and the arm had no movement at all then! so it has worn quickly

Now, Mike on here, who lives a few miles from me - offered me a roughtrax set of superpro bushes at cut-price a while ago because he doesnt need them. So i can fit these as a short-term fix
but think Toyota rubber bushes would be better long term

on toyodiy i can only see replacement rubber bushes listed for the lower rear axle control arms, the rear axle upper control arms only seem to have a part no. for the whole arm, incl bushes
same for the lateral control arm (panard)

my concern with superpro, would the ride might be too harsh and also limit axle articulation offroad, and also stress the mounting points more than the toyota bushes

thoughts?

cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Have had polybushes fitted to my 2001 FX since about 2006. Still excellent ride & not noticed off-road limitations - not that we've pushed it at all (just dodging Herefordshire potholes is enough)! All mountings still perfect. Hope this helps.

Euan

Have had polybushes fitted to my 2001 FX since about 2006. Still excellent ride & not noticed off-road limitations - not that we've pushed it at all (just dodging Herefordshire potholes is enough)! All mountings still perfect. Hope this helps.

Euan

+1

Had mine on for about 18months and all seems well. Ride is good and I can't see any reduction in articulation. Wear seems good Dirty Gal is well used both onn and off the black stuff and I find them well up to the job.

I haven't had any trouble with my Superpro bushes, and would fit them again.

My panhard rod super pro bushes seem OK and I'm considering changing all my bushes to super pro shortly. :icon-biggrin:

good to hear view on them - thanks

but for now ordered 2 new upper control arms from Simon (since bushes not available separately) - at least it makes fitting them much easier unbolt, fit new one and bolt up again:icon-biggrin: - no bushes to press, cut, curse, blowtorch out, and then press in

given i am taking the vehicle to Alps for 2 weeks and Morocco for 3 weeks this year, i was concerned about the stiffness of the superpro kit stressing the mounting points on rear axle - these have been known to fail

going to check the lower control arm bushes again, with weight off the axle to make sure they are OK

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Suspension bolts should be tightened after you have bounced the motor up and down a few times and with the axles loaded.

Roger

thanks Rodger - I will do that when i fit the new een's

Who is this Mike Guy? I'm quite interested in his rear superpro bushes if he wants to sell them?

Fiited the new upper control arms last night.

on the old ones the near-side front bushing was really bad, and offside front inner collar also loose within bushing (but no detectable play when on the vehicle)

when i jacked up the end slightly 2 days ago, i could not feel any play in the bushings on the worn one, only when vehicle sitting on the ground

the rear bushings of both arms were solid, no wear (photo on right)

Attachments

• IMG-20130605-00983.jpg
    IMG-20130605-00983.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20130605-00984.jpg
    IMG-20130605-00984.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I don't know the "proper" way to check these but I find slight weight / ground angle differences make a huge difference. Found a very lose / knocking top arm when crawling under my 120. Bought new bushes. Couldn't get arm on either side to move with wheels on ground or axles hanging and couldn't remember which was the bad one. In the end unbolted both top arms at one end and gave them a waggle - when it became very obvious which was the dud. It's so easy to unbolt one end of one arm at a time, that's what I'd do now. Getting the old bushes out is a 10 min job if you need to do it. Blowtorch the rubber till you can knock it out with a screwdriver. Cut the old metal bush surround with a reciprocating saw. Knock out old surround. I have a 25 ton press and haven't had any joy pushing bushes out.

Back